The Student Room Group

Loreto College Application

Hi. Let me state something that I’m really confused about and want you guys’ opinion. Right:

In September 2023 I started year 11. Okay I knew what we had to do was to apply for Colleges. My grades were decent, I passed everything and I had 3 6’s as my predicted grades, but actually scored 4 in English language, and 4 in English literature. But I think colleges looked at the predicted grades. I was the FIRST one in my whole year group to apply to Loreto College. I really thought I could get in as I picked Business A Level, Media Studies A Level, Economics A Level. In the year 10 mocks I did not as good as I know I can do. Got grade 6 in maths predicted 7, grade 3 business predicted 5. I applied to Loreto and got that out of the way.

I also applied to Xaverian. And Connell. I got into them both easily. But we did another set of mocks in February which improved every single one of my grades. Business I got a grade 8, predicted 9. Maths got a grade 5, predicted 7 unfortunately. English lang grade 6, predicted 7. Same with literature.

My mates who applied dead late for Loreto, got an interview shortly after and they got accepted with a place, but they were on the same grade ranges as me!!! Same school as well! One of my mates from another school who failed all her subjects, got an interview and a place for Loreto aswell! Her school is Catholic though. Mine isn’t. That’s unfair. I got a letter saying they’re unable to offer me a place? Don’t really understand why I’ve been rejected although I applied dead early, and my personal statement was brilliant. Someone please explain how it works, I’m gutted.

Thanks for taking your time for reading this.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
To my knowledge loreto have a certain hierarchy/system for how they choose people which you can find on their website, i think it goes something like:
Looked after children,
Those in catholic partner schools,
Those in other catholic schools,
Those who are baptised catholic,
Everyone else,
Those who apply late.
Stuff like predicted grades, whether they have a sibling there, what courses they apply to and their requirements or if they just have a really good statement are important variables. I dont go to loreto so its probs best to ask people who go there
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by yeyeskizzzz
Hi. Let me state something that I’m really confused about and want you guys’ opinion. Right:
In September 2023 I started year 11. Okay I knew what we had to do was to apply for Colleges. My grades were decent, I passed everything and I had 3 6’s as my predicted grades, but actually scored 4 in English language, and 4 in English literature. But I think colleges looked at the predicted grades. I was the FIRST one in my whole year group to apply to Loreto College. I really thought I could get in as I picked Business A Level, Media Studies A Level, Economics A Level. In the year 10 mocks I did not as good as I know I can do. Got grade 6 in maths predicted 7, grade 3 business predicted 5. I applied to Loreto and got that out of the way.
I also applied to Xaverian. And Connell. I got into them both easily. But we did another set of mocks in February which improved every single one of my grades. Business I got a grade 8, predicted 9. Maths got a grade 5, predicted 7 unfortunately. English lang grade 6, predicted 7. Same with literature.
My mates who applied dead late for Loreto, got an interview shortly after and they got accepted with a place, but they were on the same grade ranges as me!!! Same school as well! One of my mates from another school who failed all her subjects, got an interview and a place for Loreto aswell! Her school is Catholic though. Mine isn’t. That’s unfair. I got a letter saying they’re unable to offer me a place? Don’t really understand why I’ve been rejected although I applied dead early, and my personal statement was brilliant. Someone please explain how it works, I’m gutted.
Thanks for taking your time for reading this.

Your application will have been rejected based on the grades you got when you sent it in. It wouldn’t matter that it was early. These would not be good enough for a non catholic applicant. Loreto prioritise students from their feeder catholic high schools. This is in their admissions policy. If you think you have improved your grades significantly you can let them know. They won’t have been updated by your school. Bear in mind you need a good grade in maths and a good understanding of the subject to be successful in A Level Economics. A bit of humility wouldn’t go amiss either.

Quick Reply

Latest