The Student Room Group

Kings London Uni or Aston?

Hi,

I am a new user, currently in final year of 6th Form so Uni's are on the agenda.

I am really stuck between choosing my final University place, it is between Kings College London (AAB) and Aston University (AAB) for Business Management.

KCL is a 3 Year course whilst Aston is a 4 year course with a Year out in industry. What's troubling me is that I am not sure which to choose, as I am not sure how much that Year out in industry will help me when I get out of Uni, in comparison to KCL which has an excellent reputation;

Does (anybody) think that going to a University with a high reputation (Kings) or a University which offers a Placement Year, is equal or does one have a significant advantage over the other in regard to job prospects?:confused:

(Sorry for the long essay..)
Thanks
Nas
Reply 1
I'd go with KCL.

Have you visited the campuses? maybe that will make help you make you're mind up.
Reply 2
kcl
Reply 3
I turned down KCL in favour of sheffield. it was the only uni where people were quite unfriendly and also girl to boy ratio is 65:35. Have you gone to visit it? You can usually just tell if you want to go there when youve visited both.
Reply 4
Kings
Reply 5
As soon as I saw KCL vs Aston, I know it would be a Business Mgt. course!

Aston has one of the best business departments in the UK and a year out in industry (work) will look good on your CV plus you'll earn some money (consider the fact that finding an job atm is near on impossible). After all when you do go for jobs, experience is always more important than a degree.
Reply 6
Go to Aston (providing you like it there). You will learn more through a year in industry than you will writing essays and reading books.
Reply 7
Wow, thats some speedy replies! Yes I have visited each University, I felt that Aston was more of a warm, slightly at home environment. However with KCL I rekon as a person I would probably become more independent I kind of enjoyed KCL but felt Aston was within my comfort zone. Also considering the next few years London should be an exciting place.

Just how much will that that year in industry lean over a uni with a good track record..
Reply 8
Kcl. /
Reply 9
aston without a doubt for business, has amazing masters aswell i.e MBA year in industry is priceless.
Reply 10
Hi nas241, I have more or less the same problem. I got offers from King's for your same course and bath (business administration with two 6 month placements) and I don't know which one to choose. If I were you however I would go for KCL just for its stronger reputation on an international scale.
Reply 11
nas241
Wow, thats some speedy replies! Yes I have visited each University, I felt that Aston was more of a warm, slightly at home environment. However with KCL I rekon as a person I would probably become more independent I kind of enjoyed KCL but felt Aston was within my comfort zone. Also considering the next few years London should be an exciting place.

Just how much will that that year in industry lean over a uni with a good track record..

I like Aston, biased, but this sounds like you prefer and want to go Kings.
Reply 12
Still stuck:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :eek3:
nas241
Still stuck:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :eek3:

Ive decided im going to aston. :smile: gonna firm it on 1st april..after i formally get rejected by my one remaining uni.

Hope i have a good time and i can actually get a job when i get out.
Reply 14
As of today I have chosen Kings College London - as I feel that opportunity is something I will regret if I went to Aston. I just decided F*** It, living in London is something I may not get to do in the future!

It was just the combination of "not knowing" and moving out of my "comfort zone" that was seriously playing a factor in stoppping me from choosing London.

Now I feel totally better and now am totally focused on working for this position!
aston wins again!! nice! beer me!
Reply 16
J4GGYBoss
aston wins again!! nice! beer me!

?? the OP said he/she chose kcl. no?
I Went to Aston for An Open Day Its got a good Reputation But I Just Didn'T Feel that the place was for me.(my own personal opinion,but try and visit both) Go where your heart tells you and even If you go to Kcl ,you could do a placement (informal) in industry, in the summer anyway.I'm sure the career advisers could help you set it up,thats what QM said to us anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending