The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

wait til you get acute liver failure :zomg:
Reply 21
Goonakampf
I've been on metronidazole twice in the last two months, for a week each time, and count myself fortunate in that I've had no real side effects (except perhaps a slight dryness of the mouth). I was also scrupulous in avoiding any alcoholic drink or any foodstuff or product with alcohol in. However I'm still anxious to know how the minimum safe interval between taking the last dose and ingesting any alcohol. It's just that I'm rather partial to the Italian dessert tiramisu, which has wine among its ingredients. As well as being insatiably curious about the physiology and biochemistry involved in the drug interaction.

The doctors/pharmacists usually say, to be safe, don't drink any alcohol for 48 hours after the last tablet taken. That's not to say that it takes 48 hours to clear from your system necessarily but it should definately be cleared by that time so it'll be safe to drink again, for sure, after that.

From what I know (I'm not a biochemist or anything but I know a bit) when you drink alcohol it is broken down in three stages:

1) Alcohol Dehydrogenase breaks down the alcohol into Acetaldehyde, which is quite toxic.

2) Aldehyde dehydrogenase breaks down the Acetaldehyde to an acetate.

3) The acetate is then broken down and released from the body as carbon dioxide (breathed out) and water (pee'd out).

The Metronidazole as far as I am aware stops the second process. It inhibits the Aldehyde dehydrogenase and as a result a build up of the Acetaldehyde gives you the unpleasant side-effects.
Reply 22
"Your all a big bunch of student f@nnies, I'm on Metronidazole for a gum infection and I went out last night and got so drunk I don't even remember going home, at no point in the evening did I get ANY of your supposed side effects and I felt so fine this morning I made it to my work (unlike some others!!!) so stuff your advice up your @rse because you CAN drink alcohol with these tablets, in any quantity you like!"

Whilst this reply is a little too emphatic... I will say I had a glass of wine on 2 days whilst I was on this for a wisdom tooth infection and didn't pass out. I did experience strange waves of pain that lasted about 2 days, was checking if I could have a glass of wine with my dinner tonight but think I'll leave it. I'm on met for a wisdom tooth infection that I got after having my first ever hygeinist appointment (which was brutal by the way).
I tend to agree, I have the stuff from time to time and (touch wood) no problems .. what I want to know is does alcohol stop the drug doing its thing?
Reply 24
Well done mibazza for having a liver of steel!! Im quite partial to a small refreshment myself although my doctor failed to alert me on the side effects of metronidazole with alcohol and I can honestly say it is a no no!! I had a couple of glasses of wine with dinner last night after taking the drug for 4 days and spent most of the night wrapped around the toilet seat!!

I AM in work at the moment and STILL feel absolutely rotten. Maybe you got so piss3d last night you cant remember being sick since you proudly explained you can't even remember making it home!!
Um yeah im actually drinking a beer while writing this, 40mins after taking my third pill of the day for 4 days now. Not boasting just wanted to say its a person to person sort of thing. small amount of alcohol are okay for some, but large amounts are bad for everyone. All thats happened to me more is a slight tightness of chest which could be worrying but well i fell much better ever time i burp.
Dont drink anymore than four it hasn't turned out to well...not sick but bit of a headache and might actually be sick not sure its not looking good
Sir-Jackington
Um yeah im actually drinking a beer while writing this, 40mins after taking my third pill of the day for 4 days now. Not boasting just wanted to say its a person to person sort of thing. small amount of alcohol are okay for some, but large amounts are bad for everyone. All thats happened to me more is a slight tightness of chest which could be worrying but well i fell much better ever time i burp.

its nota person to person thing, its near universal.

metronidazole + booze = horrendously bad idea.

Latest