The Student Room Group

Fiat punto keys

Right, basically I have recently changed my car and now I have a 2001 Fiat Punto mk2. When I got it I only got one blue key with the car. I've been looking around the internet and I realise that there is this issue about one fiat key and making a copy costs a fortune. From what I gather is that mk2 code 1999 onwards no longer have the red key system. However does anyone know how much it will cost to get the blue key copied? So confusing and frustrating.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi do you have your key Number??(should be in your log book or u can just smash the casing and itll show it there)

In my local area u can get the blue key copied for £20 thats if u wanna travel all the way to birmingham
Reply 2
zjohn
Hi do you have your key Number??(should be in your log book or u can just smash the casing and itll show it there)

In my local area u can get the blue key copied for £20 thats if u wanna travel all the way to birmingham

Yes I think I do have the key number, so surely if it's £20 in birmingham it'll be as cheap everywhere else.
Reply 3
yh it shud be but in other parts they rip u off i heard once someone charging
£45 for key copy.....birmingham is the cheapest option as other area is too expensives u can send it to the shop and they send u bak
kinglrb
Right, basically I have recently changed my car and now I have a 2001 Fiat Punto mk2. When I got it I only got one blue key with the car. I've been looking around the internet and I realise that there is this issue about one fiat key and making a copy costs a fortune. From what I gather is that mk2 code 1999 onwards no longer have the red key system. However does anyone know how much it will cost to get the blue key copied? So confusing and frustrating.

When I first got my car (T reg 1999), I only had the red key. I took the car to the Fiat Dealers as it needed some work doing it and the receptionist saw that I was using the red key. She said that I wasn't suppose to be using this key and I should have the blue keys. So my mum decided to fork out for two new blue keys @ the cost of £100!!! The reason being is because the keys had to be ''programmed'' . . . (total rip off IMO).

I don't know what the price is for it now, but try going to somewhere cheapish that can just copy the key, because up til now I can't justify why my mum paid that amount for two ordinary keys! My car is bog standard, no mods or anything. And also the car is being scraped in a few weeks after owning it for 4years!
Reply 5
Upto £50 odd will be okay. I just don't want to be stuck in a bad position. Anyone else know much about this?
Reply 6
DancinBallerina
When I first got my car (T reg 1999), I only had the red key. I took the car to the Fiat Dealers as it needed some work doing it and the receptionist saw that I was using the red key. She said that I wasn't suppose to be using this key and I should have the blue keys. So my mum decided to fork out for two new blue keys @ the cost of £100!!! The reason being is because the keys had to be ''programmed'' . . . (total rip off IMO).

I don't know what the price is for it now, but try going to somewhere cheapish that can just copy the key, because up til now I can't justify why my mum paid that amount for two ordinary keys! My car is bog standard, no mods or anything. And also the car is being scraped in a few weeks after owning it for 4years!

I don't have a red key :s-smilie:
SillyFencer

Apparently the red key is the ''emergency key'' and should only be used when the blue set are lost/stolen. Also the receptionist said the red key can also mess up the ''electronics'' or some crap like that but my car is bog standard, literally. :s-smilie:
Reply 8
DancinBallerina
Apparently the red key is the ''emergency key'' and should only be used when the blue set are lost/stolen. Also the receptionist said the red key can also mess up the ''electronics'' or some crap like that but my car is bog standard, literally. :s-smilie:

Hmmm... I don't even have one :dontknow:
Reply 9
DancinBallerina

Your car is the mk1 so it's different. I know that the newer fiat punto (mk2) like mine don't have a red key at all but if the one blue key that I have is lost it will cost me over £200 to get a key for the car. So I would rather get a spare blue key just incase something goes wrong.

Your mum was right in buying two blue keys for your car. Losing the red key on a mk1 will cost like almost a £1000 to replace apparently because the immobiliser and loads of stuff have to be changed.
Reply 10
shes chatting absolute bull just to get u to fork out another £££ for sumtin u dont need well if your careful and dont lose things
Reply 11
SillyFencer

Red key only applies to mk1 and below (before 1999), the ones after 1999 don't have a red key.
kinglrb
Your car is the mk1 so it's different. I know that the newer fiat punto (mk2) like mine don't have a red key at all but if the one blue key that I have is lost it will cost me over £200 to get a key for the car. So I would rather get a spare blue key just incase something goes wrong.

Your mum was right in buying two blue keys for your car. Losing the red key on a mk1 will cost like almost a £1000 to replace apparently because the immobiliser and loads of stuff have to be changed.

Ooooo . . .Its boogled me for ages, why but seeing as you mentioned that - I understand now. (even though I am scraping the car in a few weeks).
zjohn
shes chatting absolute bull just to get u to fork out another £££ for sumtin u dont need well if your careful and dont lose things

Well too late now as had the keys for the past 4years . . . .but ah well . . :dontknow:
Reply 14
kinglrb
Red key only applies to mk1 and below (before 1999), the ones after 1999 don't have a red key.

Aah, that makes sense then
Reply 15
SillyFencer
Aah, that makes sense then

How many keys do you have? by any chance did you ever make a copy?
Reply 16
kinglrb
How many keys do you have? by any chance did you ever make a copy?

Have 2 blue keys, never made a copy
Reply 17
I better start looking for prices, don't want to lose the only key.
Reply 18
My cars 1995 and I had 2 blue keys when i got my car but have never seen a red key s
Reply 19
My Jaguars have black keys for the drivers and a green valet key that wont let you into the boot. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending