The Student Room Group

Improving application after rejections

Ok, I apologise as I am sure there have been a thousand threads very similar to this, I'm just looking for some good advice.

Having applied to medicine in September whilst on a gap year, I have now received four rejections. I have decided that a second gap year is the route I will take, as I honestly believe medicine is the route for me, and a second try is definitely worth it. I have 3 A's at A2 and a B at AS. My GCSE's are a bit weak (3A 5B 1C) but I will be careful on where I apply as so not to be restricted by them. I believe I have strong work experience, having been abroad on hospital placements.

I would like to know what people would most recommend to improve my application for next time. I have since started work in a care home, and volunteer in a hospice. I will be doing some more travelling this summer, and will include some work in HIV prevention. I am having my personal statement seen by as many people as possible, and am in the process of asking loads of questions to the Unis I am applying to next time.

I am thinking of doing some extra iGCSE's this summer, does this sound like it might help? Can anybody suggest some additional things I should be doing to boost my chances next time?

Thankyou all for your time
Reply 1
jwilduk
Ok, I apologise as I am sure there have been a thousand threads very similar to this, I'm just looking for some good advice.

Having applied to medicine in September whilst on a gap year, I have now received four rejections. I have decided that a second gap year is the route I will take, as I honestly believe medicine is the route for me, and a second try is definitely worth it. I have 3 A's at A2 and a B at AS. My GCSE's are a bit weak (3A 5B 1C) but I will be careful on where I apply as so not to be restricted by them. I believe I have strong work experience, having been abroad on hospital placements.

I would like to know what people would most recommend to improve my application for next time. I have since started work in a care home, and volunteer in a hospice. I will be doing some more travelling this summer, and will include some work in HIV prevention. I am having my personal statement seen by as many people as possible, and am in the process of asking loads of questions to the Unis I am applying to next time.

I am thinking of doing some extra iGCSE's this summer, does this sound like it might help? Can anybody suggest some additional things I should be doing to boost my chances next time?

number 1 thing to do: try to get feedback from all of the unis that you've been rejected by! (then you can focus on correcting those points)
number 2: get your PS looked over by the PS help team, before applying next year
Reply 2
cheers, so do you think additional GCSE's would help?
Reply 3
jwilduk

if you want to do some extra GCSEs then go for it. I don't know whether it would help or not :dontknow:
Reply 4
email unis to check you meet their requirements before applying

go on interview courses eg simisi
Reply 5
No Future
email unis to check you meet their requirements before applying

go on interview courses eg simisi

? I expected better of you :confused:
Reply 6
Wangers

Noo it's not what you think!!! I refer to the ones run by med students which only cost 20 pounds ish and are quite helpful, not the 100s of pounds scam ones!!! :frown: I am anti the rip off ones.
Reply 7
Wangers

They're outrageously priced, but I found that going on one helped me with my confidence and showed me that I was able to keep calm in a pressured situation. Of course it's not for everyone, but they can be quite useful.
Reply 8
reems23
They're outrageously priced, but I found that going on one helped me with my confidence and showed me that I was able to keep calm in a pressured situation. Of course it's not for everyone, but they can be quite useful.

They're not entirely necessary if you are considering between having them or not, especially if you're a bit financially tight...

I found that I learnt a lot from my first interview (Oxford) by looking upon what I said and how I could improve, and I refined my answers and imagined myself going through the interview again; in the end, I gave similar answers for 2 more unis and had offers for both =) its probably also why I didn't get into Ox, though, so maybe some practice or some sessions with your teachers or your relatives (especially those who work in the healthcare industry) could help- I didn't get any, nor did I really prepare for the interviews, so its important that you're able to do this if you can!
Reply 9
jwilduk
:rofl: If that's all you can think of, you're doomed.
Reply 10
Look at what each med school is looking for. Remember lots of med schools quantify what you have in your PS to differentiate "fairly" between each candidate. So therefore, you just got to make sure you tick x amount of boxes with your PS and do what you can to reach those targets.
Reply 11
Renal

Because thats obviously all he can think of :rolleyes:
get feedback from unis! top importance, then reflect on your interviews!
Reply 13
Renal

It's not all I can think of, I am getting feedback but I don't see other than that where I can improve strongly. I will have my personal statement checked more, as I stated. I will prepare for interviews. But I just wanted to know if a few extra GCSE's actually give much of an edge, or won;t have much of a difference.
jwilduk
It's not all I can think of, I am getting feedback but I don't see other than that where I can improve strongly. I will have my personal statement checked more, as I stated. I will prepare for interviews. But I just wanted to know if a few extra GCSE's actually give much of an edge, or won;t have much of a difference.

i doubt a few extra GCSEs would make much difference, as long as you get A in english lang, maths, A* in science, you meet their entry requirement(however it depends on the uni)
hanqiangycl
i doubt a few extra GCSEs would make much difference, as long as you get A in english lang, maths, A* in science, you meet their entry requirement(however it depends on the uni)

:eyeball:

I could be reading this wrong, but that's almost suggesting you need those grades, when a B is sufficient?
jwilduk

Best thing to see is where you think you went wrong, and what the unis thought you went wrong and finding a way to improve that.

For example if you were interviewed from all your choices, it is likely your interview technique needs improving most
FFCrusader
:eyeball:

I could be reading this wrong, but that's almost suggesting you need those grades, when a B is sufficient?

oh no that's not what i mean, yeh you are right, a B is sufficient. However i had the impression that those with As are advantageous...somehow...
Reply 18
If you could nail the UKCAT that would help alot, especially with AAA at A-level - Newcastle and Durham...
Reply 19
Is there any unis that people here think would be more appropriate/I should avoid in my circumstances? Ie for someone with not so great GCSE's, but a good level of experience (work experience abroad, care home work etc) . I am thinking Southampton, pms, Leicester. Do these sound like good choices? I've been looking around at the uni websites. They're usually quite good but it can be hard to determine what each one is after individually. Someone suggested focusing your application towards 1 or 2 unis, sound like a good idea?

Latest

Trending

Trending