The Student Room Group

2001 Fiat Punto engine light and loss of power?

I have a 2001 mk2 fiat punto while driving home from college today I noticed the car seemed to have this loss of power it was accelerating slowly and this goes back one or two days ago. I ignored it and continued driving and then I noticed the engine light came on I don't know how long it has been on but I noticed it first today. Got home left the car switched off for a while and then went to switch back on and it took quite a bit to switch on and the engine light is still on and acceleration has got much worse.

I had a little look on the net and apparently it could be something to do with the spark plugs. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this?

I am thinking of taking it in for a check tomorrow or should I call the AA and get them to come and check it out?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Check all your fluid levels FIRST.

I would then do a compression test to see what is what.

If you haven't got a clue what you're doing under the bonnet, check your fluids and take it to someone who does know what they are doing.

FWIW, I was under the impression that the "check engine" light on modern cars was a low oil pressure warning light? I'd make the oil level the first thing you look at!
Reply 2
JC.
Check all your fluid levels FIRST.

I would then do a compression test to see what is what.

If you haven't got a clue what you're doing under the bonnet, check your fluids and take it to someone who does know what they are doing.

FWIW, I was under the impression that the "check engine" light on modern cars was a low oil pressure warning light? I'd make the oil level the first thing you look at!

I don't think it's the fluids, I went to leeds two weeks ago and my dad filled it up with oil, coolant, brake fluid and all of that jazz.

I've found similar descriptions on the net and I think it seems to be spark plugs.
Reply 3
are you sure its not in limp mode?
Reply 4
I'm sure it isn't, however making sure they are all where they are supposed to be and at the right level is the first thing you do when diagnosing an engine fault.

A lot of things can cause a loss of power. HGF, timing, mixture settings, failed injector, knacked TB, Leaky rings, holed pistons.... the list goes on.

You've got to start somewhere. Assuming it's electrical before you've done basic health checks on your engine is a leap too far.
Reply 5
its the ECU refluxing the fuel air mix, thus loss of power.
I am 100% sure on this, I used to work for Fiat as an mehanic. Drain the engine oil, put new oil in and replace the air filter. Then change the lamda sensor and loosen the spark plugs slightly, that will fix it 100% guarnateed.
Reply 6
I'll just take into la garage tomorrow and they'll sort it out, hope it don't cost much
Reply 7
^ ********. You don't 100% know anything without looking at the engine. A vacuum hose dropping off could cause all those faults and would have nothing to do with the ECU.

1) There is NO reason to ever slacken spark plugs off a bit. That's a stupid idea.
2) Randomly changing parts is also a stupid idea.
Reply 8
JC.
I'm sure it isn't,

how can you be sure?
Reply 9
kinglrb
I have a 2001 mk2 fiat punto while driving home from college today I noticed the car seemed to have this loss of power it was accelerating slowly and this goes back one or two days ago. I ignored it and continued driving and then I noticed the engine light came on I don't know how long it has been on but I noticed it first today. Got home left the car switched off for a while and then went to switch back on and it took quite a bit to switch on and the engine light is still on and acceleration has got much worse.

I had a little look on the net and apparently it could be something to do with the spark plugs. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this?

I am thinking of taking it in for a check tomorrow or should I call the AA and get them to come and check it out?

Thanks

I have the exact same type to punto as you and I had a very similar problem to this 2 months ago. Mine started losing a bit of power and I just though it was damp or something so I continued driving the next day and It got even worse.

The car would drive well for about 200m and then it would lose power, the engine stil running but when i put my foot down basically nothing happened.
When I took it to the garage they said that they checked the spark plugs and they were fine and they could see nothing wrong with it. But it happened again and they checked out the fuel pump and they said it was wrecked and I needed a new one.

It cost me £200 in all but it got the car working again.

This might be what is wrong with your car
Reply 10
matt10101
I have the exact same type to punto as you and I had a very similar problem to this 2 months ago. Mine started losing a bit of power and I just though it was damp or something so I continued driving the next day and It got even worse.

The car would drive well for about 200m and then it would lose power, the engine stil running but when i put my foot down basically nothing happened.
When I took it to the garage they said that they checked the spark plugs and they were fine and they could see nothing wrong with it. But it happened again and they checked out the fuel pump and they said it was wrecked and I needed a new one.

It cost me £200 in all but it got the car working again.

This might be what is wrong with your car

This could be it, because I am pretty sure it used up more fuel than usual today.

£200!! I hope this isn't the case.
Reply 11
kinglrb
This could be it, because I am pretty sure it used up more fuel than usual today.

£200!! I hope this isn't the case.

Well It was £120 to get it fixed, but £40 the first time i went to them and they failed to fix it and they drained £40 of petrol when they fixed it.

I'm pretty sure I was conned a wee bit
Reply 12
matt10101
Well It was £120 to get it fixed, but £40 the first time i went to them and they failed to fix it and they drained £40 of petrol when they fixed it.

I'm pretty sure I was conned a wee bit

Ahh thats so unfair and £40 worth of petrol drained!! I got more than 3/4 of a tank right now.
Reply 13
That happened to mine - apparently a common fault on the Punto. It is some electronic thing in the engine cost me £500
Reply 14
Most likely an ignition coil in my opinion. Common fault on Fiats and cost about £40 each.
This EXACT thing happened to me !!!!

I kept ignoring it - hoping it would go away (yes I know - stupid idiot!)

Anyway, going 80MPH in the fast lane on the M1....broke down!!!

Head gasket gone - £600 repair!

Go to a Fiat garage and have it checked ASAP - the longer these things are left...the more they cost!

P.S - after ^^^ happened, I sold the piece of junk.
Reply 16
^^ Why didn't you think to have it looked at sooner.
It probably wasn't a "piece of junk" when the problem first arose. Ignorance made it so.

Problems don't just go away, children! They need to be mended!
When the engine light comes on, it logs a fault code in the ECU. Either take it to a garage where they will read the fault code that it has thrown or buy a cheap fault code reader and find out yourself. Then do some googling with the fault code.
Reply 18
Right so this is what actually happened today. I took the other car to college came back, my neighbour wanted to have a look at the car so I let him. Engine switches on as normal, the light was on he said maybe if we rev the engine really high a few times it would fix it. So he did and the light has gone. The car drives as normal now, as if nothing ever happened, smoother than before even.

I don't know if this is related to the first issue, today for some reason I drove bare foot after it came back to normal and the rubber matt on the floor moved away from its normal position and there seems like a little water pool on the bottom. It rained heavly yesterday and according to the net this is a common problem in fiats. Could this be related? It was definitely normal water, not oil, not screenwash, not collant.. just normal water.

Thanks for the help to all.
Reply 19
possibly some kind of sensor problem has caused the ECU to throw an out of bounds error exception and gone into limp mode. then when it reset itself and found the sensor to be operating in normal range it decided it was safe to run normally.

thats one explanation anyways.

Latest

Trending

Trending