The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Are there active political societies? I realise that in London I'll be able to find one anyway, but I'd still like to know if the university has one. Especially a conservative one.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
What is the modern foreign languages department like?
Plus are my GCSEs adequate? I had A*A*A*A*AAACCC.
I want to do French and Spanish, and I had full UMS in my Spanish GCSE.
I'm doing ASs in French, Spanish, Geography and Politics :smile:
Original post by Planar
Are there active political societies? I realise that in London I'll be able to find one anyway, but I'd still like to know if the university has one. Especially a conservative one.

conservative society was named society of the year last year (or some recent year, maybe 2 years ago idk). we do LOADS, it's really active, and has LOTS OF SOCIALS, like an insane amount, and the main core of the society is really good friends so you really make an awesome set of friends from being in it.
Reply 1583
How do you plan on stopping UCL cutting the smaller degrees?
Original post by aankhi
Hi,

I applied to UCL for the Computer Science course. I want to know how the course is.

Also, how is the campus - is it big, safe, lively? Is it close to the city/in the city, and does it have on-campus boarding?

ucl is about a 20 minute walk from oxford street, soho, trafalgar square, leicester square, covent garden...
the halls/student houses are mostly between a 5-10 minute walk from the quad, which is in the middle of the campus.
there is other student accomodation owned by ucl which are about a half hour walk away. these are cheaper, but not by a large amount.
the campus is big, it's very safe (i've never known anyone to have a problem, although oc there are exceptions to the rule). remember you ARE in central london so don't walk around with £100 in your hand screaming at the top of you rvoice you're drunk and people should come "HAVE A GO!"
it's very lively, lots to do, but not as much as more campus centric unis where there's nowhere else to go - here you can go tot he union and go to ucl organised stuff, but everybody just goes to the studenty pubs and clubs around ucl, because remember that it's central london so all the clubs are within walking distance, and there are SO MANY PUBS YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MANY THERE ARE LIKE OMGOMGOMGOMG THERE ARE SO MANY. also kings is just down the road etc so there are lots of students about. and it's central anyway, so students from further out travel in sometimes.
Reply 1585
hey! i am year 12 student currently studying in a very well known private all girls school. i am currently a guinea pig as i am doing the new cammbridge pre u course . my principal subjects are Economics,Maths,Geography along with thecompulsory GPR. I might pick up AS photography in my UVI year.
I want to study Management at uni.
i was thinking information management at ucl
i was wondering...
1) do i need an ICT gcse or Alevel ICT to qualify for this course?
i didn't do ICT gcse. i did Maths, Eng, Englit, French,Spanish, Geography, Science,
Add Science, Drama and RS
2) what are the normal offers?
3) what do peoples gcse grades look ilke for this course?
(i got 1A*(RS), 8As ,1B(englit) not great but ok)
4) what could help me stand out?
at school i do Leiths, young enterprise, gold duke of edinburgh, peer support,
im on the house commiteee, i did bronze dofe,i do two grade 7 speech and
drama,I am head of my tutor group. i was social prefect at my old school, head
of year too.
5) what do u think the grade offers for 2012 applicants will look like?
i think i am likely to get Geography-A Economics- B Maths-A/B

PLEASE HELP ME! ANYONE
especially those who have been accepted into this course, currently studying this course, wanting to study this course, etc.
THANK YOU X
Original post by Yels
hey! i am year 12 student currently studying in a very well known private all girls school. i am currently a guinea pig as i am doing the new cammbridge pre u course . my principal subjects are Economics,Maths,Geography along with thecompulsory GPR. I might pick up AS photography in my UVI year.
I want to study Management at uni.
i was thinking information management at ucl
i was wondering...
1) do i need an ICT gcse or Alevel ICT to qualify for this course?
i didn't do ICT gcse. i did Maths, Eng, Englit, French,Spanish, Geography, Science,
Add Science, Drama and RS
2) what are the normal offers?
3) what do peoples gcse grades look ilke for this course?
(i got 1A*(RS), 8As ,1B(englit) not great but ok)
4) what could help me stand out?
at school i do Leiths, young enterprise, gold duke of edinburgh, peer support,
im on the house commiteee, i did bronze dofe,i do two grade 7 speech and
drama,I am head of my tutor group. i was social prefect at my old school, head
of year too.
5) what do u think the grade offers for 2012 applicants will look like?
i think i am likely to get Geography-A Economics- B Maths-A/B

PLEASE HELP ME! ANYONE
especially those who have been accepted into this course, currently studying this course, wanting to study this course, etc.
THANK YOU X

Honestly, you're best off emailing UCL admissions tutors directly rather than asking on here. They will know more :smile:
Original post by AndersonsBentFoot
I have an interview in February for maths. What is normally asked other than your normal maths problems?

You just became even more of a legend! Although I did imagine you were older. I can't answer but I will ask my friend this week when I see him.
Original post by doggyfizzel
You just became even more of a legend! Although I did imagine you were older. I can't answer but I will ask my friend this week when I see him.

lol legend? :colondollar: You a UCL student? What do you study? I'd love to go to UCL so it would be much appreciated if you can ask. I just want to go there well-prepared so i can impress :cool:
Original post by AndersonsBentFoot
lol legend? :colondollar: You a UCL student? What do you study? I'd love to go to UCL so it would be much appreciated if you can ask. I just want to go there well-prepared so i can impress :cool:
Well a legend to those who grace the United thread. Yeah, I study physics. I'll try and find out, always good to go in feeling confident.
Reply 1590
Hi,

I`m UCL 1st year postgrad (PhD) student and it seems I gonna miss my tuitition fee payment deadline for a couple of days. Who experienced the same? What to expect? Do they drop me out for that?
Many thanks for any insight
Reply 1591
Hi, I've got an interview for Architecture at UCL. What can i expect?
Original post by Hylean
How do you plan on stopping UCL cutting the smaller degrees?

They're not trying to take away SS/Icelandic Studies are they?! :eek:

Also, you should know that if I didn't love Swedish so much, my next choice would be Icelandic. :love: But I plan on self-studying/taking Old Norse and risk sounding like a very old-fashioned speaker on my trips to Iceland.
Reply 1593
Original post by EcstaticMuse
They're not trying to take away SS/Icelandic Studies are they?! :eek:

Also, you should know that if I didn't love Swedish so much, my next choice would be Icelandic. :love: But I plan on self-studying/taking Old Norse and risk sounding like a very old-fashioned speaker on my trips to Iceland.

Haha, you'll miss out heavily on pronunciation and speaking fluency that way, but I'd definitely enjoy seeing that. Do it.

They're not taking them away yet, but I can't see them lasting that long under the new set-up.
Original post by Hylean
Haha, you'll miss out heavily on pronunciation and speaking fluency that way, but I'd definitely enjoy seeing that. Do it.

They're not taking them away yet, but I can't see them lasting that long under the new set-up.

Haha, maybe I'll kindly ask the Icelandic profs to check up on my progress. There's another fellow scandi student starting this year whom I call my study buddy because she too wants to learn Icelandic! If ever you see two American girls walking about Reykjavik speaking a very warped version of Icelandic, that's us. :rolleyes:

Don't worry- we'll rally up the whole department and protest in various Scandinavian languages. They can't say no to that. :biggrin:
Reply 1595
Original post by EcstaticMuse
Haha, maybe I'll kindly ask the Icelandic profs to check up on my progress. There's another fellow scandi student starting this year whom I call my study buddy because she too wants to learn Icelandic! If ever you see two American girls walking about Reykjavik speaking a very warped version of Icelandic, that's us. :rolleyes:

Don't worry- we'll rally up the whole department and protest in various Scandinavian languages. They can't say no to that. :biggrin:

Well, Swedish sounds like gobbledegook anyway, so they can just get rid of them pretending they've no idea what you're saying. Seriously, though, it's one of the smallest departments in the university during a time of cuts, it's not hard to see whither the wind might blow.
Original post by Hylean
Well, Swedish sounds like gobbledegook anyway, so they can just get rid of them pretending they've no idea what you're saying. Seriously, though, it's one of the smallest departments in the university during a time of cuts, it's not hard to see whither the wind might blow.

Hey now! Swedish is still my #1 love, be fair. :tongue:

That's very sad. :frown: Well, future scandi students will work very hard to make sure that doesn't happen. There's only 2 departments as it is! (2 1/2, if we count Aberdeen.) Plus, UCL has to retain its supremacy over Edinburgh, after all. :yep:

(I really wish there was a smiley with one of the nordic flags. I should suggest that to the mods.)
Reply 1597
could any current architecture applicants talk about the interview process with me? I'm really stuck on what they mean about 2nd personal statement...caus ei feel like i'm repeating myself.. :s-smilie:
Hey guys, is there a scanner anywhere in any of the computer room/librarys?
Reply 1599
I'm applying for physics at UCL and there are two things that I was wondering:

1. What are the people like at UCL? Is the majority pretty sociable and outgoing?
2. Will I be able to take courses from other degrees as optional modules? I would quite like to do a few modules in English and Philosophy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending