The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
denty5
where in uk are you from??
let me guess, london/south?
they probably thought you sounded like harry potter
but yeah, my friend is southern but like he is kinda ugly so i was suprised :/

Well I currently live in Dorchester, Dorset but I don't have a specific accent as I've been travelling most of my life, plus I spent a lot of it in private school

But yeah, south I guess (I don't sound like a farmer before you assume I do)
Reply 21
An American woman once followed me round a mini golf course so she could hear my accent. Otherwise, they are pretty normal, just ask you a few questions and say "I love your accent" but they do go out of the way to make you feel welcome :smile:
Reply 22
Loo
American's really like my accent, I got followed in a mall in florida by a few guys asking "can you teach me to speak like you" and that load of crap

It's really flattering and I didn't find it annoying, it was quite fun actually :awesome:

You should've told them that there's a good video series on the internet on how to speak with a British accent.
Reply 23
northerners dont sound australian though, they dont sound like the queen but they still sound more british than australian. south africans just sound foreign really, like some random european country
Has your friend got a strong british accent?
Reply 25
My step family are all American, the first time i met my brother, he asked me if i liked something, i remember i said "Nah, not really my cuppa tea" and he asked me to say it again haha. They also don't really get the whole "Pet" thing, when older people cal you pet, or other names. I got told my accent was adorable when i was in H&M haha. Quite funny.
They tend to rave at me, less so than they used to, though- I used to have pretty perfect Queen's English, but have more of a northern accent now. They really can't figure my dad out when he gets his Geordie accent out though! He's used to hiding it pretty well, having been in the international business world.
Loo
Well I currently live in Dorchester, Dorset but I don't have a specific accent as I've been travelling most of my life, plus I spent a lot of it in private school

But yeah, south I guess (I don't sound like a farmer before you assume I do)

"I've go' a combine 'arvester, and you can 'ave my key..."
*bum, bum bum*
Reply 28
queens english is pretty sexy, though i love cockeny cuz it reminds me of olivertwist n old english london. though now most people in london sound pretty weird, you know the black kids saying things like 'innit'..but also the white kids too now
Apparently I sound like Prince Charles
As I have to move all over the place (military family), I've picked up a mismatch of British and non-British accents; so before I moved to the US, I was living in Scotland... they asked me what part of Australia I was from (I've never been there).

Latest

Trending

Trending