The Student Room Group

Retake A levels or continue with first year

I’m stuck on whether to resit the year or continue to Uni. My grades are a CDD, the D’s I want to resit in Spanish and Computer Science but I’m not sure I will improve and do better or just waste the year.

Or to start Uni in September for my course Politics and try to do my best and aim for a first honours.

Do you think employers care about these grades after your degree? Do you think I should go Uni and get as much experience in the field possible to make my applications look better? Also is it a must to put your A level grades on your job application after earning a degree?
Hey @anonymous_1224 - I understand why this is a difficult decision for you. Whilst I cannot tell you what to do, I hope this helps a bit.

I didn't meet my expectations when it came to A level results day, to be honest with you. However, I was lucky and I got a place at my dream university on my dream course. I literally couldn't believe it. I remember my first day even now, I was totally elated. Fast forward a year and I've dropped out due to horrendous mental health, I never went back.

I studied the following A/AS levels: Psychology AS, Psychology AL, French, Spanish, English Lit - I went to university and studied French. Then I dropped out after just a year. 5 years later, I work in a technology company in London in software engineering. Not once in my career have I ever been asked for my grades. I've never put them on my CV and it's never had any impact on job applications. I can't promise the same for you, but the way I see it: GCSEs, A levels, degrees - they're all just stepping stones to the next thing. Once you've hopped from one stone to the next, the other one doesn't matter as much as it used to. That's certainly what I've found myself.

I can't answer your question directly, but I think you should do whatever is going to make you happiest. There isn't a wrong answer, it's what you would be happier with. I hope my experience at least gives you some context around your worries with later life post-uni. Best of luck :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
From what I’ve heard, A Level results aren’t important after applying to Uni. When you’re in university and after you’ve graduated the only thing places are concerned about is your degree and your capability there rather than your A Levels. However if you feel you could do better if you resat then go for it 👍👍
Hi!
I'm one of the student ambassadors here at Coventry University.
Given the post, you can still get into university given your post?
This is entirely your choice, however if you are able to get into university with your grades, rest assured you will have the help that you need in university if you need it.
As you said, you're unsure if you will waste the year, but it's entirely up to you. If you really want to improve your grades, then I say go for it.
BUT, if you do decide to go to university, again you will not be alone and people will be there to help you achieve the best that you can.
Whichever decision you make, I'm sure it'll be the right move for you.

Kind regards,
Courtney H
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending