The Student Room Group
Reply 1
boven78hx1
A wave of frequency hHz

Can you clarify, how many Hz?
Reply 2
There is a phase difference of 2π\displaystyle 2\pi for every wavelength, this is true.

Thus ϕ=2πx2x1λ\displaystyle \phi = 2\pi \frac{x_2 - x_1}{\lambda}.

Your question is written out sketchily, but if I assume that you are given 1λ=8km1\displaystyle \frac{1}{\lambda} = 8 \mathrm{km}^{-1}, then:

ϕ=2π8km1×2km=π2\displaystyle \phi = \frac{2\pi}{8 \mathrm{km}^{-1}} \times 2\mathrm{km} = \frac{\pi}{2}
Reply 3
If you sketch out the waveform you can see where all the math fits in.
Reply 4
it is 5Hz
Reply 5
Hey again. Morbo killed the bird with a stone earlier; however, I'll kill it a second time with the aid of a diagram after lunch. That way you'll have a conceptual and physical method.
Reply 6
where does 1/wavelength come from
Reply 7
boven78hx1
where does 1/wavelength come from

You gave a piece of data as 8km18\mathrm{km}^{-1}, so I assumed it was 1/λ1 / \lambda because that gave the right answer.

I did not realise you meant to write the following data:

f=5Hz[br]v=8kms1\\ f = 5\mathrm{Hz}[br]\\ v = 8 \mathrm{km s}^{-1}

This means λ=v/f=1.6km\lambda = v / f = 1.6 \mathrm{km}.

Now apply ϕ=2πλΔx=2π1.6km×2km=212π\phi = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda} \Delta x = \frac{2\pi}{1.6 \mathrm{km}} \times 2 \mathrm{km} = 2\frac{1}{2}\pi

However, since phase difference only means anything for 0ϕ<2π0 \leq \phi < 2\pi, we usually add/subtract multiples of 2π2\pi until our expression of phase difference is in this range. In this case we subtract 2π2\pi to get:

ϕ=212π2π=π2\phi = 2\frac{1}{2}\pi - 2\pi = \frac{\pi}{2}

Coincidentally, this gives the same answer as using the assumption I made earlier.
Reply 8
cheers morbo
great help much appreciated

Latest