The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ucl
Reply 21
iceman_jondoe
Well you will be a doc, but depending on what you want to do there you have to sit about 2-3 exams, A friend of mine is going to do it, but not sure about the process entirely.

For the US you have to take two more Step Papers, called USMLE I think. 1st one is kinda like basic sciences, 2nd one is kinda like finals. Then you can practise in the States.
Reply 22
Elles
Might be easier to work out which medical schools aren't 'red brick' or 'russell group' universities, if that has any relevance?
Most of the ones in the red brick or russell group seem to have medical schools...
Answer probably the newer ones.

Red Brick
* University of Birmingham
* University of Bristol
* University of Leeds
* University of Liverpool
* University of Manchester
* University of Sheffield

Those are the original redbricks, the "real" redbricks. But there's nothing wrong with using an expanded definition. Universities such as Newcastle (redbrick in style, solid reputation, history in medicine and the applied sciences) are very similar to the original redbricks. Same age too.

It's just Newcastle, at the time, was a Durham teaching college. In this way it differed from the redbricks as it wasn't secular and belonged to an older (pre Victorian) university.

So long as you don't go silly and start calling Warwick and York (and especially not Oxbridge, Durham or UCL) redbricks, I don't think there's any reason why we shouldn't expand the redbrick definition a little.

shriya
what about barts?

What about it? It's not a redbrick university and it's not a Russell Group uni either (not that being part of the Russell Group really matters). QMUL is part of the 1994 group.
Reply 23
Elles
Queen Mary isn't and red brick/russell group is by university.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medical_schools_in_the_United_Kingdom
Get going on the cross referencing! :p:

Barts and London is ancient! QM is older than Imperial!
Reply 24
Baki
Barts and London is ancient! QM and Barts are older than Imperial!

Even if that's true, that doesn't make them red brick universities or part of the Russell Group (again, not that being part of either should matter).
imo its the BMAT unis (Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial and UCL)
Reply 26
Blah blah blah... get your med degree and you'll realise nobody actually gives a :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:. If you're hanging on to your "med school's prestige" to help you out in your career you're :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:.
i think oxbridge, imperial and edinburgh
Touche
Blah blah blah... get your med degree and you'll realise nobody actually gives a :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:. If you're hanging on to your "med school's prestige" to help you out in your career you're :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:.

Bingo!
Reply 29
iceman_jondoe
Well a medicine degree from any UK med school is acceptable internationally. Doesnt matter if youve gone to oxrbridge or not. The only difference is the prestige of the uni if you care about it. Other than that your prob good enough as a medic who graduated elsewhere in the country, as it IS GMC approved.

A medicine degree from any UK medical school isn't necessarily acceptable everywhere - in Singapore there's a list of recognised medical schools for registration (http://www.smc.gov.sg/html/1153709442948.html), and for at least a decade more than half the medical schools in the UK weren't on that list, and even now there're still a few UK medical schools missing from the list... (Before 2003, the only UK medical degrees on the list were from Cambridge, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Oxford and London...)
Does it really matter? If they see you're a good doctor, they'll give you a job. If you're rubbish, then you won't. Plenty of rubbish doctors come out of Oxbridge, and excellent doctors will come out of the newer ones.
Reply 31
Touche

:laugh: Everyone seems to have a knee jerk reaction to the "word" prestige here.

To be fair, he's not asking which universities make better doctors because most of that is down to the individual. He just wants to know which has the best reputation INTERNATIONALLY.:yep:
I completely agree with becca2389
and ive heard great advice-
pick the Medschool that's right for YOU, none of them are particularly prestigious. fair enough, some are harder to get into then others but funnily enough that doesn't make them better. for example, in terms of entry standards Newcastle is about 5th in the league tables but their graduates do come 3rd in entrance to royal colleges exams after oxbridge. So we may be thinking harder to get into equals best medical school equals i will be a better doctor/academic but it doesnt work that way. It all depends on YOU. How you make the most of your opportunities. I have a distant cousin who is a surgeon from leicester with cambridge graduates underneath her (of the same age). Pick a medschool which ur gonna like and think u'll get an offer from and remmeber that although once you start getting offers ppl are going to try and measure you up depending on which med school you got into but when u graduate noone does that. No employer in their right mind gives any applicant any advantage from coming from a particular GMC-regulated medical school they will be judging YOU. And try not to get sucked into Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial are the best world- it might make sense for straight science courses or say language courses where the quality of degree does vary, but it really DOES NOT for medicine. A lot of people Ive met have turned down either applying to oxbridge (even though they were more than able) simply because they thought the medschool just wasnt right for them, or they've turned down the offer in favour of another one. It does take guts as some ppl get into the mindset that they've worked so much harder to get an offer from oxbridge and feel obliged to take it but remember oxbridge is just another medical school. And u may even relieve a lot of pressure off you from not applying to oxbridge and staying away from a dangerous world that can disillusion people.
THEY ARE ALL THE SAME
PICK WHERE YOU WILL BE MOST COMFORTABLE BEING
Baki we're all saying that there is no such thing as a prestigious medschool
Reply 34
NissanMicra
Baki we're all saying that there is no such thing as a prestigious medschool

This post seems to disagree.

psyche87
A medicine degree from any UK medical school isn't necessarily acceptable everywhere - in Singapore there's a list of recognised medical schools for registration (http://www.smc.gov.sg/html/1153709442948.html), and for at least a decade more than half the medical schools in the UK weren't on that list, and even now there're still a few UK medical schools missing from the list... (Before 2003, the only UK medical degrees on the list were from Cambridge, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Oxford and London...)

Regardless, I've heard rumours about Newcastle graduates being really good. Do they throw pixie dust on their students or something?
hehe ive heard that too. Im actually debating whether to skip Oxford and put Newcastle as my top choice the doctors ive met from there seemed to have really loved their time in Newcastle Med School and still have great academic ability (they are consistently in the top 3 of med schools when their graduates take the royal college entrance exams).

p.s. so Singapore is the judge of which medschools in the UK are the most prestigious?
Reply 36
This has been discussed a number of times (med school prestige from both a domestic and international viewpoint) there are a number of other threads. I don't think we'll have any original debate here and, instead, there'll just be a lot of repetition. It has already started. Because of this I'm closing the thread.

Latest

Trending

Trending