The Student Room Group

Some questions for you.

I just thought I'd put some random questions to you on this sunny Sunday morning. Please give reasons for your reply/answer, if possible.

Question 1:

Ok, a genie comes to you and gives you a choice between the following two options:

1. You are given 50 million pounds. You never have to work again in your life and neither does your family. You can do anything you like with it. You're set for life and can pursue every interest you could possibly have. You might travel the world, buy five houses, buy fast cars, invest the money in business, or whatever you like. However, after death you will not be remembered for anything important. After a couple of generations, it will be as if you'd never existed at all.

2. You spend your life in a menial job at a factory, testing lightbulbs. You work twelve hours a day, six days a week. You get three weeks holiday a year. Your salary is £15,000. You have to work until you are sixty-five. But, after your death, a collection of poetry that you wrote, but never had the confidence to publish, will be discovered. Critics will immediately hail you as a genius. As the years go buy, you will gradually acquire a status in literature similar to that of Shakespeare and Homer, with many considering you even better than them. Everybody will know your name, even if they are not actually familiar with your work.*

*If you choose this second option, the genie will wipe your memory. You will not be aware that after death you are destined to aquire fame.

Question 2:

If you could cure the world of HIV/AIDS by killing your Mum, would you do it?

Question 3:

If you had the power to read and control people's minds, would you bend them against their will?

Question 4:

If, by having a burning hot iron placed on your back for one minute every week, you could save five children in the world everyday, would you do it?

Question 5:

If, by stamping fifteen kittens to death every day, you could stop yourself from aging, would you do it? You will of course still die one day, but the physical signs of aging will never appear, and you will remain looking twenty years old for the rest of your life. You will not become decrepit either.

There're the questions; what are your answers?

Scroll to see replies

Question1
Second Option

Question2
No, there is other ways of curing the world.

Question3
Probably, yes.

Question4
No. Im not being selfish, but by the end of the first month you would need skin grafts.It wouldnt work. Like I said in Q2, there is other ways of saving children.

Question5
No way, I love cats :smile:.

I think Im thinking too much into q4, oh well.
Reply 2
HappinessHappening

Question 1:

I would go for option 1, obviously.

Question 2:

No. But mainly because killing my mother would not cure the world of AIDS, so I would just be killing my mother for the hell of it.

Question 3:

If you had the power to read and control people's minds, would you bend them against their will?

Yes. But we sort of have that power already.

Question 4:

If, by having a burning hot iron placed on your back for one minute every week, you could save five children in the world everyday, would you do it?

That's a very silly question. In what possible circumstance would that actually work? You might as well ask me: "If seven thousand monkeys make a Jesus, would you wibble a pingpong if you could hyperjimbulate against a titbit?"

Question 5:

If, by stamping fifteen kittens to death every day, you could stop yourself from aging, would you do it? You will of course still die one day, but the physical signs of aging will never appear, and you will remain looking twenty years old for the rest of your life. You will not become decrepit either.

See answer to previous quesiton.
codflaps
I would go for option 1, obviously.

No. But mainly because killing my mother would not cure the world of AIDS, so I would just be killing my mother for the hell of it.

Yes. But we sort of have that power already.

That's a very silly question. In what possible circumstance would that actually work? You might as well ask me: "If seven thousand monkeys make a Jesus, would you wibble a pingpong if you could hyperjimbulate against a titbit?"

See answer to previous quesiton.

I like how you gave a straight answer to the first question (which involved a genie) but then claimed that the other questions were 'silly'.

Come on, they're hypothetical situations.
Reply 4
HappinessHappening
I like how you gave a straight answer to the first question (which involved a genie) but then claimed that the other questions were 'silly'.

Come on, they're hypothetical situations.

I know, and I'm just pointing out how ridiculous it is to respond to hypothetical situations that don't have any basis in reality. Tell me how me burning myself with an iron is going to save five children each week? How is responding to that in anyway useful? You're asking me what I might do in a fantasy land where everything that I know about logic and experience in this world no longer operates, so how can I answer it? I know your questions aren't entirely serious, but I'm just pointing it out all the same as a matter of interest.

And I gave a straight answer to the first question because genies actually exist :wink: But also because the logic of the question would lead anybody to choose option one rather than option two.
codflaps
I know, and I'm just pointing out how ridiculous it is to respond to hypothetical situations that don't have any basis in reality. Tell me how me burning myself with an iron is going to save five children each week? How is responding to that in anyway useful? You're asking me what I might do in a fantasy land where everything that I know about logic and experience in this world no longer operates, so how can I answer it? I know your questions aren't entirely serious, but I'm just pointing it out all the same as a matter of interest.

And I gave a straight answer to the first question because genies actually exist :wink: But also because the logic of the question would lead anybody to choose option one rather than option two.

*sigh*
Reply 6
1.option 1, definitely..
2.No, I couldn't and wouldn't kill my mum, ever.
3.Errm
4.No, not an actual iron, if it was like a thin iron rod maybe.
5.No, and ageing is one of the things i most dread.
Reply 7
Question 1:

Option 1 - Might aswell live life comfortably.. I mean.. look at us now, in education so we can live life well and comfortably but it is very unlikely that any of us will become famous because of anything? If you did do option 2, the poor kids having to study you will think how rubbish of a life you had.

Question 2:

I think it's a bad idea to 'cure the world of everything', probably as I don't have contact with my mum.. good deed for the day done.

Question 3:

No, that's just wrong and everything around you would be fake. Although if I could convince my boyfriend that he wanted to make me breakfast in bed everyday.. I guess it wouldn't be so bad =]

Question 4:

Noway, one minute!? That's a long time and you'd probably die of third degree burns. Also if it's held there too long and your skin is melting, the iron could potentially weild to your skin = bad times.

