The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I found the following on the Higher Ed. website of a leading public school:-

"You do not need to put down your ASs, but you will need to put the A levels you will take next summer (A2s). These go in with a forward date and the grade (obviously) has to be "pending".

And

"Your results in the AS papers will not be entered on your UCAS form, (which you will complete in the Autumn Term of 2008). Universities make conditional offers on the basis of your predicted A Level grades. There is provision to re-sit AS modules in the Summer Term 2009 (or in exceptional circumstances in January 2010) and you should speak to ................ if you feel your results could be better. If however, you were to have gained excellent AS grades your housemaster will be able to mention them in the reference he will write for your UCAS form.

So obviously applicants from that school will NOT be including 'bad' AS levels. So what's correct - are AS grades included, or not?
Geokitty

So obviously applicants from that school will NOT be including 'bad' AS levels. So what's correct - are AS grades included, or not?

It depends upon whether they have been certificated. If so, declaration is compulsory. Presumably that school doesn't certificate AS levels. Many do.
Reply 22
Good bloke
It depends upon whether they have been certificated. If so, declaration is compulsory. Presumably that school doesn't certificate AS levels. Many do.

Sorry, not quite sure about this. Can you explain what you mean by 'certifcated'. You say many schools do certificate - but do MOST ? So do you mean that if I do an AS level, and do NOT carry it on to A2, that if I do not 'certificate' that the result will be lost/not counted? And that if I 'certificate' it that I must declare it on the UCAS application ?
Geokitty
Sorry, not quite sure about this. Can you explain what you mean by 'certifcated'. You say many schools do certificate - but do MOST ? So do you mean that if I do an AS level, and do NOT carry it on to A2, that if I do not 'certificate' that the result will be lost/not counted? And that if I 'certificate' it that I must declare it on the UCAS application ?

Here are the UCAS rules: http://www.ucas.com/students/startapplication/apply09/education/

AS levels not taken on to A" are usually certificated by schools, I think. Perhaps half of schools certificate the others too. As I said before, if certificated you must declare it. You can re-sit elements of certificated AS/A levels (http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/379/Reminder%20of%20change%20to%20the%20GCE%20Applied%20GCE%20and%20GNVQ%20certification%20and%20decline%20rules.pdf).
Reply 24
I wouldn't be too worried about including it - I got an E in AS Level Music, included it on my UCAS form (applying for History) and still managed to get 5 offers... if it's unrelated they probably won't mind and, indeed, may credit you for taking a subject that is obviously challenging you.

And don't write yourself off too early - you may do better than you think! :smile:
I know people who have got stung by this. From this year, U grades had to be declared. However, I know people who didn't.
pineapplesmoothie
I know people who have got stung by this. From this year, U grades had to be declared. However, I know people who didn't.

That is because U grades at A or AS level don't have to be declared, as you will see if you take a look at the UCAS website: http://www.ucas.com/students/startapplication/apply09/education/quals
Good bloke
That is because U grades at A or AS level don't have to be declared, as you will see if you take a look at the UCAS website: http://www.ucas.com/students/startapplication/apply09/education/quals

Good Bloke, which bit exactly are you wanting me to read?
pineapplesmoothie
Good Bloke, which bit exactly are you wanting me to read?

It would take about one minute to read all of it, wouldn't it?

Specifically, though, you should note the repeated use of the word certificated, when UCAS tells you which qualifications to include. U grades are, by definition not certificated.
Good bloke
It would take about one minute to read all of it, wouldn't it?

Specifically, though, you should note the repeated use of the word certificated, when UCAS tells you which qualifications to include. U grades are, by definition not certificated.

Thankyou for, as usual, being so polite about it.
pineapplesmoothie
Thankyou for, as usual, being so polite about it.

You are most welcome. The correctness of what I wrote is a better reason to be grateful though.

Latest

Trending

Trending