The Student Room Group

not sure if ill get accepted into pharmacy

i do biology and chemistry a level along with health and social btec and an epq, I have lots of work experience with pharmacy in person, and I want to hopefully get accepted into university of birmigham since I've done a pathway there so its reduced my entry requirements from AAB to BBB but I'm not sure if I can get in because of my health and social, I've heard of clearing but I want to avoid, I'm basically lost tbh

i also did my mocks recently in year 12 and they weren't the best, but I have 5 weeks until my next report so I have time to improve these predicted grades before I send off my personal statement, that's why I've mentioned cleaning above
Original post by sima:)
i do biology and chemistry a level along with health and social btec and an epq, I have lots of work experience with pharmacy in person, and I want to hopefully get accepted into university of birmigham since I've done a pathway there so its reduced my entry requirements from AAB to BBB but I'm not sure if I can get in because of my health and social, I've heard of clearing but I want to avoid, I'm basically lost tbh

i also did my mocks recently in year 12 and they weren't the best, but I have 5 weeks until my next report so I have time to improve these predicted grades before I send off my personal statement, that's why I've mentioned cleaning above

Some universities will accept the BTEC in health and social and others wont. You need to contact the university to ask whether they will. It might help you are taking Biology and Chemistry A levels. Be aware there is no BTEC equivalent to a B grade. A distinction is equivalent to a grade A and merit is classed as a C so you will need a distinction to meet your offer.

I doubt Birmingham will be in clearing for Pharmacy although other universities will.
Hi @sima [s]smile[/s],

I know you mentioned that clearing is not your desired alternative but it can be very heplful in your situation.

Basically, clearing is for those who missed the application deadline, wish to change courses or universities, didn't get the grades they expected, etc. It's another opportunity for students to go to university, fill the places that haven't been taked yet and apply outside the normal application window.

To some it seems like a sad backup plan, but it's designed for students to study their desired course and pursue their dream career.

If you still have questions or concerns regarding clearing, all universities have a clearing line which you can find online or call and ask any possible enquiries; such as, are my grades sufficient, is my work experience helpful or valid, etc.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Original post by sima:)

Birmingham appear to be ok with relevant BTECs for pharmacy if you have the correct A-level subjects:

"BTEC Extended Diploma will not be considered without A level Chemistry.
BTEC Diploma in science related subject will be considered in addition to 2 A levels including Chemistry.
BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in science related subject will be considered in addition to 2 A levels including Chemistry."
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/med/pharmacy-4-year.aspx#EntryRequirementsTab
Reply 4
Bath would be fine with this A level and BTEC combination - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2024/pharmacy/ - the requirement is AB in A level Chemistry and a second science or mathematics subject plus D in the BTEC National Extended Certificate. Its only BTEC Applied Science that Bath wont accept - because there is to much overlap with A level Chemistry etc.
Reply 5
thank you all for your replies, tbh I don't really view clearing as bad because getting a place I the main priority, however pharmac is a competitive course so I'm not even sure if there will be any spaces left by that time. Also I have been looking at other unis like Bath butt I've decided I'm not moving out so I need a place close to me and birmigham unis are one the closest but also good unis that I can think of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending