The Student Room Group

For the Girls - Toning, Diet and Excercise a very basic guide - Please read!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Skeleton Bob
do not take paracetamol, ffs, what awful advice.

All you've done is strain a muscle,just make sure to stretch your legs and most of all rest them, that's all it needs, not drugs

Yes, because paracetamol is teh devilz.

She hasn't strained anything, it's DOMS. Just some initial soreness from starting a new more intense exercise. She can either, wait a week until the pain goes, then lift again. But then she's had another week off and so she can still get pretty sore the 2nd time (not as much as the first time though).

Or she can just take something to take the edge off the pain, enough so she can lift again in a day and work through the pain. This will facilitate and speedier recovery, allowing her to train harder and get more work done sooner. It's only for a couple of days, and they won't be necessary after that.
advising a beginner to take drugs after they feel their muscles aching after a workout...scary

aches, strains and pulls is your body telling you to slow down, and you telling novices to take drugs and to train through them,just scary

she just needs to rest them, do very light exercise and when they recover, do the exercise again. In time she will notice them getting stronger and will no longer need long recovery times.

Your attitude is the one i see a lot, people who want to take short cuts. There are no short cuts to success.
Reply 222
Skeleton Bob IV
advising a beginner to take drugs after they feel their muscles aching after a workout...scary

aches, strains and pulls is your body telling you to slow down, and you telling novices to take drugs and to train through them,just scary

she just needs to rest them, do very light exercise and when they recover, do the exercise again. In time she will notice them getting stronger and will no longer need long recovery times.

Your attitude is the one i see a lot, people who want to take short cuts. There are no short cuts to success.

Ibuprofen isn't a shortcut.
Reply 223
Skeleton Bob IV

You're repeatedly proving how dumb you are with your posts.

Please explain to me what is 'scary'?

If you knew me at all you'd realise I don't take shortcuts. Neither do I take unnecessary delays. We're not talking about broken leg here. This is plain, ordinary run-of-the-mill DOMS. Everybody gets them in the beginning. They don't mean sh**.

Part of this stuff is knowing when you've got pain that needs to heal, and pain that you can train through. This is pain you can quite happily train through.

Please spend some more time under the bar before spreading your e-pinions so adamantly.
SMed
You're repeatedly proving how dumb you are with your posts.

Please explain to me what is 'scary'?

If you knew me at all you'd realise I don't take shortcuts. Neither do I take unnecessary delays. We're not talking about broken leg here. This is plain, ordinary run-of-the-mill DOMS. Everybody gets them in the beginning. They don't mean sh**.

Part of this stuff is knowing when you've got pain that needs to heal, and pain that you can train through. This is pain you can quite happily train through.

Please spend some more time under the bar before spreading your e-pinions so adamantly.

Is it omega oils you recommend? If so which one? omega 3, or omega 3,6,9 = /
Reply 225
Omega-3. Omega-6 is practically in every thing you eat (fats). Way more than what we're meant to have, and not enough omega-3. So the supplementation is an attempt to restore the balance. If we lived off proper healthy food all the time (nuts, oily fish, grass-fed animals) we wouldn't have to. Modern agricultural animal fat is almost all omega-6.
what is scary is you advising people to take paracetamol to mask pain and then squat

you are total ****** idiot to be honest
Reply 227
Thanks troll, come back when you know what you're talking about. :h:
Reply 228
I was reading somewhere that swimming doesn't help you lose weight, and it quoted a study saying that participants who swam three times a week for 13 weeks had gained 5lbs by the end. Is this TRUE?!

I try to do lane swimming for at least 2 and a half hours a week (I think recommended cardio is 30 minutes 5x a week) on top of weights and classes. I know that any exercise is better than no exercise, but am wondering if it's actually hindering my weight loss aims rather than helping it?

Sorry if this is a really stupid question :o:
Reply 229
Symph
I was reading somewhere that swimming doesn't help you lose weight, and it quoted a study saying that participants who swam three times a week for 13 weeks had gained 5lbs by the end. Is this TRUE?!

I try to do lane swimming for at least 2 and a half hours a week (I think recommended cardio is 30 minutes 5x a week) on top of weights and classes. I know that any exercise is better than no exercise, but am wondering if it's actually hindering my weight loss aims rather than helping it?

Think about it for a minute. Losing weight = calorie deficit.

Calorie deficit = eating less and/or burning calories.

Swimming = burning calories.

Burning calories = DOING ANYTHING WHERE YOU MOVE AROUND A BIT. ANYTHING at all.
Reply 230
Symph

I don't know anything about the study, but maybe the participants weren't actually looking to lose weight, or following a weight loss diet. Exercise (especially swimming, so I've found) can increase your appetite, so they were probably just eating more and negating any calorie deficit created by the exercise.

