The Student Room Group

gandhi and saddam

I've been watching a lot of political documentaries recently and it seems that if you look at the world today, leaders who we see via the media as the 'good' or 'bad' guy generally share the same troubles.

If you look at these two for example you see how similar they really are in terms of national issues rather than character and personal choices. both sought to rid their nation of the western control and unite diversity.

do you agree about Gandhi and Saddam Hussein?

And my apologies if this is the wrong forum to post in.
Cant believe you are comparing them 2, your a joke
rather than uniting, i meant leading diversity i.e indian subcontinent and iraqi tribes and kurds. despite the atrocities.

and this comparison isn't a joke.
Due to idealized images of Ghandi propagated in Anglo amerikan media, and horrific images of Saddam in the same media, posters here find the analogy revolting.

While it's true that Saddam was no saint and a brutal secular dictator, Ghandi had his fair share of faults. And no I am not talking about his penchant for drinking his own urine daily; rather, I am talking of his failures to unite all the diverse groups in the asian subcontinent or even to think africans are somehow below par.
Reply 4
both have opposite personalities....
Reply 5
Apart from the fact that one of them advocated peaceful protest, and the other was a dictatorial piece of **** that murdered his own people by the thousands?
Reply 6
I see your point(original post).

I'm not sure it is exactly correct, but I do agree in a perverse sort of way. Saddam was a 'bad guy' sure, oppressing certain sections of society. Gandhi was no different, he was born into a high caste and he was unwilling to promote the rights of the Dalits(low caste), its well documented and even today untouchables are unwilling to surrender themselves to the popular image of the man.
So in a sense, they were(sort of) similar.
Reply 7
This has to be a joke. Please say so man.
Reply 8
Saddam supressed 80% of the population.
You made a TSR account and the first thing you did was make a thread about the similarities between Saddam Hussein and Gandhi?

Am I the only one not getting this?
We should ask the Kurds.

Latest

Trending

Trending