The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
Doubtful, unless he turns everything to gold and brings upon the coming of the messiah.
Reply 3
PeeWeeDan
Doubtful, unless he turns everything to gold and brings upon the coming of the messiah.

LOL :rolleyes:
I hate to say it, but I think Obama is in over his head with the coming economic situation.
Reply 5
:rolleyes:

not that I don't like him, I'm just generally pessimistic
Reply 6
He's not the bloody messiah. It will be impossible for him to meet everyone's astronomical expectations.
Reply 7
Well, at least he can do better than the last guy...
During his first 4 years. Yes i think he will be reelected i think he will fulfill all his promises. Dont know about in his first year. But definitely in the next 4 years.
Bismarck
And what are those promises?

I love how the secular left is treating Obama as a god.

I believe he will change the world for the good. I believe he will improve foreign relationships. I believe he will improve Americas healthcare. I personally would like to become a doctor so the health policy is one i am really interested in seeing what he will do. I can go on if you would like me to?

PS: I am Kenyan and him being a fellow Kenyan is also a reason i will support him no matter what.
Reply 10
Don't get me wrong, I love Obama's policies and views. There is nothing I enjoyed more than looking at Bush's smug little face, when Obama reeled through all the things that he managed to screw up. But...

I think he has set his expectations a little high. In his inauguration speech he seemed to set so many goals. He has persistently mentioned the cost of healthcare shall be lowered, and that energy from the "Sun, Wind and Soil" will be used.

Yet he also has mentioned that Americans need to be careful with their expenditure, and not to be greedy and to plan well.

To be honest, these two seem like an oxymoron. Lowering healthcare costs and improving the quality of healthcare are extremely expensive within themselves, and in the current economic crisis are not going to be easily achieved. So is the added task of transforming the nations energy really practical? How does he expect people to spend when the taxes must be extortionate?

I am being negative here, and I hope he finds a way of achieving these goals without affecting the economic climate. In every respect - good luck to the man!

On a slightly off subject note: What the hell was that poem about? I love poetry, and I've seen some awful poems... with clumsy metaphors and intriguing rhyme schemes. Yet the inaugaration poem didn't even appear to try anything. It tried to be all spiritual with the whole "Stepping into the light" thing, but then went off on a bit of a tangent with how "women and children are waiting for a bus" and "kneading ham(?)". If there was some hidden meaning I was missing - let me know!
Bismarck
I.E. You haven't listed a single specific way he would accomplish any of those ultra-vague goals.

Ah, nothing beats supporting someone purely due to ethnic ties.

Yeah you could say that. I dont know how but i know he will. I am telling YOU he will! HOW? is up to him but i me am telling YOU moderator that he will!
I don't know, maybe, maybe not. Can't help but get the feeling his "promises" won't be fully implemented.
Hope he finally gets onto Stem Cell research.
I was into McCain, but if Obz can do that, well I don't think I mind about anything else.
PeeWeeDan

I thought he was the messiah
PeeWeeDan

He'll probably need to become the messiah.

EDIT: Beaten to it, damnit. :p:
Bismarck
What? The US government already funds stem cell research, unless you want Obama to personally become a researcher...

Do they?
Bismarck
Yeah, Bush got rid of government funding for one time of stem cell research. The government still funds other types, and the private sector funds all types.

Ah that explains it, I recall bush using the veto on one kind, embryonic probably.
Am I alone in being more impressed by the good Rev Joseph Lowery's benediction than Obama's speech?
Reply 19
renaissancemensch
Am I alone in being more impressed by the good Rev Joseph Lowery's benediction than Obama's speech?

I was actually quite surprised that they'd give someone like that the opportunity to give a speech (most people thought it would have been quite controversial given that he is an Evangelical)

But it was pretty good :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending