The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ledleyking123
Thanks so much for all this help really appreciate it. you don't need to have m/r on nhs forms though right?

Your welcome bud. You need it on all forms mate including NHS. Once a controlled drug is added to any script its automatically a CD script and the CD prescription requirements apply.
But I mean a normal drug on a nhs form, e.g. lithium carbonate doesn't have mr on it does it?

Say if I got given a prescription saying MST continus, thats the mr of morphine, is that legal? as in the brand name has been put on the script. If it is legal, then would that need m/r on it?
Reply 22
Yeah for POM's that aren't Sch 2 or 3, the drug or dose isn't a legal requirement at all surprisingly therefore all issues are either clinical/terms of service/other.

I've just had a look in the BNF and all the lithium carbonate preps appear to be modified release. As its not a legal issue then there's no requirement for it to be on the script. As long as its all clinically sound and there's no confusion on your part about what to dispense, theres no problem. I've seen a lot of scripts for "mesalazine 400mg e/c" tabs but what we give is Asacol M/R and as we know that a non M/R 400mg prep doesnt exist, there's no confusion.

For the MST, as the G.P. prescribed by brand, theres no need to put M/R. If it was written generically then he'd need to specify M/R so there was no confusion and to make sure you dont dispense the standard release morphine. You'd be able to tell if a doctors forgotten M/R on a generically writen script (from the dose being BD)
right I get you now tesh thanks. One more question as per usual hehe, say you got an emergency request from a patient for something such as amitriptyline, now that's an unlicensed indication so is it still plausible to supply it for them?

Secondly, am I right in thinking for dihydrocodeine anything less than 100mg is a CD POM?

Also can you please simplify the morphine bit in the mep, what bloody class is it!?

also you are my saving god!:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending