The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Whatsinaname
Well last Jan, I just did what everyone else did, read through the official book several times, make notes in lessons and go over them close to exam time etc. But a mate of mine, who got straight As told me to just do the past papers. Every single one of them. Go through each question, and look at the answer that is given in the mark scheme. Make a note of the answer, especially for the definitions and the recurring questions. The more you do, the more you realise how many similar questions keep popping up. By the time you get to the last one you will be able to answer the vast majority of the questions off-hand with pretty much the same wording as the mark scheme.

Obviously different things work for different people but for this year's January modules I got straight As (lowest mark was 86 out of 90) with just spending ONE day one on each module going through the past papers. This year I have not so much as written a single line in a notebook during lessons because I just find it pointless. It helps that I have a good short term memory but even if you don't, or just want to do more work than this, it is definitely a good idea to still do as many past papers as you can (with the mark scheme at hand). To be honest, I find it astounding that my college don't encourage this.

So just by doing past papers u managed to get As?
But what if the questions that come up are not ones u have seen previously?
Also, it means that you won't actually understand what you're learning, you're just learning it
However, I guess that if it works then it works!
Well it helps that I'm a genius. Ok, maybe not.

Obviously you need to have a basic understanding of concepts in the first place. This isn't a substitute for traditional learning, just for revision. But no matter how easy or difficult you find understanding the concepts involved, do as many past papers as you can. It will boost your grades dramatically.
Reply 22
Whatsinaname
...just do the past papers. Every single one of them. Go through each question, and look at the answer that is given in the mark scheme. Make a note of the answer, especially for the definitions and the recurring questions. The more you do, the more you realise how many similar questions keep popping up. By the time you get to the last one you will be able to answer the vast majority of the questions off-hand with pretty much the same wording as the mark scheme.

i do exactly this and it's served me well. i still make notes i class and i start of using them for the past papers and then use them less and less until i can do them in exam conditions and get A grades.

OP, having done work exp is not a bad thing. a lot of med schools accept the fact that it can be quite hard to get work exp with a doctor when your only 17. try to get some volunteering/work exp in a caring environment but other wise i don't see why you should have a problem.

In terms of your grades, work your socks off for the summer, start revising early and if you really want it, you'll put in the work and hopefully collect the rewards!
Reply 23
wow, I didnt expect that much of a confidence boost after my post.
thanks. I was beginning to lose hope in medicine, especially after hours of note taking....

Latest

Trending

Trending