The Student Room Group

Letting Go of the Past

I feel burdened when I think about the past too much and how I feel that my behaviour and actions have caused my current life situation now. I feel compelled to message people from the past and apologize for what I've done wrong, but I know it's important to move on and not be buried by what has happened a long time ago.

Does anybody have a way of coping or eradicating the problems of the past? I'd love to know any methods you might have for dealing with this issue.
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
I feel burdened when I think about the past too much and how I feel that my behaviour and actions have caused my current life situation now. I feel compelled to message people from the past and apologize for what I've done wrong, but I know it's important to move on and not be buried by what has happened a long time ago.
Does anybody have a way of coping or eradicating the problems of the past? I'd love to know any methods you might have for dealing with this issue.
Hey, hopefully your day was delightful.
I'm sorry to hear your drowning in guilt, I understand how hard it can be. When I was going through hard times I wrote down everything that happened either in notes or paper and asked myself - ''Will this matter in 1 month, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years?'' and wrote/thought of an explanation for each question. If the problem is severely weighing you down contacting those you feel you have wronged would help you to get closure and finally move on. Hope this helps :smile:
If the actions you took in the past were morally wrong definitely seek closure with the people you wronged - their hurt could still be impacting you hence why the guilt is so strong.
Original post by Amil3ah007
Hey, hopefully your day was delightful.
I'm sorry to hear your drowning in guilt, I understand how hard it can be. When I was going through hard times I wrote down everything that happened either in notes or paper and asked myself - ''Will this matter in 1 month, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years?'' and wrote/thought of an explanation for each question. If the problem is severely weighing you down contacting those you feel you have wronged would help you to get closure and finally move on. Hope this helps :smile:
If the actions you took in the past were morally wrong definitely seek closure with the people you wronged - their hurt could still be impacting you hence why the guilt is so strong.
Hi there, I hope yours was too!
I agree with your take on this matter. The problems inherent in what I've done still weigh me down, and all this stuff happened years ago. I do believe it is right to summon the courage to confront people you've wronged, but I do worry that dredging up the past will result in more hurt-though really it's about persevering and overcoming because that's what life's all about.

Thank you so much for your understanding, kindness and help :smile:
Reply 3
Just be better going forward. You can't do much about what has gone but you can affect what is to come.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending