The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A - G481 Mechanics - [13/01/09][@1400]

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing forces and motion. The past papers are a joke- they are incredibly easy.

Mind you I have done forces, fields and energy which is considred one of the hardest
A2 modules in any subject.

Good luck to everyone. I'm aiming for 100%
Reply 21
callum Honisett
I'm doing forces and motion. The past papers are a joke- they are incredibly easy.

Mind you I have done forces, fields and energy which is considred one of the hardest
A2 modules in any subject.

Good luck to everyone. I'm aiming for 100%

Which exam are you taking?
Poshtotty
Which exam are you taking?

Forces and motion, It's on the old spec. It's basically the same as mechanics though.

I've got forces, fields and energy later on in the month.
Reply 23
callum Honisett
Forces and motion, It's on the old spec. It's basically the same as mechanics though.

I've got forces, fields and energy later on in the month.

Oh, how come you're doing the old spec. Is it a re-sit?
Poshtotty
Oh, how come you're doing the old spec. Is it a re-sit?

Yeah I got 70/90 (2 off an A last time) Aiming for 90 this time.

I didn't really understand vectors last time, they seem so easy after the A2 module though.
Reply 25
callum Honisett
Yeah I got 70/90 (2 off an A last time) Aiming for 90 this time.

I didn't really understand vectors last time, they seem so easy after the A2 module though.

Ah vectors. They drive me mad. I can do vectors when it forms a right angled triangle. Otherwise I can't do it. Something to do with the sine rule I think.
Poshtotty
Ah vectors. They drive me mad. I can do vectors when it forms a right angled triangle. Otherwise I can't do it. Something to do with the sine rule I think.

I don't do it by triangle. I resolve forces and use simultaneous equation usually. Unless it states that you must use a triangle of forces.

Done so many vectors in M1 and M2 for maths, it's beyond a joke.

Just practice again and again.
Reply 27
I completely agree with the above statement that Forces,Fields and Energy is by far the hardest in any A2 Subject. Taking it later this month. The AS modules are much this than A2, just keep practicing points on the specification and past papers on Forces and Motion, I am retaking Electrons and Photons. Good luck to everyone
Poshtotty
Have you done the specimen paper? I found it much easier than the past papers on forces and motion.

I'm still absolutely dreading the exam though. It's the way they phrase things. And Physics is one of those exams that you can't really revise much for. It's just a case of thinking very logically.

Can you tell me where i can find the specimen paper is please?

I think i'll do alright, make sure you people know your definitions!!

My revision list (to help others):

- Know your Scalar from your vector quantities.
- Know your 5 equations of motion.
- Resolving a vector (the horizontal component and vertical component)
- Newtons 3 laws.
- Definition of moment.
- Definition of a couple.
- Principle of moments.
- Conditions of equilibrium.
- Definition of Density.
- Definition of pressure.
- Car Safety shizzle ie. thinking distance, breaking distance and how to calculate it.
- Definition of Work Done.
- Efficiency.
- Definition of Power.
- The watt.
- Kinetic Energy.
- Potential Energy.
- Hookes Law
- Strain
-Stress
- Young Modulus.
- Ductile, Brittle and Polymeric Materials.
- Definition of Centre of gravity.
- Principle of conservation of energy.

I feel ready as i know all of that of by heart, but feel that the problems will get to me...

Good luck to everyone.
Reply 29
we do get given the 5 equations of motion right?
jkkk32
we do get given the 5 equations of motion right?

Not all 5, no.
I think we get given 2 though.

v^2 = u^2 +2as

and

s= ut +1/2at^2
Poshtotty

Do them by scale drawing if theý don't form a right angled triangle. I had issues with that as well but really all you have to do is draw the triangle to scale or a relevant scale and measure the resultant with your ruler.
Guys, I'm so worried about this exam. Physics is one of those that you can think you know it all and then get to the exam and get just a few nasty questions. What do you all think about the markings? Are they going to be a bit more lenient than usual cuz we are the first batch taking the new spec or does that not matter? The specimen paper was good except for that awful question with the carriage, it totally got to me and I got confused whereas the actually calcualtion wasn't so hard.

I'm a bag of nerves!
Good Luck everybody - I've got 70 taking this exam!
Reply 34
Poshtotty
You've just made me panic even more. I've been cramming it all in but as I said in a previous post, it's not one of those exams that you can really revise for.

I'm aiming for an A but mega doubtful at the moment.

Of course you can revise for physics. Perhaps not in the sense of fact-learning in the way you might for, say, History or Biology or something - but you can certainly practice lots of different problems, that way you get practice at problem solving and hopefully you'll absorb the theory more as well :smile:

You'll be fine as long as you've done some past papers. They don't usually get particularly imaginative in the sort of questions they ask.
-G-a-v-
Of course you can revise for physics. Perhaps not in the sense of fact-learning in the way you might for, say, History or Biology or something - but you can certainly practice lots of different problems, that way you get practice at problem solving and hopefully you'll absorb the theory more as well :smile:

You'll be fine as long as you've done some past papers. They don't usually get particularly imaginative in the sort of questions they ask.

Really? I thought they ask really tricky stuff in the exams! Like the theory is simple but they complicate the question?
Reply 36
annaroberts20
Really? I thought they ask really tricky stuff in the exams! Like the theory is simple but they complicate the question?

Not usually. Most questions are pretty routine. If you've done some past papers you should have a good feel for what sort of thing comes up :smile:
-G-a-v-
Not usually. Most questions are pretty routine. If you've done some past papers you should have a good feel for what sort of thing comes up :smile:

I'm doing new spec unit 1 and I have done lots of past papers, made notes from the OCR physics book and revising from the cgp revision book.
Reckon that's a good way to do it? I love physics as a subject but I get nervous for the exam.
Reply 38
annaroberts20
I'm doing new spec unit 1 and I have done lots of past papers, made notes from the OCR physics book and revising from the cgp revision book.
Reckon that's a good way to do it? I love physics as a subject but I get nervous for the exam.

Yeah its a pretty good strategy. The more practice you get the better, but spending a bit of time making sure you know your stuff as well as being able to apply it (a lot of questions start off with asking you to give a definition of something) is a good move.
Reply 39
Spongebob*No*Pants
Can you tell me where i can find the specimen paper is please?

Go on the OCR website. Go onto the page for GCE physics 2008. Make sure you're on Physics A and not Physics B. And then go onto specimen assessment material. You'll be able to download all the specimen papers for the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending