The Student Room Group

Why does the British media keep going on about one yank kidnapped in Somalia?

There are currently roughly 200 people being held captive by Somalia pirates off the coast of Somalia, and yet, an American ship gets highjacked and the British media can't stop going on about it, they follow the story closely, fly reporters out to America, and were desparate to interview his family members. And once he was released, they're going on about it even more, showing his speech once he'd landed back in the US, etc.

However, when other European nations get highjacked, why does the British media not give two *****? French ships often get highjacket, and the French Military is frequently involved in opporations to attempt to rescue these people, and yet the British media doesn't give a toss about that.

Why is 1 bloke 3000 miles across the atlantic matter so much, and yet we don't give a **** about people 20 miles across the channel? It really doesn't make sense, the bias make me absolutely sick.
Reply 1
Dunno, there was probably more of a story in the whole giving-his-freedom-for-his-crews-freedom that made editorial panels up and down the country well up. Also he tried to escape - which is exciting. AND the pirates got sniped in the head to end the situation. All pretty thrilling stuff - don't you think? What do you expect?

'Newsflash 200 people are still being kept in secret locations along the Somalian coast...'
burninginme
There are currently roughly 200 people being held captive by Somalia pirates off the coast of Somalia, and yet, an American ship gets highjacked and the British media can't stop going on about it

One dead in London=ten dead in Prague=100 dead in Durban=500 dead in Iraq
Reply 3
So they can get America's dick further up their arse.
Reply 4
the clue is in the title.
I would agree with you but if America decide to retaliate Britain is likely to be dragged into it :sadnod:
because they're the media, they live off this stuff
TO: burningme
RE: usage of the word 'yank'
MESSAGE IS AS FOLLOWS:

we are not in the 1940s anymore STOP.
Reply 8
Well think about it this way

we are covering a story about an american being kidnapped

while america covers the story of susan boyle off of britains got talent

its a a fair trade imo :awesome:
Reply 9
A is for Awesome
RE: usage of the word 'yank'
MESSAGE IS AS FOLLOWS:

we are not in the 1940s anymore STOP.

I can say what I bloody well want, you yellow-bellied liberal. Not to mention, the American media constantly refers to us as the "Brits", in a condecending, little brother type manner.
Reply 10
Yusuf.T
Well think about it this way

we are covering a story about an american being kidnapped

while america covers the story of susan boyle off of britains got talent

its a a fair trade imo :awesome:

:laugh:
burninginme
I can say what I bloody well want, you yellow-bellied liberal. Not to mention, the American media constantly refers to us as the "Brits", in a condecending, little brother type manner.

RE: yellow-bellied liberal

MESSAGE IS AS FOLLOWS:
Good one. I look forward to the next 'burningme's daily bitch and whine about crap whilst making constant references to how much he hates liberals' thread.

I await your response, probably pertaining to me being a liberal and how much you hate liberals, with avid expectations.

Latest

Trending

Trending