The Student Room Group

OCD - Im not sure about it

I believe I may have some obsessive compulsions that are unusual and weird, but none of them are particularly serious I don't think... I have checked for some definitions of what OCD is, and some of the points seem to apply, but I'm just looking for advice on my mental state and whether or not it can be considered normal.. Here are a few examples of what I do:

1. Whenever I look at a digital clock and all the numbers are the same, I say aloud three times each number on the clock, and I get unnaturally worried that the time might change while im doing it.. so when its 10 22 at night, I have to say... 2.2.2.2, 2.2.2.2, 2.2.2.2... weird.

2. Whenever I flush the toilet, I have to wahs my hands and get back to another room before the top section of the toilet fills up again and the sound stops.. or.. else..:s-smilie:

3. When opening a door that closes automatically (unless its electrically operated) I have to run out of the door's 'line of sight' or I am shot by the door... yes, that is a bit weird I think, but mostly harmless..

4. I cant let the microwave finish its BLEEP noise when it finished cooking, and have to hit stop before it does, or as with 1, I get really upset.

There are others, but those are the common ones... I dont THINK I have a major problem, and it seems more like cute, albeit weird habits than a real problem, but just felt curious to ask..

Cheers.. robbie
Reply 1
Book an appointment with your GP. You do seem to be carrying out a few complex rituals associated with OCD.

Diagnosis of OCD is usually based on the following

Symptoms cause significant distress
Symptoms take up more than 1 hour a day
Symptoms significantly interfere with work, relationships, or daily functioning
The person recognizes that his or her obsessions and compulsions are unreasonable or excessive.

If you want to read more about OCD, a good place to start is the page on the NHS Direct website, here.

EDIT: Basically summed up in above post but if you want further details on diagnostic criteria then just give me a pm or an email!!

I'd say just go the doctor if it's worrying you :smile:

Ruthie xx
Reply 3
RobbieC
I believe I may have some obsessive compulsions that are unusual and weird, but none of them are particularly serious I don't think... I have checked for some definitions of what OCD is, and some of the points seem to apply, but I'm just looking for advice on my mental state and whether or not it can be considered normal.. Here are a few examples of what I do:

1. Whenever I look at a digital clock and all the numbers are the same, I say aloud three times each number on the clock, and I get unnaturally worried that the time might change while im doing it.. so when its 10 22 at night, I have to say... 2.2.2.2, 2.2.2.2, 2.2.2.2... weird.

2. Whenever I flush the toilet, I have to wahs my hands and get back to another room before the top section of the toilet fills up again and the sound stops.. or.. else..:s-smilie:

3. When opening a door that closes automatically (unless its electrically operated) I have to run out of the door's 'line of sight' or I am shot by the door... yes, that is a bit weird I think, but mostly harmless..

4. I cant let the microwave finish its BLEEP noise when it finished cooking, and have to hit stop before it does, or as with 1, I get really upset.

There are others, but those are the common ones... I dont THINK I have a major problem, and it seems more like cute, albeit weird habits than a real problem, but just felt curious to ask..

Cheers.. robbie

If you want to know more about ocd pm me. I suffer from it.

It sounds like you may have very mild symptoms of it, as long as it isnt interfering majorly in your life or causing you distress, it shoudnt be too much of a problem. do go to your gp though if you are worried.

If you need more info. just pm me.
Reply 4
Well I would say only no. 4 applies to me and I dont believe they are excessive compulsions...just very weird.. And it takes up a maximum of 2 extra minutes a day maybe, its become something subconscious that is integrated into my life.
Reply 5
RobbieC
Well I would say only no. 4 applies to me and I dont believe they are excessive compulsions...just very weird.. And it takes up a maximum of 2 extra minutes a day maybe, its become something subconscious that is integrated into my life.

I would still advise you to go to the doctors about it. Try to keep an eye on it. Ocd thrives on stress and anxiety, so if you get particularly stressed and notice an increase in compulsions etc, do go and see your GP.

take care :smile:
Reply 6
RobbieC

I do that too! I wouldn't be too worried about it though, even though I am wierd, I don't think it's something to be majorly concerned about.
I personally don't think you need professional help. (unless I do too :eek: )
I'm not helping, I know... :redface:

I see my odd compulsions as silly habits, like nailbiting.
I guess it depends how upset you get if you don't do them, or if they don't work (like when it bleeps before you hit stop). I feel upset for about 2 seconds then forget about it.
So visit your GP if its causing 'significant distress'.
Reply 7
i'd love physical rituals like those. would certainly beat the ass off the mental torture i have at the moment.
Reply 8
technik
i'd love physical rituals like those. would certainly beat the ass off the mental torture i have at the moment.

Mental torture of any sort (i'm not sure how you mean) must be really horrible for you. However i don't think detracting away from the OP's worries makes them any less severe for them.
Reply 9
RobbieC

Cheers.. robbie

Hi there,

I used to suffer from OCD...I mean at the time I didn't think I had it but looking back it was obvious I did. It was mostly hygeine related (obsessively washing hands, using kitchen cleaning spray on *everything* :s-smilie: etc etc). I found it really hard to talk about it, even with my parents who I'm quite close to. I would never have been able to talk to my GP about it, but maybe it's easier with someone you don't know as well, I'm not sure.
I got over it eventually, but it took some time. I don't know if I've given any useful advice but maybe it's nice to know that other people suffer/have suffered from it.
All the best x
Reply 10
if you are worried enough to post something.. go and see your GP, i have some stress related foibles.. one being...i have to BLEACH everything in bathroom or kitchen and even my room and windows and door knobs.....EVERY TIME i use them...or anyone does, otherwise i am sure it is awful. and then have panic attacks. have ruined countless clothes and carpets and wood is a nono in our kicthen and have had bleach burns so i saw a doc, he just suggested ensuring i have 'bleach' clothes and gloves next to all bottles and refered me to uni counselor. much better now, tunnled this engery on to other things.. he was was understnading.. i would suggest it... mine was related subconc. to being ill alot (bugs) and having IBS so bad that i thought i could control that by ensuring things were clean..

my housemates love it tho :rolleyes: .. cleanest house in my town around exams when noone else has time to clean!! :biggrin:
Reply 11
They are quite mild issues, I think most people go through phases like that but if it has been going on for some time and if you start obsessing over more and more rituals then you should try and talk to someone, have a look for online communities, they can be a real help and maybe someone can suggest a therapist near you.

You should really think about it before going to your GP with a possible mental issue, if it turns out it isn't that serious you might not want it on your record forever.

Latest

Trending

Trending