The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

it depends, but good relationships aren't built on guilt or obligation -- they're built on love :awesome:
River85
I find that exceptionally distasteful and rather offensive

Yes, it was ironic.
Reply 22
cowsgoquack
Yes, it was ironic.

I know. I just wanted to play the enraged PC loon :smile:
Reply 23
It depends on the disability. If mental disability means mental age of 5, then no because it would be difficult to hold a conversation with them and it would be weird to sleep with them! But a mild mental disability may be ok. Same for physical really- if they were so disabled that they dribbled all the time and wore nappies, then no way, as I am highly squeemish and could not change an adult :o: But if it was just being wheelchair bound or being blind or deaf, then I could handle that :smile: (so long as everything that matters is still in full working order :p:)
Reply 24
Depends on what it is, but on the whole, no.
I felt bad for typing that too.
Reply 25
I would. I mean, they'd be treated just like anyone else to me - so they'd have to cross the boxes of nearly all of my preferences for a partner first.. So, I couldn't date a person who couldn't communicate with me, for example.

But, say, if my current partner started developing a disease where he'd just get worse or he'd die, I'd still be with him and do what's best by him throughout.

When I was much younger (I'm talkin' Infants School time), I always wanted a deaf and a burnt-victim friend. I dunno why, but I used to imagine us working when we're older, like best pals. Ha ha! I did have two deaf friends when I was a bit older, but not for long. =(
brapboybrap
I wouldn't date someone that had a mole never mind someone who is proper disabled.

Looks and disability aren't the same, you know. :rolleyes:

I have hypermobility problems in my hands, and muscle problems in my left (writing) hand, but you'd never know it from looking at me. Some disabilities are invisible, you know. :yep:
treasureBelle
Looks and disability aren't the same, you know. :rolleyes:

I have hypermobility problems in my hands, and muscle problems in my left (writing) hand, but you'd never know it from looking at me. Some disabilities are invisible, you know. :yep:

What if i were to stare at your hand? Would i notice it then. Because if i could then it is a no go.
If they were noticeably disabled then I probably wouldn't. Why? 'Cause I'm shallow and because I wouldn't want to :smile:.
LukeatForest
If they were noticeably disabled then I probably wouldn't. Why? 'Cause I'm shallow and because I wouldn't want to :smile:.

:five:
brapboybrap
What if i were to stare at your hand? Would i notice it then. Because if i could then it is a no go.

Nope, even my Occupational Therapist had to have a good feel in order to find out, so I don't see what chance you'd have just by looking. :p:
If they are capable of looking after themselves then it is good enough for me. I wouldn't want to feel as though I had to care for them because of their disability... Not only is it very patronising but I'd feel like it wasn't a relationship as such. A relationship is about love and trust; nothing else matters. I've got a sensory impairment and it doesn't bother my boyfriend at all.
I was going to say

'I quite like black girls actually'

Then I realized that it would perhaps be taken too seriously, and not as a joke.

The troubles of south african family, ones sense of humor gets rather warped.

More seriously though, I think there is a scale to it, long term mental illness such as depression, OCD, bipolar disorder, can be highly debilitating and should really count as a disability on this count. As such I think its fair to say I probably would.

Severe mental retardation, is a different end of the spectrum, and I cant see it happening, or being right.

Physical handicaps again shouldn't form a barrier, though if i'm honest they may well do.
Reply 33
brapboybrap

Odds are that most people are likely to develop some form of disability in their lives. You know, like cancer or heart disease? You can certainly notice them, but I don't see why it would necessarily make them less attractive.
Kyle_S-C
Odds are that most people are likely to develop some form of disability in their lives. You know, like cancer or heart disease? You can certainly notice them, but I don't see why it would necessarily make them less attractive.

Because they might die. Unless you are in to ******* dead people then it would indeed make them less attractive.
Reply 35
I can't look after myself.

So no.
Reply 36
brapboybrap
Because they might die. Unless you are in to ******* dead people then it would indeed make them less attractive.

By that logic you're gonna be lonely when you're old. A disability doesn't equate to a higher chance of death.
Whether I would date anyone depends on them and me.. dis/abilities do not come into it.
Uhm, I dated a guy who was recovering from schizophrenia, and another had depression (but that was after I dumped him)...

Does Aspergers count? or Ginger? 'cos that's a genetic mutation of hair :P
Kyle_S-C

What about face cancer?

Latest

Trending

Trending