The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Higgy90
as in my previous post, they use the same amount as if the phone was plugged in.

The exact same?
Higgy90
as in my previous post, they use the same amount as if the phone was plugged in.

I can't remember where, but there was a study that demonstrated that you're talking bull.

They do use some, but far less than normal.
Reply 22
OK I have done a mini test:

Household consumption with charger unplugged: 218 w/h

Household consumption with charger plugged in and no phone attatched: 218 w/h

Household consumption with charger plugged in and phone is attatched: 225 w/h

There you go then.
Reply 23
Rian1988
OK I have done a mini test:

Household consumption with charger unplugged: 218 w/h

Household consumption with charger plugged in and no phone attatched: 218 w/h

Household consumption with charger plugged in and phone is attatched: 225 w/h

There you go then.

what the hell kind of unit is "w/h"?
Reply 24
Higgy90
what the hell kind of unit is "w/h"?

Watts per hour.
Reply 25
Rian1988
Watts per hour.

Reply 26
Sorry you are trying to say that a mobile charger uses the same as when no phone is attached, I have given you the evidence and you post a picture? So does a charger use the same as when a phone is attached or not? No it's not the same.
Reply 27
Rian1988
Sorry you are trying to say that a mobile charger uses the same as when no phone is attached, I have given you the evidence and you post a picture? So does a charger use the same as when a phone is attached or not? No it's not the same.

there is no such thing as a watt/hour. your test is idiotic. i wish people who dont have a clue what they are talking about wouldnt post in threads such as this.

yes a charger DOES use the same amount of power whether a phone is plugged in or not
Reply 28
Rian1988
Watts per hour.

Haha.

So a joule per second per hour?
Reply 29
ADREAM
Conflicting answers! :eek:

I don't know who to give +rep to! :puppyeyes:

Give it to no one, that'll learn 'em.

You'd lose power even if you never plugged anything in in your house, because the network eats power, no such thing as a free lunch or above 0oC superconductivity.

There is no right answer as someone else said though it depends what you have plugged in. Anywhere electrons are moving in your house, is never 100% efficient though, that much is true, so technically it should be very hard not to lose power whatever you plug in and turn off and don't.
Reply 30
Higgy90
there is no such thing as a watt/hour. your test is idiotic. i wish people who dont have a clue what they are talking about wouldnt post in threads such as this.

yes a charger DOES use the same amount of power whether a phone is plugged in or not

How is my test idiotic, that was how much my house was using in watts (is that not an electrical measurement?) every hour (measurement of time). So if my house was using more electric when the only thing that changed was the phone plugged in then surely that means it's correct, please explain if it's not though.
Reply 31
Rian1988
How is my test idiotic, that was how much my house was using in watts (is that not an electrical measurement?) every hour (measurement of time). So if my house was using more electric when the only thing that changed was the phone plugged in then surely that means it's correct, please explain if it's not though.

like i said, if you dont know what your talking about, dont post.
Reply 32
Higgy90
like i said, if you dont know what your talking about, dont post.

No it's a forum where you discuss things, unless you are going to prove me otherwise I don't understand why my test is not correct?
Reply 33
Rian1988
No it's a forum where you discuss things, unless you are going to prove me otherwise I don't understand why my test is not correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt

knock yourself out
Reply 34
Higgy90
Having a light bulb, for example, plugged into a socket without it being on will not use power.
Any device that uses a transformer WILL use power (i.e a phone charger) as the principle behind this is that the current induces a lower current in a different circuit that is open (i.e off).

other devices such as T.Vs on standby use some power, however it is reduced from the full power. if the tv is off it doesnt use any.
video players etc which have displays eg. time even when its "off" will use power.

hope that helps

.....lightbulbs plug into sockets?? :s-smilie:
Reply 35
Higgy90

I will admit I'm not a scientist so don't really get what that link proves. My post explained that having the charger plugged in with no phone does not use the same electric as if it was plugged in, if you don't think that was correct can you explain? I genuinely am interested and would like to know.
Reply 36
XxCalxX
.....lightbulbs plug into sockets?? :s-smilie:

Lamps.
Reply 37
Higgy90

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt-hour

isn't it the standard unit electricity consumption is measured in?
Reply 38
Rian1988
I will admit I'm not a scientist so don't really get what that link proves. My post explained that having the charger plugged in with no phone does not use the same electric as if it was plugged in, if you don't think that was correct can you explain? I genuinely am interested and would like to know.

As someone said previously, a Watt, is a Joule per second.

In layman's terms that basically means the amount of energy passing through in the specified time period. In the case of Watts, that specified time period is one second.

You said that you measured your household energy consumption in Watts per hour. Which makes no sense at all, because that would mean you were measuring Joules per second per hour.
Reply 39
gamer91
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt-hour

isn't it the standard unit electricity consumption is measured in?

Pretty much; some people like to convert it to joules but they are continental and obsessed with the metric system and don't count. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending