The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham Uni clearing

Hi, my daughter has a conditional offer to do maths at nottingham University - she needs to get A*AA with the A* in Maths. Have just looked on Nott Uni clearing and it says on there that you need AAB. My daughter is not sure she has achieved A*AA but is cautiously confident that she may have got AAA. Does this mean that if she gets AAA her place will be declined and she will have to apply to Nott Uni through clearing?? I am clueless as neither myself or my husband went to Uni so have no idea how it works. Thanks in advance for any info.
Reply 1
it doesn't directly mean anything but if they have open spaces and she got AAB+ then she is very likely to still get in without having to do anything

the university will usually prioritise places for existing offer holders who came close to their offer

even if there are no places in clearing, your daughter may still get in if she misses her offer only slightly
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
The A-level results come out on Thursday 17th August but the universities are given the results a few days earlier. This gives them time to sort out the 'near miss' candidates. Looks like your daughter may fall into that category. Thus if her offer was A*AA and she achieved AAA then Nottingham uni would have considered her case and made a decision on whether to accept her or not. I recommend your daughter phone the uni on the 17th to find out what they have decided.

If other students who hold an offer from Nottingham and who have put them as their firm choice have achieved their required grades then there may not be any places left for your daughter. However, if many of the students have missed their offer grade then they will be in the same boat as your daughter and Nottingham will consider all such students to fill up any places on their course. Lots of students miss their grade so universities are used to filtering through the near misses. Its at this point when the personal statement and reference can make a big difference; why take a student with AAA who has no interest in the topic over a student who has displayed a real interest in the subject in their personal statement.
Original post by Puddin2017
Hi, my daughter has a conditional offer to do maths at nottingham University - she needs to get A*AA with the A* in Maths. Have just looked on Nott Uni clearing and it says on there that you need AAB. My daughter is not sure she has achieved A*AA but is cautiously confident that she may have got AAA. Does this mean that if she gets AAA her place will be declined and she will have to apply to Nott Uni through clearing?? I am clueless as neither myself or my husband went to Uni so have no idea how it works. Thanks in advance for any info.

Most universities accept students with dropped grades. It is dependent on the numbers meeting their offers. If more than the number required meet the offers those who miss it get rejected. If not enough reach it then they look at near misses. Universities prefer to accept near miss students to those in clearing so they would accept anyone who reached the clearing grades and had applied there.

The problem is that nobody can tell for definite until the results are out. However from years of experience they know pretty much what will happen. If Nottingham are in clearing they clearly think they will not reach their numbers this year for Maths and would accept students like your daughter wih a near miss. Maths is not as popular as it was a few years ago and it is likely there will be many Maths courses ending up in clearing.

I hope this explains what happens in practice and gives your daughter hope. There is no certainty due to the numbers reaching grades being an unknown quantity but every year thousands get in with missed grades.

It is in a university's best interest to take on near misses rather than risking clearing as it gives them certainty of their places being filled and also they prefer a committed student rather than looking at somebody who has suddenly decided to apply because they have been rejected elsewhere. If they do reject your daughter they would not accept her through clearing,
Original post by mike23mike
I recommend your daughter phone the uni on the 17th to find out what they have decided.

Students are not required to phone unis on the 17th to find out if they have been accepted. UCAS hub reopens at 8 am on results day and students will be able to log in to see if they have a place.
Reply 5

Also just to say, last year, my son was very nervous about his results. Before he went to school to pick up his grades, he had an email from his first choice uni saying, "Congrats, you're in!" It certainly made the journey to school a lot easier. I have number two son going through the same this year. Good luck to your daughter.
Reply 6
Original post by HJ74
Also just to say, last year, my son was very nervous about his results. Before he went to school to pick up his grades, he had an email from his first choice uni saying, "Congrats, you're in!" It certainly made the journey to school a lot easier. I have number two son going through the same this year. Good luck to your daughter.

Thank you, good luck to your son too. My daughter's plan is to go onto ghe ucas hub at 8am on Thurs to see if she has a confirmed offer as like you say that should give her an indication of her grades. Out of interest did your eldest son get his expected grades or did he get in on lower grades?
Reply 7
Thank you, good luck to your son too. My daughter's plan is to go onto ghe ucas hub at 8am on Thurs to see if she has a confirmed offer as like you say that should give her an indication of her grades. Out of interest did your eldest son get his expected grades or did he get in on lower grades?

He did get slightly lower than predicted, but met the required grades for his course. This was at Uni of Sheffield btw.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending