The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Europeans if I had to pick

Edit: Why not put a poll up? :yep:
Reply 2
Europeans
I get the feeling that Europe wants/needs us more - you get the impression that America now thinks of us as the weak kid following it around the playground. I also didn't believe a word Obama said about the continuing "special relationship" when Brown visited him, it all just seemed like an act to keep us happy.
Europe. :yep:
I'd say Europe, if I had to pick.
Poll please :biggrin:
Reply 7
America. :cool:
Reply 8
Both, preferably. If I had to choose one or the other I'd say the USA.
Reply 9
DrunkHoboGuy
Where's all the europhobes!?

"Rock/hard place analogy" possibly :cool:
Reply 10
USA, they have bigger guns and there not French
Europe. :biggrin:
Europe. I am a moderate Conservative, but I do lean in favour the EU. Of course, whilst it has its issues, creating closer political, economic and cultural integration between European countries can only be a positive thing (in my opinion anyway). I dont think Britain and the USA could ever have such a solid relationship. Our ideals and perspectives are too different.
Reply 13
what :confused: they're really not the same - we're not a united states of europe! You can't really compare them because they're so different.
anyway, I say neither because I am swiss and happily out of the EU mess and enjoying chocolate, cheese and neutrality.
DrunkHoboGuy
Ok poll added

:top: Just thought it would be easier than trawling through pages of arguments (which is bound to happen here) :tongue:
Reply 15
sadie-kiki
what :confused: they're really not the same - we're not a united states of europe! You can't really compare them because they're so different.
anyway, I say neither because I am swiss and happily out of the EU mess and enjoying chocolate, cheese and neutrality.

Aren't you you right in the middle of the EU mess?
USA

the EU just need us seem to want to blood suck us dry, we are like one of the only country's with a major army in EU, can't trust it, plus this whole laws made in the EU, become english law,

and i am left wing on most stuff
Reply 17
Student2806
I get the feeling that Europe wants/needs us more - you get the impression that America now thinks of us as the weak kid following it around the playground. I also didn't believe a word Obama said about the continuing "special relationship" when Brown visited him, it all just seemed like an act to keep us happy.

I don't belive that. Barack Obama has british heritage and many people believe the european union could become the prominent superpower in the world within the next few decades.
Ideally both, but if for some strange reason I had to choose one, it'd be America.

Firstly, militarily they could defeat the rest of the world on their own (probably) or at least defeat Europe. It's good to be on the side of this huge military might.

Secondly while they have lost their way recently, there are still glimpses of their past. The founding fathers are the people I idolise most in vaguely modern history: the notion of freedom and liberty through truly free market capitialism is something I fully support.

However economic liberty alone is not enough, to me it should come in conbination with social/personal freedoms in issues like abortion, drugs, prostitution, hunting, gambling, homosexuality etc etc and America, especially the republicans have a nasty habbit of being too restrictive on these issues compared to our European counterparts.

But still, in spite of my social concerns with America I find them to be a safe ally, and we work well together as a team. :yep:
Reply 19
DrunkHoboGuy
If I was in charge of the EU, first thing I'd do is make a 100% distinction between EU members and non-EU members.

Would the Swiss still call the EU a mess if they ceased gettings its benefits?

What benefits?
You mean they don't give us stupid rules regulating the size of tiles in milk dairies or denying the right to sell in whatever measures we like or stop us from selling very slightly misshapen vegetables? Oh dear. What a shame :rolleyes: I'm sure we'd be much better off if we had to deal with all the ridiculous intrusions in domestic issues and had to let people from countries with awful welfare systems come and take advantage of ours, that'd be just great :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending