The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Question 1:

Option 1, thanks. I've never had a desire to become famous, and poetry isn't really my thing anyway. Posthumous fame isn't going to benefit me in anyway, and will just be a way for future generations to earn money on the back of me, which they probably wouldn't need to do if I took option 1 anyway. I'd rather not have a miserable existence working my ass off in a dead end job with no money my entire life if I could help it. Option 1 would enable you to create a lot of good - in terms of charity and making a difference to peoples lives. I don't think (or would hope) it wouldn't change me too much as a person anyway, I'd probably still work in some capacity if I could - be it my own business or for charity etc.

Question 2:

If you could cure the world of HIV/AIDS by killing your Mum, would you do it?

No - not only because it's my Mum, but where does it stop? Shoot your Dad to cure cancer, murder your Nan to stop famines etc. There are too many problems in the world to be cured by just one person. I'd rather die myself than lose or kill any of my loved ones.

Question 3:

If you had the power to read and control people's minds, would you bend them against their will?

I'd sometimes like to be able to read minds, not so crazy on controlling them - I don't think I'd like to, it could all go very wrong. On the other hand I suppose it'd depend on what was on their mind and what they were planning to do - if it was something awful/destructive I'd try and bend them slightly I suppose.
Question 4:

If, by having a burning hot iron placed on your back for one minute every week, you could save five children in the world everyday, would you do it?

Selfishly, no. As someone else said, you wouldn't last very long before needing major skin graft surgery and would be in tremendous pain all of the time. The causes of infant mortality need to be tackled by the powers in charge, saving a random 5 children a day won't help that.

Question 5:

If, by stamping fifteen kittens to death every day, you could stop yourself from aging, would you do it? You will of course still die one day, but the physical signs of aging will never appear, and you will remain looking twenty years old for the rest of your life. You will not become decrepit either.

No - your friends/family would still be aging as normal so you'd soon lose them - someone who looks and acts like a 20 year old isn't going to keep much in common with friends as they're all hitting their older years are they. I'd try and live an active and healthy lifestyle to keep me in good health as I aged, and hope that good genes come in to play with regards to what I look like. If not, I'm not averse to having botox to get rid of any early wrinkles! Plus stamping kittens to death is awful and I just wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it.
Reply 21
HappinessHappening
I just thought I'd put some random questions to you on this sunny Sunday morning. Please give reasons for your reply/answer, if possible.

Question 1:

Ok, a genie comes to you and gives you a choice between the following two options:

1. You are given 50 million pounds. You never have to work again in your life and neither does your family. You can do anything you like with it. You're set for life and can pursue every interest you could possibly have. You might travel the world, buy five houses, buy fast cars, invest the money in business, or whatever you like. However, after death you will not be remembered for anything important. After a couple of generations, it will be as if you'd never existed at all.

2. You spend your life in a menial job at a factory, testing lightbulbs. You work twelve hours a day, six days a week. You get three weeks holiday a year. Your salary is £15,000. You have to work until you are sixty-five. But, after your death, a collection of poetry that you wrote, but never had the confidence to publish, will be discovered. Critics will immediately hail you as a genius. As the years go buy, you will gradually acquire a status in literature similar to that of Shakespeare and Homer, with many considering you even better than them. Everybody will know your name, even if they are not actually familiar with your work.*

*If you choose this second option, the genie will wipe your memory. You will not be aware that after death you are destined to aquire fame.

Question 2:

Question 3:

If you had the power to read and control people's minds, would you bend them against their will?

Question 4:

If, by having a burning hot iron placed on your back for one minute every week, you could save five children in the world everyday, would you do it?

Question 5:

If, by stamping fifteen kittens to death every day, you could stop yourself from aging, would you do it? You will of course still die one day, but the physical signs of aging will never appear, and you will remain looking twenty years old for the rest of your life. You will not become decrepit either.

There're the questions; what are your answers?

Question 1.
option 1

Question 2.
No.

Question 3.
Maybe

Question 4l.
Yes

Question 5.
No
Question 1:

Option1. Despite writing poetry already, and wishing it was good enough to warrant being self-published, I have no real desire to become famous, especially after my death, and after a lifetime of gruelling labour.
Frankly, if I could "pursue" what I wanted to with all that money, then I could actually publish poetry collections willy-nilly, and even if they're no good, I won't be remembered after my death so it won't matter. Plus I can just enjoy myself...

