The Student Room Group

Boobs, Lingerie & Bra Questions Thread (Continued)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by ranbow99
Yeah that's the one I tried, but it did nothing! :frown: Although I wasn't wearing the top at the time, is it only when you wear the dress/top with it that it shows cleavage? Or does yours still show cleavage with just the bra?

It shows a bit of cleavage with just the bra, more than an ordinary t-shirt bra but less than one that's designed to be a push-up bra since it gives you a lift but doesn't have any extra padding or anything :smile:
Original post by ranbow99
I want a push up strapless bra as i'm going out tomorrow night and have a new outfit, but when I went to look for one today at Debenhams, they did not give me cleavage at all!

Even ones that were meant to be level 3 extreme boost did nothing, I even tried a strapless wonderbra that was for making cleavage as a last resort (as I can't really afford something that much) but even that didn't do anything. I didn't actually see any ones saying push up, just plunge and balcony, but would have thought they'd give some boost. I'm a 34DD so I don't really need any help on making them look any bigger haha, just some sort of push up and cleavage would be nice.

Does anyone know of any shops that sell ones that actually work? Or do I just have weird boobs that won't give me any cleavage :/

I can't get a cleavage with a strapless bra either and I'm an E cup :/

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think in order to get a cleavage you need to be wearing a bra which is too small anyway. A well-fitting bra is meant to separate the breasts into the cup, not push them together, as the centre of the bra is meant to lay flat between your boobs.

Oddly enough, I'm a 30E bra size yet wear a 32D strapless bra and the latter gives me a slight cleavage but not one which is particularly flattering. I don't think strapless bras are very good at making cleavages, not in my experience anyway :/
My respect for M&S came flooding back after ordering a 30E bra which is a near perfect fit :biggrin: definitely going to be ordering some more.

However, I still wouldn't recommend their fitting service as they've consistently measured me the wrong size. I measured myself and get far better results without having to add 4 or 5 inches to me; subtracting the Band size from the Cup size.

Band size = 30
Cup size = 36
Bra size = 30E :smile:

^ I find it to be a much better way of measuring yourself.

1 = A
2 = B
3 = C
4 = D
5 = DD
6 = E
7 = F
and so on (:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jabberwox
I can't get a cleavage with a strapless bra either and I'm an E cup :/

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think in order to get a cleavage you need to be wearing a bra which is too small anyway. A well-fitting bra is meant to separate the breasts into the cup, not push them together, as the centre of the bra is meant to lay flat between your boobs.

Oddly enough, I'm a 30E bra size yet wear a 32D strapless bra and the latter gives me a slight cleavage but not one which is particularly flattering. I don't think strapless bras are very good at making cleavages, not in my experience anyway :/

Hmm yeah I find other push up bras i've found that do have straps give me a slight cleavage, but as soon as I put the straps down/take them off it goes away :/
Hi there, i know there's a lot of posts here about the lack of bras for bigger cup sizes but i'm really struggling to find nice, sexy, YOUNG looking bigger bras. Most of the fuller bust bras lack shape and have full cups, which don't exactly make you feel 20 years old.

This all started because i got measured the other day and discovered i'm actually a 30F (sounds absolutely ridiculous, i had been wearing 32DD). After endlessly looking on the web at DD+ bras i've realised many of these brands simply put a pretty pattern on their bras and think that makes them sexy. i have found a few brands such as Fauve but they're very expensive, does anybody know of any cheaper brands similar to this?

What i essentially want is proper half-cup bras for bigger busts, as i have many items of clothing that bras like this would simply pop out the top of!

Can anybody help me??
Original post by Lucibell
Hi there, i know there's a lot of posts here about the lack of bras for bigger cup sizes but i'm really struggling to find nice, sexy, YOUNG looking bigger bras. Most of the fuller bust bras lack shape and have full cups, which don't exactly make you feel 20 years old.

This all started because i got measured the other day and discovered i'm actually a 30F (sounds absolutely ridiculous, i had been wearing 32DD). After endlessly looking on the web at DD+ bras i've realised many of these brands simply put a pretty pattern on their bras and think that makes them sexy. i have found a few brands such as Fauve but they're very expensive, does anybody know of any cheaper brands similar to this?

What i essentially want is proper half-cup bras for bigger busts, as i have many items of clothing that bras like this would simply pop out the top of!

