The Student Room Group

TSR Radiohead Society : Fake plastic thread

Raison d'etre: To stop me posting a b o u t radio:head in e v e r y other thread.

Place to discuss previous albums/singles/lyrics (what do they mean? not all are clear!)

A chance to belong to another society.A chance to be smug about just how GOOD your taste in music is.

I assume all I need do is post a thread here to start the soc up...no need to tell the authorities

Members

Boney Kings of Nowhere (250 +)

Karma Police (100+):

Phonicsdude 201

Optimists (50-99):

steerpike 62

In Limbo - Amensiacs (26-49)

englishstudent 48
clockworkapples 36

There There(6-25):

covered farm wagon 17
killerbee 16
2 + 2 = 5 13
*beth* 13
arkbar 6
PinkPigeon 6

Idioteques(0-5 posts):

zoraster 3
Mr Fulton 1
feef 1
ludivine 1
yo-less 1
bikerx23 0
emily87 0
esquire 0
hybridchild 0
root 0
rainy 0
sweet adeline 0

Total logo holders: 21

Antimembers (Creeps):
1) Iluvatar
2) naivesincerity
3) veryjammy

Scroll to see replies

Good plan, I take it this is just a stick-it-in-you-sig job rather than a 2000 word application letter to you? :p: *goes away and listens to Radiohead a little bit*

Oh and they came top of that 100 Best Albums chart!
Reply 2
Can i join?

little radiohead info nugget :smile:

Exit Music for a film is obviously about romeo and Juillet.
However did you know what when thom had the idea for the song he wanted it to be made of lines from the said play.

But it was too hard so they gave up. :biggrin:
Reply 3
I'll join :smile:. That should guarantee 'coolness' on this thread :smile:.
Reply 4
KidA
Can i join?

little radiohead info nugget :smile:

Exit Music for a film is obviously about romeo and Juillet.
However did you know what when thom had the idea for the song he wanted it to be made of lines from the said play.

But it was too hard so they gave up. :biggrin:

And Talk Show Host was used in the film? :smile:

All the time there isn't an election, the lyrics in my sig are Radiohead (but usually v.obscure...)
2 5 +
And Talk Show Host was used in the film? :smile:

Yeah, whenever I listen to it I always get the lyrics wrong for a spilt second.

It goes: "You want me? Well fu**ing well come and find me. I'll be waiting with a gun and a pack of sandwiches"

I always think "pack of cigarettes" would somehow fit better. :confused:

As a mere mortal I am not going to question them however.
Reply 6
englishstudent
Yeah, whenever I listen to it I always get the lyrics wrong for a spilt second.

It goes: "You want me? Well fu**ing well come and find me. I'll be waiting with a gun and a pack of sandwiches"

I always think "pack of cigarettes" would somehow fit better. :confused:

As a mere mortal I am not going to question them however.

:eek:. That's the best bit of the whole song!! They couldn't change that. That line is absolutely f*cking genius.

Reminds me of a guy my dad used to work with who was a crazy paranoid guy who still lived with his mum...at 30.
Reply 7
englishstudent

probably my favourite radiohead line IN THE WORLD EVER!!!
Reply 8
Would love to join. Radiohead are the ultimate band.

Without a doubt thebest ever line. What a tune.
Reply 9
kingslaw
I'll join :smile:. That should guarantee 'coolness' on this thread :smile:.

:rolleyes: Radiohead is enough to guarantee coolness!

To join it is, of course, just a sig job. [ my sig has a radiohead or a kingslaw quote.

As for the all round best lyric its between Fake plastic trees, black star or idioteque ("women and children first ... laugh until my head falls off!")
Amazing band, doesn't really need to be said but meh.

I'll join ta! :smile:
Reply 11
Radiohead are without a doubt my favorite band. I have never seen them live though :frown: Do you think they will ever tour again? Have any of you guys ever seen them live?
Reply 12
Ricci
Radiohead are without a doubt my favorite band. I have never seen them live though :frown: Do you think they will ever tour again? Have any of you guys ever seen them live?

yeah, they'll tour when their next album comes out i except. :smile:

i've seen them, but it was in an arena right at the back, i indend on seeing them again, as although it was the best concert i've ever been to, i want to see them in a proper venue.

Hehe.

Even got some Mark Knopfler in there! Quality. But Radiohead are in the lead by just a little bit huh. :p:
Only a little bit :wink:

I like most of my musical tastes, I'm a bit embarassed by my affair with Chesney Hawkes this week, but I had that song stuck in my head, downloaded it and listened to it for a few time :wink:

Knopfler is my god, well, one of them, Dire straits was great.

Have you heard the album he did with Chet Atkins? If you haven't, I'd recommend, Neck and Neck its called. Great stuff.
Dero

Have you heard the album he did with Chet Atkins? If you haven't, I'd recommend, Neck and Neck its called. Great stuff.

Haven't got it, I really should though. Am listening to Sailing to Philly at the moment. I've seen him twice in London - he's still the man. Dire Straits, they're just quality. And under-rated too. You don't get much better guitar than Mark Knopfler. But I should stop hijacking the thread. Radiohead woooo!
Reply 17
OK, OK. So we've got ourselves an official Radiohead thread now. So now we should act like real Radiohead fans and discuss the deep, poetic imagery in the lyrics and in what way we believe the words are reflecting Thom's fragile state of mind.

Either that or we could just discuss which one's the hottest. My vote goes to Jonny :smile:.
kingslaw
OK, OK. So we've got ourselves an official Radiohead thread now. So now we should act like real Radiohead fans and discuss the deep, poetic imagery in the lyrics and in what way we believe the words are reflecting Thom's fragile state of mind.

Either that or we could just discuss which one's the hottest. My vote goes to Jonny :smile:.

Gotta respect thom's face, <3
Reply 19
kingslaw

Black Star
i get home from work and you're still standing in your dressing gown
well what am i to do?
i know all the things around your head and what they do to you.
what are we coming to?
what are we gonna do?

blame it on the black star
blame it on the falling sky
blame it on the satellite that beams me home.

the troubled words of a troubled mind i try to understand what is eating you.
i try to stay awake but its 58hours since that i last slept with you.
what are we coming to?
i just don't know anymore.

i get on the train and i just stand about now that i don't think of you.
i keep falling over i keep passing out when i see a face like you.
what am i coming to?
i'm gonna melt down

Why? This is killing me
Why? This is killing me

My interpretation (Verse by verse)

Woman at home all day with "things around her head": sounds like depression or drugs. Thom's partner has some sort of problem anyway which needs treatment. The last two lines show that the relationship is failing but Thom doesn't know how to fix it.

The chorus is the most difficult bit - help needed. I will not hide away from the challenge! The black star is something big but invisible - the cause of the breakdown? The falling sky sounds apocalyptic. why is he blaming it though? Is the the sattelite that revolves around this woman? Blame it, therefore, on his blind love for you: perhaps he feels he is stupid for standing by her. If that is correct, why would the sattelite beam him home? There is a general theme of 'the heavens' and extra terrestrial things: "sattelite", "black star", "sky". Perhaps this signals a lack of control over the situation.

In the second verse he is trying to make an effort to find out "what's eating you", and answer the question posed at the end of the first verse. Perhaps Thom's touring with radiohead is part of the problem: "It's 58 hrs since that I last slept with you." He is still desperate to find out what the future holds for them: he is clueless as to what the future holds.

The third verse is the most sentimental. The relationship has ended. It is the most simple part of the song. It is not longer "we", but "What am I coming to?" He is "gonna melt down". He wishes he was stillwith her, even though he realises the situation is untenable.

If anyone can clarify bits I didnt understand (chorus), thinks I got it wrong or would like to add anything, feel free to do so.

Once discussion on this has died down, then someone else can do another song of your choice, saying ANYTHING about it: explanation of lyrics, background of song etc.

Oh, and Ed is the sexiest!

Quick Reply

Latest