The Student Room Group
I'm sorry .....I hope you don't mind me asking but how old was she when she was diagnosed? And how long did she live after? (Or in fact is she still living?) If it's too personal don't worry, I didn't want to stress anybody out which is why I asked the medics! lol
Reply 2
annabellewalter
Has anybody here studied liver cancer?

I vaguely remember it. Why? :frown:
Basically I have read loads of different things about it and can't seem to get any trustworthy and consistent information. I know someone who has just been diagnosed, he recovered from Liver Cirrhosis last year and is 60 years old, what sort of treatment is there? And is it likely he will therefore die soon ish? As a quite old, ex alcholic patient, surely he is at the bottom of the priority list or doesnt it work like that?
Reply 4
i think cancerous liver tumours are mainly secondary cancers, derived from cancers in the GI tract, breast or lung.

it can also develop from other stuff such as hepatitis and cirrhosis (mainly from alcohol).

treatment most commonly involves surgical resection or transplantation. each case is individual with respect to prognosis depending on how far gone / how big / how nasty the cancer is and whereabouts on the liver it is.
Thanks for that
Reply 6
annabellewalter
Basically I have read loads of different things about it and can't seem to get any trustworthy and consistent information. I know someone who has just been diagnosed, he recovered from Liver Cirrhosis last year and is 60 years old, what sort of treatment is there? And is it likely he will therefore die soon ish? As a quite old, ex alcholic patient, surely he is at the bottom of the priority list or doesnt it work like that?

not necessarily, although a younger non-drinker who didn't have the cancer secondary to cirrhosis would probably be placed higher.

nobody can really give you a prognosis without being his actual doctor. and even then it can be sketchy.
Reply 7
My grandad has liver cancer, its a secondary cancer from bowel cancer, he has had the affected bowels removed and now uses a bag, however the cancer has spread to the liver. Doctors are hoping they can treat it with drugs though if not radio theropy, but they said if they need to operate it on it the operation will be even more complex and serious than the one to remove his bowels :frown:

I know they can remove a certain amount of the liver and it will grow back but all I understand of it is from what doctors have told my grandad.

PS Just for the new message I have read, my grandad was 78 when he had his operation, he told the doctors he drank 12 pints a week, he wasn't placed at the bottom of the list, or at least it only took a month for the actual surgery.
I figured, but I just read a site that said, undiagnosed 3-6 months prognosis and treated 12-18 months. Shocked me a bit. I don't really know why.
Reply 9
AT82
PS Just for the new message I have read, my grandad was 78 when he had his operation, he told the doctors he drank 12 pints a week, he wasn't placed at the bottom of the list, or at least it only took a month for the actual surgery.

sorry to hear that.

and did you mean he had a liver transplant operation at 78 or a liver resection?
Reply 10
timeofyourlife
sorry to hear that.

and did you mean he had a liver transplant operation at 78 or a liver resection?

Argh sorry, no the operation was to remove his bowels as he had advanced cancer in them, but the doctors thought the operation was worth doing. Then they discovered it had spread to the liver but in December they thought it was quite a minor thing, he's not heared about that.
Reply 11
AT82
Argh sorry, no the operation was to remove his bowels as he had advanced cancer in them, but the doctors thought the operation was worth doing. Then they discovered it had spread to the liver but in December they thought it was quite a minor thing, he's not heared about that.

i hope he's not in too much pain.

interestingly, i read that 25% of patients with cancer don't get any pain at all. i'd hardly call that a massive consolation though.

and re: the liver transplant...there is an assessment with regards to alcohol intake and you are prioritised according to certain lifestyle factors for such an operation.
He's not drank for about 2 years, since he was last hospitalised with his cirrhosis
Reply 13
timeofyourlife
i hope he's not in too much pain.

interestingly, i read that 25% of patients with cancer don't get any pain at all. i'd hardly call that a massive consolation though.

and re: the liver transplant...there is an assessment with regards to alcohol intake and you are prioritised according to certain lifestyle factors for such an operation.

Well he's not drank a thing since the operation, and when he did drink it was with at his local pub with his mates, it was very much a social thing as he is very young for his age. he gave up smoking 20 years ago but thats more the lungs.

He hasn't been in much pain although the stiches are very painful, the main symptons were before the operation he needed the toilet all the time, he is more back to his old self now, he is 79 in a few weeks and has a new hobby of surfing the internet on his computer. The last tiem I saw him he managed to get insurnace quotes on his own on the net, not bad since three weeks ago he had never used a computer in is life :wink:

From what the doctors have said though the operation is quite serious.
annabellewalter
He's not drank for about 2 years, since he was last hospitalised with his cirrhosis

Having liver cirrhosis will not help its regeneration capacity if he does have a resection :frown:
Although if it is a primary tumour he may be a good patient for liver transplant.

Latest