Can anybody help me??

I had the same problem as you, was wearing 36E, knew I'd changed, was re-measured at a 32FF...bought a 32G bra the other day. Every time I go shopping the bras a rediculously flimsy and tacky, or aren't suitable for my clothes...I find quite a lot of nice bras on figleaves though (or a local outlet, but they're not online!) try looking at the balconette bras on there, I've just seen some nice ones.
The problem is that bras are made for support (or they're meant to be!) and half-cup bras can't offer the amount of support bigger busts need! Whenever I get measured I tend to tell the person measuring me that I want something pretty and not granny-like and they'll do exactly that! Biggest recommendation is find a good shop (don't have to be chain stores, smaller lingerie shops are sometimes better!) where you can talk to the staff!

Good luck!
Reply 1986
Original post by Lucibell

Can anybody help me??

I can't see the Debenhams bra you linked to, but their Gorgeous balcony bras (The ones that are £14-£18) fit really well IMO, they're my usual day-to-day bra. I'm a 28FF/30F and I hate full-cup bras too. Check out Curvy Kate on Amazon! I would recommend going at least 1 cup size up depending on the style though - I found that a 28G in the 'Elegance' style fit OK, but I was a 28GG in the 'Tempt Me'. Order a few sizes and send back whatever doesn't fit. They're always on sale on Brastop too but they don't do free delivery/returns so it might be more of a pain to figure out what size you are.
Does how you put your bra on affect how it feels?

I've been told the correct way of putting a bra on is putting your hands through straps, encasing boobs and doing it up on the back. I've always fastened the hooks, twisted it round and THEN put the boobs in cups which is wrong apparently.

Also does most of the support come from the back band rather than the front? Because sometimes I feel like it's the front part which is trying to hold me up despite being quite a snug fit.

Cheers.
Original post by Jabberwox
Does how you put your bra on affect how it feels?

I've been told the correct way of putting a bra on is putting your hands through straps, encasing boobs and doing it up on the back. I've always fastened the hooks, twisted it round and THEN put the boobs in cups which is wrong apparently.

Also does most of the support come from the back band rather than the front? Because sometimes I feel like it's the front part which is trying to hold me up despite being quite a snug fit.

Cheers.

i've seen my friends do it your way... and i don't get it... it just looks really weird... i put my arms in and boobs in then do up the hooks at the back... i really just do not GET the whole doing up the the hooks first and twisting it round thing! where did you even learn that?
Original post by Bellissima
i've seen my friends do it your way... and i don't get it... it just looks really weird... i put my arms in and boobs in then do up the hooks at the back... i really just do not GET the whole doing up the the hooks first and twisting it round thing! where did you even learn that?

It's just easier I suppose and it's how I've always done it :dontknow:

I can't do hooks up at the back, it takes me forever :tongue:
Reply 1990
Original post by Bellissima

I do the twisty thing too. I kinda learned it from my mum, I just copied her and thought it was the done thing. I can never seem to do the hooks up at the back, my boyfriend has a bad habit of undoing it and I spend ages trying to get it back on!
Reply 1991
Anybody who is a graduate or has only a year to go having done a course in any lingerie related area and is interested to be part of a start up lingerie line ( co-develop it) get in touch for other details. Like who? what? where? finances? setup? etc,. cheers.
Reply 1992
I've been having a read through this thread because for a while now I suspect I've been wearing the wrong bra size. Most of my bras are a 34C, but some of them ride up the back and I have to adjust the straps to get the lift I want. I know in the old system you measured under the bust and added on 4 if it was even or 5 if it was odd, but this is now inaccurate and according to the new measuring system you just measure under the bust and over the bust and the difference tells you the bust size? Is that right? I have an under bust measurement of 29, so does that mean I'm a 28 or a 30 band size? And an over bust measurement of 35. So confused! So what cup size would you reckon I am?

Also in Northern Ireland we don't have John Lewis or Bravissimo, where else would you recommend getting fitted? Is Debenhams good? I generally like their range of underwear better than the likes of La Senza or M&S.