Otherwise, it doesn't make any sense.

As long as you're watching what you're eating, you shouldn't put on weight. If you are, it's because you're eating too much, not swimming too much!
Reply 231
SMed
Think about it for a minute. Losing weight = calorie deficit.

Calorie deficit = eating less and/or burning calories.

Swimming = burning calories.

Burning calories = DOING ANYTHING WHERE YOU MOVE AROUND A BIT. ANYTHING at all.

Perhaps what I should've said is: Is swimming the best form of exercise to lose weight? And how can I maximise my swimming time to get the best results i.e. should I be doing a particular stroke, or aiming for a certain number of lengths, or doing HIIT? (Though I worry I might drown as a result of the latter.)

It just seemed odd to me that so many websites are saying swimming won't make you thinner, but that is a problem of the internet.
Reply 232
There is no best way for every person. Swimming is a decent way that will save your joints. Whatever you're doing, you need to be working hard. Effort is the limiting factor, not the activity.

Do both interval stuff AND LSD (long slow distance), each have their benefits.
Your advice regarding the painkillers helped a lot, thank you. :h:

One other question I have is regarding eggs. Is there such a thing as having too many eggs? I know there are all the things about cholestrol but how many eggs is too much? Also is it ok to have eggs (boiled of course) and coffee before a work out and how long after should I wait before beginning the work out.

Thank you.
Reply 234
sleekchic
Your advice regarding the painkillers helped a lot, thank you. :h:

One other question I have is regarding eggs. Is there such a thing as having too many eggs? I know there are all the things about cholestrol but how many eggs is too much? Also is it ok to have eggs (boiled of course) and coffee before a work out and how long after should I wait before beginning the work out.

Thank you.

Eggs are fine, if you are tolerant. Some people have some autoimmune issues and can have inflammatory responses to eggs. You'll know. Don't worry about cholesterol, dietary cholesterol has almost no impact on serum blood cholesterol at all. Just make you are getting at least a couple of grams of fish oil each day, or some other omega-3 source. They do omega-3 enriched eggs which are a really good idea, but they can be more expensive than the cheaper eggs.

Coffee is great before a workout. Eggs? Dunno, I suppose it won't hurt. But see how you feel. If you seem to fatigue earlier than you think you should, try getting some carbohydrates before you train. Something starchy you can have an hour or so before hand. Sugary stuff nearer to training time.
Hi, I have a quick question about HIIT. When I'm on the running machine, I tend to alternate between running for three minutes and walking quite quickly for three minutes, while occaisonally walking a little slower or running full-pelt. Does that count as HIIT or do I need to change my three minutes to closer to the 30 seconds that was originally suggested?
SMed
Eggs are fine, if you are tolerant. Some people have some autoimmune issues and can have inflammatory responses to eggs. You'll know. Don't worry about cholesterol, dietary cholesterol has almost no impact on serum blood cholesterol at all. Just make you are getting at least a couple of grams of fish oil each day, or some other omega-3 source. They do omega-3 enriched eggs which are a really good idea, but they can be more expensive than the cheaper eggs.

Coffee is great before a workout. Eggs? Dunno, I suppose it won't hurt. But see how you feel. If you seem to fatigue earlier than you think you should, try getting some carbohydrates before you train. Something starchy you can have an hour or so before hand. Sugary stuff nearer to training time.

Thank you

Final question is about stretches. I know Powerlifter said to do them on rest days, but what exactly should I be doing? I mean what type of stretches.
Reply 237
sleekchic
Thank you

Final question is about stretches. I know Powerlifter said to do them on rest days, but what exactly should I be doing? I mean what type of stretches.

I'm not all that clued up on stretches tbh. I generally just stay as flexible as I need to be. If I'm getting some stiffness or difficulty getting into positions required for my normal activities, then I'll do some specific stretches related to my issue. I'm not sure about general stretching.
SMed
I'm not all that clued up on stretches tbh. I generally just stay as flexible as I need to be. If I'm getting some stiffness or difficulty getting into positions required for my normal activities, then I'll do some specific stretches related to my issue. I'm not sure about general stretching.

Thank you
In relation to the point about taking painkillers and then working out...my doctor has advised me to take ibruprofen AND strap my leg up when I run.... I think I'll wait for my physio to confirm that one! Seems crazy to me.... the painkillers I can understand the point, of me working it harder than I would without, but running with the knee strap?! Surely that'd weaken my muscles further?

Quick Reply

Latest