The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Phonicsdude
Well they are odd. Let's not deny this.

Edit: And will you learn to spell. It's, "You're" not "Your".

Why is it odd? It's only odd in your head. They're normal people without an arm. Do you think soldiers who've come limbless from wars are odd?

And I'll spell how I want to thank you.
Phonicsdude
No. But there's a difference between a child seeing these things normally and having them exposed, visibly and innappropriately in a ridiculous bout of politiking by the BBC.

What would you say about a kid being exposed to sex?

Dont twist my bloody argument- 98% of people do not go out of their way to have sex in public where it could be seen by kids, but disabled people are damn well allowed to go outside if they want, where they might be seen by children. Seeing them on TV helps prepare children and reduce the factor which might otherwise be caused. And who the hell says all children's tv presenters have to be "aesthetically pleasing"? And who defines "aesthetically pleasing" anyway?
I don't disagree because she is an amputee, I disagree because Blue Peter push PC ******** all the time.
Rubix
Why is it odd? It's only odd in your head. They're normal people without an arm. Do you think soldiers who've come from limbless from wars are odd?

And I'll spell how I want to thank you.

They're normal people without an arm. I agree.

They are still odd in the sense that they are peculiar or different. They shouldnt be given less rights because of their illness.

It's natural to be fascinated by and curious of people with funny deformities. Doesnt mean we want to see it all the time. lol.:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Reply 44
junglemonkey
I don't disagree because she is an amputee, I disagree because Blue Peter push PC ******** all the time.

PC isn't always bad. In this case it isn't.
Reply 45
My wife and I discussed this acouple of days ago, we've got two girls, one is 2 1/4 and the other just over 1. So needless to say Cbeebies is on far more than I get to watch my Stargate Atlantis re-runs, etc...

My wife is of the 'lock disabled people in a cupboard' frame of mind, but in her defence it is largely because she is squeemish in the extreme. She doesn't even like it when I'm watching a war film or something, never mind the news for that matter...

Of course I disagree, I'm of the view that it is indeed a good thing for kids to be exposed to people of not only different backgrounds, be it racial, class, ethnic, religious or whatever. But all sorts of people, be they young, old, or in this instance disabled in some manner, or maybe just disfigured. I mean someone with a big port-wine stain on their face isn't going to be nice to look at, but such people exist and merely treating them as 'freaks' is not a good way to go about things.

I actually think that we need more of this for wont of a better term 'diversity exposure', its also the main reason that I dislike private or selective schools in principle. Anything that aids in the seperation of children from one another based on any factor at all really merely serves to further reinforce the divisions that already exist within society.

And as an aside, when in Nottingham I went drinking with a mate who was in a wheelchair. Aside from the odd set of steps it was pretty good, most people were very polite and helpful. The only other time I've experienced such public good-will is when I take the kids out in the pushchair, but I can't really do that at 1am after eight Vodka and Red Bulls... :wink:
I'm with Phonicsdude. What happens when she has to make a toy pirate ship for in the bath out of a quality street tin and toilet rolls? She's totally ill-equipped for the job.
Phonicsdude
And its not discriminatory. If a job on a building site requires a strong person abnd is physically tough then it is only normal that a woman wouldnt get it.

My last job required you to be string and physically tough and there was more women doing it than men! My current job also requires this and guess what ... theres more women than men on my course!!!

Also I went to primary school with a kid in a wheelchair and a kid with downs. Should they not have been allowed in because they had disabilities? Should my small child eyes not have been allowed to see them?
To be honest I'd say I'm not discriminatory towards those with disabilities BECAUSE I got to talk to and be friends with these kids at a young age. It shows that people with disabilites and amputations are actual human beings. Not something to be stared at as if they're a caged animal in a zoo.
Bobo1234
Dont twist my bloody argument- 98% of people do not go out of their way to have sex in public where it could be seen by kids, but disabled people are damn well allowed to go outside if they want, where they might be seen by children. Seeing them on TV helps prepare children and reduce the factor which might otherwise be caused. And who the hell says all children's tv presenters have to be "aesthetically pleasing"? And who defines "aesthetically pleasing" anyway?

Have you SEEN Blue Peter presenters? They're all good looking. Hardly fair to present this image to kids and what they should be, eh?
Reply 49
DanGrover
I'm with Phonicsdude. What happens when she has to make a toy pirate ship for in the bath out of a quality street tin and toilet rolls? She's totally ill-equipped for the job.

You haven't watched the show and don't know what it involves, so keep your pie hole shut.
Personally I dont think kids should watch TV (an absolute minimum). It's a cover for poor parenting and there is a strong correlation between number or hours of TV watched per week and having a low IQ.
Reply 51
Phonicsdude
Personally I dont think kids should watch TV (an absolute minimum). It's a cover for poor parenting and there is a strong correlation between number or hours of TV watched per week and having a low IQ.

Off topic and no source.
Rubix
You haven't watched the show and don't know what it involves, so keep your pie hole shut.

That's a rather baseless assumption. And I'd appreciate you kept your tongue in check, young lady.
Rubix

stop using my phrases! lol
Phonicsdude

In which study? This must also be dependent on which programs they're watching.
Reply 55
She isn't in a show, she's one of the presenters.
Rubix
Off topic and no source.

I agree. No sauce on kid's TV. Just like with disabled people it is unecessary to show sexy scenes to toddlers.
Rubix
PC isn't always bad. In this case it isn't.

Blue Peter are pretty well known for positive discrimination, which is as wrong as the negative type.

They also tend to hire exclusively good looking presenters.

Hmm...
ten bob
Children's television channel CBeebies have two new presenters.

However, one of them has had half her arm lopped off, from the elbow down.

Do you think it's immoral for children to be shown such grotesque images at an early age?

ohh my god - are there really people like you out there. How the hell is it immoral?

ps. are you being serious or sarcastic - its very hard to tell online
Reply 59
Phonicsdude
I agree. No sauce on kid's TV. Just like with disabled people it is unecessary to show sexy scenes to toddlers.

It is necessary to show disabled people to toddlers as I've made clear in my previous posts. To discourage future prejudices, so they don't turn out like you.

There is no reason to show sex, Children naturally learn about it.

Your comparison is ****.

Latest

Trending

Trending