Any help on this would be fab!
Reply 1993
Original post by motoe
I've been having a read through this thread because for a while now I suspect I've been wearing the wrong bra size. Most of my bras are a 34C, but some of them ride up the back and I have to adjust the straps to get the lift I want. I know in the old system you measured under the bust and added on 4 if it was even or 5 if it was odd, but this is now inaccurate and according to the new measuring system you just measure under the bust and over the bust and the difference tells you the bust size? Is that right? I have an under bust measurement of 29, so does that mean I'm a 28 or a 30 band size? And an over bust measurement of 35. So confused! So what cup size would you reckon I am?

Also in Northern Ireland we don't have John Lewis or Bravissimo, where else would you recommend getting fitted? Is Debenhams good? I generally like their range of underwear better than the likes of La Senza or M&S.

Any help on this would be fab!

My underbust measurement is about 29", and the biggest I ever seem to measure my overbust is 33-34". I wear a 28FF or 30F depending on the brand (28GG in Curvy Kate haha, they come up very small). I would say you're definitely wearing the wrong size! Even people with the same measurements find that different sizes fit them though, because people carry the weight in different areas - depends how perky you are, if your boobs sit towards the centre or to the side a bit, if they're bottom-heavy, etc. Debenhams are pretty good for bras, although I can't remember what they were like for fittings. I prefer just figuring it out myself and trying on loads of different sizes until I find a good fit. They have a fairly good affordable range of 28/30 back bras which fit me perfectly and are great everyday bras. I think they're £14-£16 and usually have free knickers as an offer too :smile: La Senza are rubbish IMO and my local store certainly has a crap range of D+ sizes now (basically nothing). M&S measured me waayyyy off last time I was there. I'd avoid both.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1994
Thanks for the advice Kate! Seems like I'm definitely wearing the wrong size if you're a 28FF / 30F and my over bust measurement is bigger! Will definitely take your advice and just try on lots of different styles! Haha, last time I got measured in Marks and Spencer they tried to tell me I was a 34B!
Right I've run out of places to buy underwear :frown: I'm a 30B and literally NOWHERE stocks that size. The la senza where I used to live was great as it had lots of bras for under a tenner, but I've just moved back to uni and the one here is weirdly expensive with all the bras £30+...not really sure how that works but oh well! I am not prepared to pay extortionate amounts of money for a tiny bra when people who are 32/34 backs can pick one up in primark for a fiver! it's not fair! The only other shops that even do 30 backs where I live are M&S (expensive), debenhams (expensive/sale bras are okay but not very nice) and peacocks (very occasionally). I wish I could get pretty bras from h&m/new look/topshop :frown:
Reply 1996
28 bax.
Reply 1997
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Right I've run out of places to buy underwear :frown: I'm a 30B and literally NOWHERE stocks that size. The la senza where I used to live was great as it had lots of bras for under a tenner, but I've just moved back to uni and the one here is weirdly expensive with all the bras £30+...not really sure how that works but oh well! I am not prepared to pay extortionate amounts of money for a tiny bra when people who are 32/34 backs can pick one up in primark for a fiver! it's not fair! The only other shops that even do 30 backs where I live are M&S (expensive), debenhams (expensive/sale bras are okay but not very nice) and peacocks (very occasionally). I wish I could get pretty bras from h&m/new look/topshop :frown:

They don't do 32D :frown: I trawled their bra department for ages the other day trying to find a cheap black bra but they didn't have my size :frown:
Reply 1998

Amazon have quite a few bras in stock usually. You can get great bargains on eBay. Then there's BraStop.com (only con is that returns aren't free which puts me off buying things unless I'm 99% sure I'll love them!) and Figleaves.com (expensive now though, they don't seem to have good sales like they used to). If you try on the expensive brands (e.g. Freya, Wonderbra, etc) in Debenhams and figure out what size fits you in each of them - sometimes it might vary - then just keep an eye on the sales on various online bra sellers and you'll probably grab some bargains eventually!

Trust me, there are farrr more awkward/hard-to-find sizes than a 30B haha.
Reply 1999

I always turn to ebay for bras. I'm supposed to be a 26D, but wear 28C cause that's a less impossible size to find! I have never ever seen a 28C in a shop so I'll always search ebay and find people selling ones from M&S (mainly for my size) and other places a lot cheaper than they'd be in the shops. Even then, it's still frustrating, cause it'll be a lot of kiddie bras that come up for my size, so on the off chance I see a nice decent bra I'll buy it straight away!

Quick Reply

Latest