The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Central Saint Martins Art Foundation

I had my portfolio review for csm art foundation on the 30th of jan, and i know they say you'll hear by march at the latest, i thought i would have heard something back by now - has anyone else? i was thinking maybe they let people who have got in know first or something...
Also, if i do get in (im pretty sure i havent tho :s-smilie: ) i also have an offer from Bournemouth arts institute...these were my top two choices but i always thought id choose csm over bouremouth, however recently iv heard lots of bad stuff about csm and good things about bournemouth...has anyone been to both or know people at the other who can give me any advice?
thanks xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm worried about hearing back too... I'd like to know if anyone has been accepted so that I know when to expect a reply. Dreading it.

I have heard bad reports from csm of there being a high student - tutor ratio so not many tutors, but I think it is a college where people who are independent workers and free-thinkers will benefit. It just depends who you are I guess.
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
i had a portfoilio assesment on the 30th. i havent recieved a reply either. im pretty scared too i got a reply from one of my other choices- kingston uni and i didnt get accepted for interview which sucks!! so its making me think if i wasnt good enough for kingston uni what about csm?
Reply 3
jas9172
i had a portfoilio assesment on the 30th. i havent recieved a reply either. im pretty scared too i got a reply from one of my other choices- kingston uni and i didnt get accepted for interview which sucks!! so its making me think if i wasnt good enough for kingston uni what about csm?

Acceptance is based upon so many variables, I wouldn't worry. The tutor(s) at Kingston might not have liked the type of work you included in your portfolio, whereas at CSM they might. It's entirely subjective to what the tutor(s) are looking for. In addition, other factors such as the applicant intake per year will also make a difference.
Believe it or not it's easier to get into CSM foundation than Kingston- mainly based on the numbers that they take. So don't worry about it too much- good luck! I was CSM foundation last year and there were alot of people who didn't get into Kingston but got into CSM.
x
Reply 5
i got accepted!
Reply 6
a girl in my year found out she got accepted - i think they give you a letter regardless so don't worry about it - it will come soon.
xx
Reply 7
I'm in Central St. Martins and Kingston, does anyone have any advise on which i should choose???
i think im leaning towards CSM but kingston looks really goo for the course :/
Reply 8
They can't be handing out out offers here there and everywhere for CSM yet, don't worry....my portfolio review isn't until the 16th of MARCH!!! yes...but of a mixup with my application so surely they can't be certain on the offers until they've given everyone applying a fair review. Don't stress! :smile:
Marie88
I'm in Central St. Martins and Kingston, does anyone have any advise on which i should choose???

wow well done. have you visited both colleges? i guess it depends on what type of learner you are, maybe if you prefer more tuition time and smaller teaching groups then kingston but if you prefer more independent learning, more experiences to see the competition for degree courses maybe csm. I think its ultimatelty tough though as both foundations are equally very very good.
Reply 10
Marie88

go saint martins! (biased opinion cause im going) :wink:
Cherry-pie
go saint martins! (biased opinion cause im going) :wink:

no don't - go to kingston (unbiased) if you want to learn - you'll get much better teaching there and you'll spend more time working and building up a great portfolio towards BA.
At csm the chances are you'll get lost in the masses and from what I've been told there ain't a lot of tutor=pupil teaching going on so you'll be pretty much on your own in comparison.
like i said before depends on what kind of learner she is. Some people learn better from other people than teachers so may like csm but then if you really like to know whats going on and technique. Kingston seem really technical with teaching skills then there.
Reply 13
central saint martins !!
Reply 14
more freedom to work how you want to your not in a-levels any more you dont want or need tutors breathing down your neck the hole time.... st martins give you this freedom with exceptional support when you need it at one of the most predigious art foundation courses in europe, its csm for me and i think thats the right choice it the place to improve ad grow up. :smile: xx
Reply 15
Most people do their A&D foundation at their local uni/college, because you can't get a student loan or grant for your foundation year. I couldnt afford to study in london without a loan. Also the hours/terms are different from the other students so you feel a bit out of it in halls, specially in the first week of term when the other students havent arrived yet for their courses.

When you apply for your degree course later they realise that some foundation courses aren't so good, so it wont be a disadvantage applying to somewhere like csm as long as you have talent in the first place.
JaneyF
Most people do their A&D foundation at their local uni/college, because you can't get a student loan or grant for your foundation year. I couldnt afford to study in london without a loan.

hey, so r u saying that its better to apply for degree at CSM?
would it be harder to get in than foundation though..??
Reply 17
you should if you can do both, i think as once you are in csm art foundation you get priority over other students in to there courses ..... but it is to late i think to apply by now starry eyed ? xx
Reply 18
As a UAL foundation student, you actually don't get any priority when applying to a UAL BA. You just get an earlier portfolio review. This still gives you no guarantee of interview or acceptance. CSM foundation, for example, has several hundred students, as does Chelsea, and Camberwell etc - all of which only offer a few BA places to internal students. With the foundation courses being so oversubscribed, and so few BA places, it's not hard to do the math to work out how many get rejected!

Make sure you make an informed decision as to which foundation you choose...
Reply 19
i just got accepted in to csm, and had my review a few weeks back, i really dont think u have anything to worry about. they dont tell those who got in first and those who didnt after, cos my mate applied there too, and his review was after mine, yet he got a letter of reejection before i got my letter of acceptance, just be patient, dw im sure you'll be fine. gl!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending