The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Enola mentioned this to me and it sounds quite interesting, is it available to english language students? Or just literature and lit/lang students?
I don't think our school even considers it, lol... My synoptic paper for English is my first exam! I've got six hours of exams on one day, lol... joy!
Reply 22
marychrist
Enola mentioned this to me and it sounds quite interesting, is it available to english language students? Or just literature and lit/lang students?

Yep it is open to Language students, or so i think the OCR website said. Also Mr P and Mrs Shaw knew nothing about the AEA !! Although Mrs Shaw has promised to find out the details and try to enter those who want to do it. It would be interesting to know if the boys English department know about it.
Enola
Yep it is open to Language students, or so i think the OCR website said. Also Mr P and Mrs Shaw knew nothing about the AEA !! Although Mrs Shaw has promised to find out the details and try to enter those who want to do it. It would be interesting to know if the boys English department know about it.

I'll ask Ms Angell, if not could I be entered as a girls school candidate?
Reply 24
marychrist
I'll ask Ms Angell, if not could I be entered as a girls school candidate?

Most probably, although Mrs shaw said that if we do it then we might have to pay to enter ourselves.
Do university's every specify that you have to achieve a certain level in the AEA as part of your offer?
i think they sometimes say they'll consider it as an alternative offer eg AAA or AAB with distinction in AEA

yes, it's open to anyone doing any of the 3 english A-levels (Eng lang, Eng lit, Eng lang/lit) cos the questions are so open-ended you can specify on whichever aspect you want and use whichever sources you want.
Enola
Most probably, although Mrs shaw said that if we do it then we might have to pay to enter ourselves.

I'm going to think about it. I don't mind paying to sit the exam, but I really need to do well in politics and this might cause more stress! Then again, I'm going to have to revise for english anyway, so..

HMM!
Reply 28
I'm taking the AEA and i'm not taking extra lessons - i just plan to go in and use the knowledge i have my A level. I'm doing the combined course and our unit 6 seems to be exactly the same as the AEA, although for the A level we get the booklet of texts the week before the exam. I think it is on the 30th - and to see how hard it will be there is a sample paper somehwere on the OCR website. I specified that i was taking this exam on my UCAS, but it doesn't seem to have helped me in the way of offers. The two offers i do have don't mention it the requirements. I don't think it will matter that much now, but might look good on your future CV. xx
I'm going to be doing it next year but there are only two of us taking it-english is the only AEA the school does and it's because we requested it! But we won't be getting any extra lessons or anything, so i'm really scared even though I do a fair amount of reading outside of the syllabus to prepare for Oxbridge interview next year.
RoisinHan
I'm going to be doing it next year but there are only two of us taking it-english is the only AEA the school does and it's because we requested it! But we won't be getting any extra lessons or anything, so i'm really scared even though I do a fair amount of reading outside of the syllabus to prepare for Oxbridge interview next year.

If you're pretty well read (and read literary theory stuff too btw) then you'll be fine I'd say.
Can't believe some schools offer extra lessons for it.. I obv. won't be taking it for a year yet, but I've had 2 ask my teachers 2 find out about them cos no1 ever takes them in history or English at my college.

the English sounds really fun I wonder what the history's like...
I'm not getting any extra lessons! I just had to ask the Head of English and he sent it all through for me - he even got the Director of Studies to say the school would pay for it :wink:

It's on the 30th June in the AM session, you're right, mousey :smile: And like you said, it's similar to English Lit courses, because you have to know literary terms and some basic criticism (e.g. Lodge and Booth for fiction analysis and so on) for the course, and the ability to analyse unseen texts, which you basically have.

If anyone's done Cambridge (I can't speak for Oxford) interviews, then the AEA (so I'm told) is similar to the unseen poetry analysis done at interview.
Reply 33
I didn't have to do any unseen anaylsis at Cambridge - i didn't have a test and the interview was like - 'So what books do you like?' That was a bout it. Trinity Hall by the way. xx
mousey
I didn't have to do any unseen anaylsis at Cambridge - i didn't have a test and the interview was like - 'So what books do you like?' That was a bout it. Trinity Hall by the way. xx

They didn't ask me that! I had to ramble on about Lolita, Russian, and the journalistic skills of Dickens!
mousey

I went for St. Catz and did two interviews, one of which had an unseen analysis, AND an exam :wink:

Hm...I guess the only other thing to compare it to is the WW1 synoptic unit, if you do it, because you get poems that you're unlikely to have seen before.
Reply 36
*Bumpety bump*

Anyone know where i can get past papers for AQA from? s'not on the AQA website :frown:
Reply 37
I think it's because it's OCR.

Charlottie - they may not have pushed me in the interview if they weren't interested in what i had to say anyway. Not that i could talk about the journalistic qualities of Dickens. It was really informal i then got asked 'What genre do you like?' She kept asking me what i liked and then in my feedback said i wasn't critical enough. I found that rather funny. xx
Meh, I'll never know what they were actually looking for that day.
Reply 39
They were looking for someone like you!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending