The Student Room Group

AS Student really worrying about wanting to do French and Spanish at uni

Im currently in year 12 studying : French, Spanish, Music and Literature
im predicted A B C C respectively but i have been working at A B C B for AS
i really enjoy languages and they aare what i want to do for uni but im sceptical s i dont think i am or ever will be good enough to hopefully become fluent in french and maybe spanish. Im much more competent with french and spanish is a close second.

Everywhere i have looked for courses want AAB or ABB and i dont know if besides french and spanish i can get above a B grade if im lucky. My teachers say if i work i can get high grades in french and spanish but i dont know if that will get me a good uni.

Does anyone have any comments on French and Spanish courses at any universities or any advice on how to do well or find a good university?

Thank you very much x
Reply 1
hiya :smile:

please please please don't worry, or stress yourself out at getting high grades to be able to apply for decent unis. For modern languages, there are tons of decent unis out there that actually have relatively low requirements for languages. If you're aiming for ABBC at AS, then presumably ABB at A2 that actually gives you an extremely wide range of unis to apply to. off the top of my head: birmingham, leeds, exeter, kcl, manchester, southampton, queens belfast, sheffield and so on. all of those are very good universities with top notch language courses.

also, have you thought about doing an ab initio language? It seems you're far more into french than you are spanish so you could possibly take spanish to a2 and then pick a language like italian, portuguese or german or even something as exotic as chinese, japanese, russian or arabic. there are so many options out there for languages! also, single honours languages tend to have relatively low entrance requirements. e.g. Bristol single honours French is something like BBB?

have confidence in yourself :smile: good luck!
Reply 2
So if you're looking at at least BBC to ABB, that gives you lots of choice!

I looked some up on the UCAS site (French and Spanish):

Aberystwyth University (260 points)
Bangor University (240 - 260 points)
University of the West of England, Bristol (240 - 300 points)
Cardiff University - GCE/AS level grade range (ABC)
University of Chester (240 points)
Coventry University (240 - 260 points)

These are just some examples but I converted 260 points and that's only BCC. Languages courses are very undersubscribed.
Aston Uni tends to be BBC if that helps
Reply 4
Thanks for all the advice, at the moment the unis that have caught my eye are:

St andrews (french and spanish)
Leeds (french and spanish)
Leicester (french and spanish)
Kings College (French or French and hispanic studies)

Lots of plaes do french and hispanic studies but im not very keen on portugese although it would probably help to be honest.

Im just getting worried about whether to do french and spanish or to maybe go for a third subject such as international relations but does anyone do this?

Would the levels of study be compromising or daunting?

thanks for all the help so far
hydra6001
Thanks for all the advice, at the moment the unis that have caught my eye are:

St andrews (french and spanish)
Leeds (french and spanish)
Leicester (french and spanish)
Kings College (French or French and hispanic studies)

Lots of plaes do french and hispanic studies but im not very keen on portugese although it would probably help to be honest.

Im just getting worried about whether to do french and spanish or to maybe go for a third subject such as international relations but does anyone do this?

Would the levels of study be compromising or daunting?

thanks for all the help so far

When I applied to unis (6years ago now nearly) I remember getting offers that were lower than the prospectus said! It depends on how much you sell yourself in your personal statement & of course, how much they want you!

I did Spanish & Portuguese at uni (Sheffield) and really enjoyed it loads, but think that if I were to do it all over again, I'd want to do another, non-language subject along side it...
Reply 6
Sheffield is one thats been recommended to me by people at work and it does look pretty good in the prospectus and from what they say and just seeing the lists of modules really interests me as theres so many interesting ones, im just wondering if they are taught in english apart from the language moduals?

Its all seeming a lot less scary now but its now we have to wait until results day and i havnt yet started my personal statement :s
hydra6001
Sheffield is one thats been recommended to me by people at work and it does look pretty good in the prospectus and from what they say and just seeing the lists of modules really interests me as theres so many interesting ones, im just wondering if they are taught in english apart from the language moduals?

Its all seeming a lot less scary now but its now we have to wait until results day and i havnt yet started my personal statement :s

I went to Sheffield!!! Yehhhhhhh it's the best! :p:

Some of the modules are taught in English, some in the target language and in some others the tutors ask for preferences.
Reply 8
Sheffield looks very good, its a city campus which i don't really mind, is the student accomodation good? i went to a univerities convention and a talk on modern languages and it has me hooked on languages and now im curious about taking internatiional relations maybe or some moduals to go into that field
Reply 9
I have an offer for French and Spanish in University of Ulster Coleraine - CC - its a highly renowned course and the pass levels are very impressive - i am actually starting spanish from scratch which most universitys will allow you to do. Don't be stressing all i can tell you is to work hard at ur languages during AS as then you will be under less pressure at A2. I wish I had done this. Languages at A-Level need a lot of commitment so do not take on too many a-levels just for the sake of it. Please enjoy ur languages anad good luck, you sound passionate enough about them so use that to fuel your studying and you will be fine and will do very well at university. :smile::smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending