The Student Room Group

AS and A-Levels

I want to do medicine (probably dentistry) at a really good uni. Taking 5 AS-Levels in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English Literature and Classical Civilisations, and I'm predicted 5As. I'm coping very well with the work and never find i have too little time despite only having 3 free hours in my school day per week, and with all my extra-curricular activites.

Next year, I want to carry four on. But which four? Physics is the one i like least and am finding hardest, but its a "science" subject and will be looked on more favourably than english or classics... what do you think?

And i also want to take up a new AS next year... I'll drop it if i can't manage, but I might as well try if i find it fine now... What should i take up, any ideas? (Note not maths because though i did very well at my gcse, i have now forgotten it all!)

Help would be appreciated! Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 1
To be coping wiht 5 AS levels and be predicted all A's is no small feat. congratulations and if this is the case u sound like the perfect candidate for a career in dentistry e.t.c.

on to the question u asked, for a career in medicine or dentistry i believe (but don't quote me) that u need maths or physics....i'm not goin to tell you what to do because you know best at the end of the day but classics and english are two quite similar A levels in as much as they express the same skills...if you drop physics there will be no A level that you are doing which expresses skills in maths, unfortunately universities are looking for these skills because they are more relevant to the courses that you want to do than english skills.

this may not be what you want to hear but if i were you i would drop classics or english and i wouldn't take on an AS level aswell..... A levels are very hard, my advice to you is that burdening yourself with this much work would put your grades at risk, take the advice of someone who is currently going through A levels, the difference between AS and A level is virtually the same as between GCSE and AS levels...the amount of work involved is phenomenal.

but you know what you are capable of and be the best you can...haha sorry for the essay but i just had to say what i thought cos i know i would've appreciated the same advice 1 year ago.

Joe
Reply 2
As far as I'm aware, the typical entry requirements for medicine/dentistry are 3A's in Biology, Chemistry and one other subject. It'll be good to take classics/english because it'll show you as a more rounded candidate.
Reply 3
woodsi
I want to do medicine (probably dentistry) at a really good uni.

Of course you do :rolleyes:
woodsi
I want to do medicine (probably dentistry) at a really good uni. Taking 5 AS-Levels in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English Literature and Classical Civilisations, and I'm predicted 5As. I'm coping very well with the work and never find i have too little time despite only having 3 free hours in my school day per week, and with all my extra-curricular activites.

Next year, I want to carry four on. But which four? Physics is the one i like least and am finding hardest, but its a "science" subject and will be looked on more favourably than english or classics... what do you think?

And i also want to take up a new AS next year... I'll drop it if i can't manage, but I might as well try if i find it fine now... What should i take up, any ideas? (Note not maths because though i did very well at my gcse, i have now forgotten it all!)

Help would be appreciated! Thanks! :biggrin:

I would drop physics unless you want to apply to unis that prefer 3 sciences (i believe cambridge does). The main ones you need are biology and chemistry.

Maybe pick up geography? Its quite easy and I know some unis count it as a science subject.
Reply 5
If you think can cope with dropping one and picking one up, just carry on with 5?
Reply 6
I was considering that taking on a new AS would again show me to be a more rounded person- maybe graphics or art, photography or music, something completely different from what i've got already...
Reply 7
joeahuja
on to the question u asked, for a career in medicine or dentistry i believe (but don't quote me) that u need maths or physics....i'm not goin to tell you what to do because you know best at the end of the day but classics and english are two quite similar A levels in as much as they express the same skills...if you drop physics there will be no A level that you are doing which expresses skills in maths, unfortunately universities are looking for these skills because they are more relevant to the courses that you want to do than english skills.

this may not be what you want to hear but if i were you i would drop classics or english and i wouldn't take on an AS level aswell..... A levels are very hard, my advice to you is that burdening yourself with this much work would put your grades at risk, take the advice of someone who is currently going through A levels, the difference between AS and A level is virtually the same as between GCSE and AS levels...the amount of work involved is phenomenal.

Yay thanks! It's good to get such excellent advice :biggrin:

I don't need maths or physics- only chemistry is required, biology a bonus, but i know what you mean. It seems sensible to drop eng or classics but then they're the ones i enjoy most, and physics is the one i enjoy least and am struggling most with...also, my maths skills aren't very good since I stopped maths (I forgot how to add fractions in physics the other day) and I think this is what is letting me down most..

Luckily with the leap between GCSE and AS, i didn't find it a leap at all, more a small step. The topics are harder to understand but the teachers make it so much easier to understand them by helping that its not much of a problem, which is why im considering at least trying another AS

Latest

Trending

Trending