The Student Room Group

MAJOR QUESTION about teacher references

Can I ask a teacher who does not teach me a subject related to the major I want to pursue to be my reference? I am going into law and I am applying through early decision so I need to ask a teacher now. I've asked my guidance counsellor, who is really useless, if I can ask a teacher other than English and Geography...she doesn't know.

I'd like to ask my science teachers or my French teacher....is this recommended? Especially since they are my better subjects and I have better connections with them?
Reply 1
jenna109
Can I ask a teacher who does not teach me a subject related to the major I want to pursue to be my reference? I am going into law and I am applying through early decision so I need to ask a teacher now. I've asked my guidance counsellor, who is really useless, if I can ask a teacher other than English and Geography...she doesn't know.

I'd like to ask my science teachers or my French teacher....is this recommended? Especially since they are my better subjects and I have better connections with them?
I'm not clear whether you are applying through UCAS or in another country? 'Early decision' sounds like the US to me! You can have any teacher you like as your referee for UCAS as long they can comment on your academic performance all round.
Reply 2
Minerva
I'm not clear whether you are applying through UCAS or in another country? 'Early decision' sounds like the US to me! You can have any teacher you like as your referee for UCAS as long they can comment on your academic performance all round.

Oh yes I applying through UCAS but I am an international student. Oh I'm not applying to the US...it's just that the school always talks about it so I got mixed up...I think in the UK it's called the early admission scheme...not sure.

My guidance counsellor said because mine is a competitive direct-entry program, she thinks it woudl be best to choose my English teacher...But my guidance counsellor is very unreliable...are you sure that she is incorrect? Thanks!
Reply 3
jenna109
Oh yes I applying through UCAS but I am an international student. Oh I'm not applying to the US...it's just that the school always talks about it so I got mixed up...I think in the UK it's called the early admission scheme...not sure.
So, even for the UK, it's ok if I don't choose an English or social studies teacher as my reference?
What usually happens here is that an applicants personal tutor writes the reference having consulted with everyone else who teaches you. The personal tutor might not actually teach you at all, in that system!

I'm still confused about the 'early admission' scheme though....
Reply 4
Minerva
What usually happens here is that an applicants personal tutor writes the reference having consulted with everyone else who teaches you. The personal tutor might not actually teach you at all, in that system!

I'm still confused about the 'early admission' scheme though....

I will be applying to Oxford or Cambridge so I'll have to apply earlier than usual...I belive before October 15th. Oh in my school (in Canada), we don't have a personal tutor to write our personal statement, we have to get a teacher for our reference.
Reply 5
jenna109
I will be applying to Oxford or Cambridge so I'll have to apply earlier than usual...I belive before October 15th. Oh in my school (in Canada), we don't have a personal tutor to write our personal statement, we have to get a teacher for our reference.
Ah I see. You can apply anywhere once UCAS opens in September for 2010, but Oxbridge applications do have to be in by 15 October.

In your case, if it's someone who teaches you I doubt if it matters which subject they cover.
My reference was written by my head of 6th form who only met me once, and shouted at me for missing assembly. So, yeah, any teacher can write your reference!
Reply 7
wallflower*
My reference was written by my head of 6th form who only met me once, and shouted at me for missing assembly. So, yeah, any teacher can write your reference!

I was just looking at the requirements for the teacher reference...it stated:

• Past achievement and current activities, with particular reference to subjects relating to the courses for which they are applying

If I don't choose my English teacher, then how can my teacher talk about my other subjects? Although i do write essays in bio, I think it is a bit different...How does it work in UK schools...Does your tutor just address all your academic achievements?

As I am getting a teacher to write this, shoudl I tell her to write how I do academically in all subjects?

It also says:
It is helpful if referees are honest and clear about particular subjects students are having difficulty with. If a low predicted grade is accompanied by a glowing reference it can be difficult to see the relationship between the two. Therefore it is useful if referees are able to say in the reference why a student is achieving this grade, whether a higher grade is within their grasp and whether they have the potential and/or motivation to reach this higher grade. This can help universities and colleges take into account a student's potential as well as their previous performance.

How could my french/bio teacher, if chosen, say what my worst subjects are? Do I tell her what they are, and persuade her that I can improve in that subject....which ironically has nothing to do with her?
Reply 8
Your referee is allowed to - and indeed should - consult with other people who teach you, as I've already said. It is not for you to tell your referee how good or not you are in your subjects. I can't believe that no-one in your school/college has ever applied in the UK before, but I would suggest that you print off the UCAS guidance and give it to your chosen referee. If you aren't confident that s/he can do you justice, why are you wanting him/her to do it?

Latest

Trending

Trending