The Student Room Group

Is it wrong...

Basically, one of the reasons that I want to transfer universities is because I feel I becomming a racist.
I am asian, and I was born, bred and lived in a white (supposedly middle class (well to be fair it is)) area and when i went to uni, one of the first things was that I saw so many asians and secondly most of my mates are asians in Uni. Which a part of me is uncomfortable with. Because I can't relate to asians which causes a barrier.
Reply 1
4G_dollars
Basically, one of the reasons that I want to transfer universities is because I feel I becomming a racist.
I am asian, and I was born, bred and lived in a white (supposedly middle class (well to be fair it is)) area and when i went to uni, one of the first things was that I saw so many asians and secondly most of my mates are asians in Uni. Which a part of me is uncomfortable with. Because I can't relate to asians which causes a barrier.

What do you mean you can't relate to them? Everyone should be equal, so if you, as an Asian, are finding it easy to relate to whites then surely it would be equally as easy to relate to Asians? In what way can you not relate, culturally, religiously ?? I am sure you are not as ignorant as some other whites?? As long as you nor being ignoratn, derogatory or insulting, then you're not being racist.
Reply 2
I can understand where you comming from in equality aspect.
The main reason for the division is culturally mainly.

I find it alot easier to relate to white people.
Reply 3
4G_dollars
I can understand where you comming from in equality aspect.
The main reason for the division is culturally mainly.

I find it alot easier to relate to white people.

Learn to get along with everyone. If you cant do that, learn to tolerate everyone. If you can't do that, stay away from people you don't get on with. If you can't do that, then you've got issues.
Reply 4
if you have friends who are asian you're not racist.. if you were shouting racial slurs at asians that would be racist. if you don't relate as well get some white friends.
Reply 5
There is a divide in the year between whites and asians. It is blantantly obvious in the uni.

I don't shout racist slurs, but there is a part of me which sort of becomes reserved cos there is this barrier between me and them cos I can't relate at all.
Reply 6
4G_dollars
There is a divide in the yearn between whites and asians. It is blantantly obvious in the uni.

I don't shout racist slurs, but there is a part of me which sort of becomes reserved cos there is this barrier between me and them cos I can't relate at all.

Yes I see this too at my uni.

There is no barrier between black and white, rich and poor, smart and not-so-smart, conservative or liberal. There is mixing of all kinds. Apart from the fact that Asians just seem to hang about in their own little clan, and refuse to really mingle as socially outside their race!

It's nothing to do with country either. The group at my uni are from all across the globe, but they relate to each other simply because they are asian. I don't know what it is... why this divide?
Reply 7
Mush
Yes I see this too at my uni.

There is no barrier between black and white, rich and poor, smart and not-so-smart, conservative or liberal. There is mixing of all kinds. Apart from the fact that Asians just seem to hang about in their own little clan, and refuse to really mingle as socially outside their race!

It's nothing to do with country either. The group at my uni are from all across the globe, but they relate to each other simply because they are asian. I don't know what it is... why this divide?

Exactly, I relate to white people. I can't relate asians,but the first people I met and sort of welcomed me were asian ( i knew no one there). And I stuck with them. As time passed I noticed differences, which sort of effecting my relationship with them. They are so different in terms of what we like: eg) music, films, sports etc... (they dont watch rugby and well watch football but not alot) so there is nothing I can talk to about other than uni work.

I don't normally approach people. I just go with a group of people I know, and they find new people and then meet them and thats how I meet them. I am very shy, reserved and alway the quiet one in the group if you like which effects me when I approach white people.
Reply 8
4G_dollars

Your exactly like me ...
Reply 9
If you feel youll be better off somewhere else then yep move but would it be destabilising, you could just ignore the racism and not get involved, let your pals know that you dont want to get involved and they should respect your wishes, who knows you might even be a good example for your mates :yep:
Reply 10
Hah what a ret**d either you're having a laugh or you're just dumb. Don't you have it within yourself to accept people. I can't relate to black people, but i have many friends who are black, variety is good it makes you a better person. Mix with whoever you can don't bother with all that b***s**t go and make friends with who ever you can. You'll need them, the way you're so quick to write people off as inadequate or not suitable to you superior self.
Reply 11
He isnt saying that he cant accept people, the OP says he came from a mostly white area and in uni his mates turned out to be mostly asian. He said he gets along with different people but isnt comfortable because of the racial tensions
Reply 12
elldee
Hah what a ret**d either you're having a laugh or you're just dumb. Don't you have it within yourself to accept people. I can't relate to black people, but i have many friends who are black, variety is good it makes you a better person. Mix with whoever you can don't bother with all that b***s**t go and make friends with who ever you can. You'll need them, the way you're so quick to write people off as inadequate or not suitable to you superior self.

**** off! You clearly don't understand.
I have friends that are asians, (blacks, chinesse, white etc...) I don't have a a problem because of who they are. It is just that I can't relate to asians culturally. But I am not dissing them. So don't even make out that I am a racist. ******* retard!
Reply 13
bump
Reply 14
I'm not sure what the problem is, so you don't want to hang around with these guys, why can't you just make other friends? Why do you have to transfer uni's? Besides, it's not racist.

Latest

Trending

Trending