Question 5:

Noway, especially as you'd probably get arrested for animal cruelty! Again no, I don't wanna be turned away from buying alcohol when I'm in my 30s-40s. Or look younger than my kids / grandkids!
Demi-Ciel
Question 1:

Option 1 - Might aswell live life comfortably.. I mean.. look at us now, in education so we can live life well and comfortably but it is very unlikely that any of us will become famous because of anything? If you did do option 2, the poor kids having to study you will think how rubbish of a life you had.

Question 2:

I think it's a bad idea to 'cure the world of everything', probably as I don't have contact with my mum.. good deed for the day done.

Question 3:

No, that's just wrong and everything around you would be fake. Although if I could convince my boyfriend that he wanted to make me breakfast in bed everyday.. I guess it wouldn't be so bad =]

Question 4:

Noway, one minute!? That's a long time and you'd probably die of third degree burns. Also if it's held there too long and your skin is melting, the iron could potentially weild to your skin = bad times.

Question 5:

Noway, especially as you'd probably get arrested for animal cruelty! Again no, I don't wanna be turned away from buying alcohol when I'm in my 30s-40s. Or look younger than my kids / grandkids!

That made me laugh. Bit of an understatement, no? :biggrin:
HappinessHappening
I just thought I'd put some random questions to you on this sunny Sunday morning. Please give reasons for your reply/answer, if possible.

Question 1:

Ok, a genie comes to you and gives you a choice between the following two options:

1. You are given 50 million pounds. You never have to work again in your life and neither does your family. You can do anything you like with it. You're set for life and can pursue every interest you could possibly have. You might travel the world, buy five houses, buy fast cars, invest the money in business, or whatever you like. However, after death you will not be remembered for anything important. After a couple of generations, it will be as if you'd never existed at all.

2. You spend your life in a menial job at a factory, testing lightbulbs. You work twelve hours a day, six days a week. You get three weeks holiday a year. Your salary is £15,000. You have to work until you are sixty-five. But, after your death, a collection of poetry that you wrote, but never had the confidence to publish, will be discovered. Critics will immediately hail you as a genius. As the years go buy, you will gradually acquire a status in literature similar to that of Shakespeare and Homer, with many considering you even better than them. Everybody will know your name, even if they are not actually familiar with your work.*

*If you choose this second option, the genie will wipe your memory. You will not be aware that after death you are destined to aquire fame.

Question 2:

Question 3:

Question 4:

Question 5:

Question 1 Option 2
Question 2: Yes
Question 3: Maybe
Question 4: Obviously if the pain of the iron was completely unbearable/ completely destroyed my back, then physically I'd be unable to do it. But I'd want to
Question 5: No
Reply 10
Question 1:

Option one obviously, you can't ejoy fame if your dead so I might as well make the most of my life on earth. Easy choice.

Question 2:

I wouldn't, no.

Question 3:

If I had too.

Question 4:

No, because I'd still not be able to save all the kids, make it 1000 and maybe.

Question 5:

Well if I still die anyway then no, staying 20 for ever would just be strange and pointless.
Reply 11
Question 1:

1. Hmm... wouldn't really do me much good being famous if I'm dead.

Question 2:

No, I would not.

Question 3:

More than likely would.

Question 4:

Nope, 1,000 children maybe.......but 5..... no way.

Question 5:

I'd rather not remain looking 25 for the rest of my life.

:woo:
Reply 12
Question 1.
Option 1

Question 2
Hell no

Question 3
If you had the power to do it, then yes. Could be fun =]

Question 4
NOT a chance

Question 5
No.
Reply 13
Question 1: The first option.
Question 2: No.
Question 3: Only if I didn't like them.
Question 4: No.
Question 5: No.
Reply 14
Question 1:
The first option. I'd rather have an amazing life and not be remembered than hate my life and go down in history. We're a brief sneeze of time - I'll enjoy it while I still have the chance. It's not really worth it if I never know anyway.

Question 2:
If I asked my mum, she would tell me to. I wouldn't want to, though. I love my mum quite a lot.

Question 3:
Yes. I'd feel massively guilty afterwards, but it would be a right laugh. Like living in an episode of Peep Show with less social-awkwardness.

Question 4:
I imagine I'd try and brave it for a while to do the 'right thing', then start finding it so unbearable that selfishness took over and I let the children die, then felt horribly guilty.

Question 5:
No. Kittens are lovely and I'm not bothered about getting old. If I looked 17 forever I'd probably never be allowed to ride the bus for free. Getting old will probably save me a lot of money :smile:
Reply 15
HappinessHappening

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

Question 4:

Question 5:

1. id go for option 1 as id want myself and the family i know to enjoy the money. world fame doesnt really concern me.

2. nope. they will find their own cure soon enough

3. nope. why would i want to?

4. i dont think so, as selfish as it is its not my fault.

5. no way, id rather age
Question 1 I'd go for 1
Question 2 Hell no!
Question 3 Yes :hubba:
Question 4 Depends whether or not it hurt too much :P
Question 5 Nah, whats the point?
Reply 17
HappinessHappening
Question 1:

The first one, mostly because if you're famous people also remember the embarassing stuff you did!

HappinessHappening
Question 2:

No, but I'd kill other people.

HappinessHappening
Question 3:

Probably, but nothing bad, just get them to make me the odd cup of tea!

HappinessHappening
Question 4:

No

HappinessHappening
Question 5:

No, but ask me again in twenty years and I'd probably say yes!
Reply 18
For those claiming this is silly; the questions are about implications rather than events so you needn't worry about that.
Reply 19
Edenr
For those claiming this is silly; the questions are about implications rather than events so you needn't worry about that.

Could you explain what you mean as I don't follow that.

Latest

Trending

Trending