The Student Room Group

applying to medicine at uni

Hi all!

I am currently nearing the end of year 12 and I am hoping to study medicine at uni (potentially thinking of Oxford as one of my 4 med choices) and I was a bit unsure if I've done enough to be considered/have a chance of getting in.

I am aware it is a very competitive course overall and not just for Oxford, but I wasn't sure about applying there in case I might have a better chance elsewhere. I really like the traditional course for medicine offered by Oxford and Edinburgh (I also know London unis are quite good but I don't think living in London is something I'd like to do for 6 years, with rent and all) and I like that an intercalated year is compulsory so I can have that opportunity without losing my friends from the first 2 years.

in terms of my academics and application, I am predicted 4 A* (maths, bio, chem, art) which I am not sure if I can achieve, and an A in AS-Level English (which I'll get back this summer) and I have already achieved 11 grade 9s at GCSE from last year. I've done quite a lot of work experience and volunteering, and also have a few extracurriculars and hobbies (music and sport)

something I was a little worried about is that I am currently in an independent school, which might set my application back in comparison to others- but I am uncertain how the unis use this information or how relevant it is in how they give out offers. (advice or info would be really appreciated if anyone has any!)

the current unis I am looking into are: Edinburgh, Newcastle, Nottingham, Bristol, York, and Oxford. I am also thinking of applying to some Irish unis since these are quite close to home.

if anyone has any advice about applications to medicine or if there are any other things I might be able to do to strengthen an application or prepare for interviews (I have organised which dates I am thinking of taking my UCAT exam already, and I am roughly aware of the structure of this and the BMAT so I have enough time to work on those) then your help would be really useful!

thanks! :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)
Thread moved to Medicine forum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending