The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Username -Oladz-
Level : A2
Is History your favourite subject? - A close second to biology :smile:
How much do you love History on a scale of 1-10? - 9 History has changed the way I view life and situations on a personal and international level!
What grades have you received for the subject in the past? - GCSE: A
AS Level; B (was close but no cigar!)
Username - stef.strawbs.123
Level (GCSE, A level, undergrad etc...) - GCSE
Is History your favourite subject? - Yes
How much do you love History on a scale of 1-10? - 10
What grades have you received for the subject in the past? - still at GCSE!
What period/s of History are you most interested in? - Modern world history
Hi again everyone. I just had an idea for one of my 'fun essays'. It involves comparing the prosecutions of Hitler and Nick Griffin. Why didn't Griffin's prosecution elicit as great a Nationalist sentiment as Hitler's did? Any ideas? Of course, we have to compare the difference in environment, conditions etc. different states in world affairs; the magnitude of each. As well as addressing the fact that Griffin could still make headway.
Reply 23
Username - Gremlins
Level (GCSE, A level, undergrad etc...) - A-level ATM
Is History your favourite subject? - Eh... probably tied with politics. Awesome teachers, though.
How much do you love History on a scale of 1-10? - 8?
What grades have you received for the subject in the past? - Obsessing with grades is deeply unhealthy.
What period/s of History are you most interested in? -Victorian Britain, Spanish civil war, China and South-East Asia, pre-colonial and colonial Africa. My ignorance of European history before about 1780 is appalling.
Reply 24
Username - Cantab
Level (GCSE, A level, undergrad etc...) - Undergrad, Cambridge
Is History your favourite subject? - Yes
How much do you love History on a scale of 1-10? - Having historical knowledge - 10, the work towards that, probably about a 5-6.
What grades have you received for the subject in the past? - 2.i/few 1sts
What period/s of History are you most interested in? - Medieval English history and Classical Greece, have severely gone off anything modern since getting to university.
Reply 25
Username - LizB
Level (GCSE, A level, undergrad etc...) -A level
Is History your favourite subject? - Yup with English a close second
How much do you love History on a scale of 1-10? - 9
What grades have you received for the subject in the past? - A at GCSE and A at AS level
What period/s of History are you most interested in? - I've always been obsessed with the tudors but right now I'm drifting later in terms of interest. I'd like to learn more about the Georgian period in particular but right now I'm bogged down with coursework etc. So it will have to wait until Uni, because I'm going to be trying to get through all the books I've accumulated over the last couple of years and have never read.
Come on people - we want to get this thread started. I bet you all we won't be able to beat Medicine. :wink:
Username - Bagration
Level (GCSE, A level, undergrad etc...) - A level (applied to UG)
Is History your favourite subject? - Either that or Economics...
How much do you love History on a scale of 1-10? - 9
What grades have you received for the subject in the past? - A... and then B, which sucked.
What period/s of History are you most interested in? - Military history 1900-2009, post colonial history, South China Sea History, Southern African post-colonial History (I.e. Rhodesia & SuidAfrika)
necessarily benevolent
Hi again everyone. I just had an idea for one of my 'fun essays'. It involves comparing the prosecutions of Hitler and Nick Griffin. Why didn't Griffin's prosecution elicit as great a Nationalist sentiment as Hitler's did? Any ideas? Of course, we have to compare the difference in environment, conditions etc. different states in world affairs; the magnitude of each. As well as addressing the fact that Griffin could still make headway.
I don't think that the current situation is anything comparable to the Weimar Republic. People did not see the leadership at the time of Griffin's prosecution as having betrayed the country and plunged us into economic malaise. Furthermore, I think that in this country there has always been a strong support for the democratic process and anti-fascism in general, then of course we have the lessons of history, etc - and the fact is that the cause the BNP has rallied around is not particularly popular and the Party itself less so. I don't even know why I posted that, I'm just bored.
Username - Bubbles*de*Milo
Level (GCSE, A level, undergrad etc...) - GCSE, AS, A level
Is History your favourite subject? - One of them, oui.
How much do you love History on a scale of 1-10? -8/9
What grades have you received for the subject in the past? - GCSE = A, AS = A, A level = C (don't ******* ask) Got 100% for history AS module (British foreign and imperial policy, 1800s)
What period/s of History are you most interested in? - Asian history (Great King Sejong), I'm a bit of a sinophile (omg, Eurasian guys...! :coma:), and general ancient British history (ie, anything above 300 yrs ago. I'm not a fan of the Victorians, Stuarts etc...). I like Roman and Viking history (when I was a kid I had loads of history books about them).

Didn't you used to love The Horrible History series?
Reply 30
Bubbles*de*Milo

Didn't you used to love The Horrible History series?

Oh yeah, they were brilliant. I also liked the spin-off series Dead Famous. I still have my Dead Famous book on Elizabeth I, but I don't know what happened to the rest of them. =[
HORRIBLE HISTORY OMFG

They were so, so awesome
LOL yeah they were. I have loads around in my room still.
Same. My favourite was the WWII one and the Victorian one ^_^
No I liked the Roman one; "Rotten Romans", I prefer older stuff, I can't remember, it's been aggggggggggggggges.
You know what? I miss them. I miss history. I miss it alot. Like, almost where I'm wondering why I didn't do it undergrad. I just don't like recent history; Cold War, World Wars etc... bore me. I prefer ancient history.

My book shelf has on top of it (I just looked over) "Who were the Vikings?", some childrens book, and underneath this book I stole from my sixth form library about Red Indians, ^_^
I love them, the Red Indians I mean, and Incas, Mayas etc...
Reply 35
Username -
Level (GCSE, A level, undergrad etc...) - undergrad
Is History your favourite subject? - yes
How much do you love History on a scale of 1-10? - 10
What grades have you received for the subject in the past? - good grades
What period/s of History are you most interested in? - High and later Middle Ages, the Crusading Era especially/ World History after 1989/90, although some would argue this isn't history yet.
Reply 36
When I applied for universitys I mentioned Horrible Historys as the reason why I still loved the subject. I think that made all the dfference :wink: But I'm a graduate of History from leeds, always loved the subject. Studied 17th Century England in particular was the reign of Charles II and James II and the glorious revolution. I also know a little bit about THe Williamite War in Ireland (dissertation on the Battle of Aughrim July 1691)
Also studied India in '47 and the second Hundred Years War (essentially Napoleonic stuff etc)
Reply 37
By Second Hundred Years War, I assume you mean the Wars with France in the 18th Century?
Reply 38
upto about 1815 but yeah!
Reply 39
Ashimar
upto about 1815 but yeah!

Well yes - and starting in 1689...

Latest

Trending

Trending