The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You need to find the force each bullet exerts on the rifle (using F= ma). You know the mass of each bullet, and you know what speed it accelerates to, but you need to find the actual acceleration. If you know the length of the rifle, use a SUVAT equation to find A.
Reply 2
DomAD
You need to find the force each bullet exerts on the rifle (using F= ma). You know the mass of each bullet, and you know what speed it accelerates to, but you need to find the actual acceleration. If you know the length of the rifle, use a SUVAT equation to find A.

Not really.

You need to use the definition as force as the rate of change of momentum. The firing of the bullets downwards will provide an upwards force on the rifle (which will also lose mass as the rounds are fired, although this can be ignored in the first approximation).
Reply 3
ok so im estimating the rifle to be 0.4 metres long. so my accerleration is 112,500 m/s^2? . so force on rifle is 2812.5 newtons. thats far to big as my the rifle force down is only 29.4
I think the OP has got it roughly right.
Reply 5
i thought the rate of mometum = firce was what i used originally
Reply 6
Morbo
Not really.

You need to use the definition as force as the rate of change of momentum. The firing of the bullets downwards will provide an upwards force on the rifle (which will also lose mass as the rounds are fired, although this can be ignored in the first approximation).
I get the same answer using either.
you got it right first time I think...
Reply 8
smile!
ok so im estimating the rifle to be 0.4 metres long. so my accerleration is 112,500 m/s^2? . so force on rifle is 2812.5 newtons. thats far to big as my the rifle force down is only 29.4

F=Δ(mv)ΔtF = \frac{\Delta(mv)}{\Delta t}

So if we ignore the fact that the rifle is losing mass as it fires the bullets, we require:

Mg=Δ(mv)Δt=mvRMg = \frac{\Delta(mv)}{\Delta t} = mvR

where RR is the rate of fire in Hz\mathrm{Hz}.

R=MgmvR=3.9HzR = \frac{Mg}{mv} \Rightarrow R = 3.9 \mathrm{Hz}

I don't understand why you're estimating the rifle length to find the force on it. The force on the rifle, from the above equation, is equal to its weight of Mg=29.4NMg = 29.4\mathrm{N}.
so he was right the first time then

Edit: Technically you would then times that by 60 and label it rpm (rounds per minute)

Latest