Question 2:

No. Not even if I was a HIV/AIDS carrier. I think I would just have to put up with the suffering, and leave others to put up with it too. It's killing your own flesh and blood for fame, and glory; or killing your own flesh and blood to stop millions from suffering - but, to be honest, it's not even a "selfless act" in my book...it's profiting from manslaughter.

Question 3:

Probably. I can be a **** at times. :awesome:

Question 4:

No - that would lead to overcrowding. And to be honest, 6billion people is enough for me. As I see it, the number who die every day versus the number who are born is almost a good balance. So to mess with that balance is just idiotic.

Question 5:

Nope. Screw that. I like cats, for one. And if I live to be that old I will be quite glad, because I can just be the lewd old granddad in the corner shouting "Botty!" and "Erogenous zones!" at the nurses in my care home. :awesome:
Reply 23
codflaps
Could you explain what you mean as I don't follow that.

A=>B says nothing about how likely it is that A will happen. The OP is making no judgment on the likelihood of these situations arising is, but only what would happen if they did.
Reply 24
HappinessHappening
Question 1:

Ok, a genie comes to you and gives you a choice between the following two options:

1. You are given 50 million pounds. You never have to work again in your life and neither does your family. You can do anything you like with it. You're set for life and can pursue every interest you could possibly have. You might travel the world, buy five houses, buy fast cars, invest the money in business, or whatever you like. However, after death you will not be remembered for anything important. After a couple of generations, it will be as if you'd never existed at all.

2. You spend your life in a menial job at a factory, testing lightbulbs. You work twelve hours a day, six days a week. You get three weeks holiday a year. Your salary is £15,000. You have to work until you are sixty-five. But, after your death, a collection of poetry that you wrote, but never had the confidence to publish, will be discovered. Critics will immediately hail you as a genius. As the years go buy, you will gradually acquire a status in literature similar to that of Shakespeare and Homer, with many considering you even better than them. Everybody will know your name, even if they are not actually familiar with your work.*

*If you choose this second option, the genie will wipe your memory. You will not be aware that after death you are destined to aquire fame.

The money. In a heartbeat.

Question 2:

No, I wouldn't kill anyone, never mind my mother.

Question 3:

Oh yes, probably. Nothing too bad though.

Question 4:

Yeah, I think I probably would.

Question 5:

Yeah, but to be honest, it'd probably get a bit tiresome. Fifteen a day? ******' hell.
Question 1:

Hmm, if I could switch a collection of poetry for a collection of philosophical essays, then I'd go for Option 2.

Question 2:

No. Utilitarianism is ********.

Question 3:

No.
Freedom > pathetic self-fulfillment

Question 4:

No.
Well, maybe. The burning sensation is nice anyway.

Question 5:

No, I'm quite looking forward to the aging process.
HappinessHappening
I just thought I'd put some random questions to you on this sunny Sunday morning. Please give reasons for your reply/answer, if possible.

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

Question 4:

Question 5:

1) I'd choose the first option because I could not be doing with that horrible job, I'd rather die. And how is fame after death going to amuse me?

2) Nope, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I can't even kill a fly without having it on my conscience.

3) No, because I'd just end up making a mess of things and wish I hadn't done it. Plus I'm not very creative so I wouldn't know what to do anyway!

4) Theoretically yes, I would be willing to put myself through pain to save lives but I'm not sue how long this would work before I couldn't take it anymore so I would probably think twice.

5) Definitely not. I couldn't kill them anyway, and besides why would I want to look 20 forever when everyone I know is changing naturally. Relationships certainly wouldn't work.
HappinessHappening

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

Question 4:

Question 5:

1. I don't care about notoriety, I just want to be happy in my life. So what if no one remembers me after I die, I'm not exactly going to know about it. I'd rather just be happy while I'm alive.

2. No. Just, no. I couldn't kill anyone, for any reason. I can't even kill bees and wasps and I hate them. So, no.

3. I wouldn't want that power... maybe to be able to read minds would be okay, but if I could control them, I probably would, and be a much worse person for it.

4. No. I'm too much of a wimp.

5. No... couldn't kill anything.
Reply 28
Edenr
A=>B says nothing about how likely it is that A will happen. The OP is making no judgment on the likelihood of these situations arising is, but only what would happen if they did.

Yup. And I'm pointing out that talking about something as if it might happen even though there's no possible way it could happen and is beyond our normal understanding of how things 'happen', and then answering these completely unrealistic hypothetical questions, is a pretty difficult thing to do with any meaning.

Latest

Trending

Trending