The Student Room Group

St Dom's Religious Statement and Teacher Reference

Hello, I'm applying to Year 12 at St Dominics Sixth Form College in Harrow for September 2024. I was bit confused on what to write for the statement about Religion and how you are going to support it. The question is: "Please complete a short statement to acknowledge your awareness of the religious nature of the College and how you will be supportive of it." How did people answer this question? This would really help as I don't have many ideas for what to write!

Secondly,With the teacher reference, did St Dom's have a preference as to which teacher they wanted or a slight secret bias towards some teachers (e.g: Core Subject Teachers, Head of Year, Form Tutors) or could it really be any subject teacher? Was it that all they wanted was a good reference or did they actually care about who wrote the application from your current school?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by s1mxxn_9
Hello, I'm applying to Year 12 at St Dominics Sixth Form College in Harrow for September 2024. I was bit confused on what to write for the statement about Religion and how you are going to support it. The question is: "Please complete a short statement to acknowledge your awareness of the religious nature of the College and how you will be supportive of it." How did people answer this question? This would really help as I don't have many ideas for what to write!

Secondly,With the teacher reference, did St Dom's have a preference as to which teacher they wanted or a slight secret bias towards some teachers (e.g: Core Subject Teachers, Head of Year, Form Tutors) or could it really be any subject teacher? Was it that all they wanted was a good reference or did they actually care about who wrote the application from your current school?

Hello,Im applying for next year just like you.For the religious reference I wrote about how I recognise the catholic nature and am ready to support it and also how I support the diverse nature.For reference it’s better to put a teacher that teaches a subject you want to do.For example I applied for further maths maths chem and physics and I put down tge head of maths,also remember to ask them.
What are your predicted grades?my average mock grade is 6.6 and average predicted is 7.5.
Hopefully see you in September
Reply 2
Original post by Harcheung
Hello,Im applying for next year just like you.For the religious reference I wrote about how I recognise the catholic nature and am ready to support it and also how I support the diverse nature.For reference it’s better to put a teacher that teaches a subject you want to do.For example I applied for further maths maths chem and physics and I put down tge head of maths,also remember to ask them.
What are your predicted grades?my average mock grade is 6.6 and average predicted is 7.5.
Hopefully see you in September

Sorry for the late one, was doing mocks n didnt get a notif abt this- Im planning to take Maths, Bio, Econ (Might change Econ to Chem), I haven't got back all of my recent mocks just yet, however my average predicted is 6.7. And in the end I did get the jist about the reference haha. I asked my physics teacher (because she lowkey loves me lmao) but my school didn't allow her to do it so admin did the reference of my entire year for St. Doms (so mad). But hey its okay, waiting for March n I hope I get in. What other schools have u applied to? I've applied to WGGS and Parmiters.
Reply 3
Sorry for the late one, was doing mocks n didnt get a notif abt this- Im planning to take Maths, Bio, Econ (Might change Econ to Chem), I haven't got back all of my recent mocks just yet, however my average predicted is 6.7. And in the end I did get the jist about the reference haha. I asked my physics teacher (because she lowkey loves me lmao) but my school didn't allow her to do it so admin did the reference of my entire year for St. Doms (so mad). But hey its okay, waiting for March n I hope I get in. What other schools have u applied to? I've applied to WGGS and Parmiters.

I did Parmiters and Woodhouse and also St Michaels which is current school.Who does the reference doesn’t even matter,they only confirm your target grade
Reply 4
I did Parmiters and Woodhouse and also St Michaels which is current school.Who does the reference doesn’t even matter,they only confirm your target grade

Oh yeah, WGGS is my current school. Yepp, found that out eventually. How are your mock grades looking because mine are mostly lower than my predicted, honestly gutted. But let's hope I can improve it more.
Reply 5
Oh yeah, WGGS is my current school. Yepp, found that out eventually. How are your mock grades looking because mine are mostly lower than my predicted, honestly gutted. But let's hope I can improve it more.

My wife predicted was way higher than mock
I’ll say mock-predicted
Chinese-9(achieved)
Maths-8-9
Chemistry-8-8
Biology-7-7
Physics-7-8
French-7-9
History-6-7
English lit-4-6
Lang-5-6
RE-5-6
Reply 6
My wife predicted was way higher than mock
I’ll say mock-predicted
Chinese-9(achieved)
Maths-8-9
Chemistry-8-8
Biology-7-7
Physics-7-8
French-7-9
History-6-7
English lit-4-6
Lang-5-6
RE-5-6

Wow, yours genuinely look amazing wtf. People give me 0 hope man my almost all stayed the same or went down. Its so peak bc I don't have any 9's n i got only 2 8's in my mocks (literally everything else is 6s and a 5 which im so mad about). But I hope the real thing goes good for you! Atm im trying out new revision methods to see if they make any impact n let's see how that goes as I'm so mad since my friends who only revised the night and morning before did bettter than I did and I started revising cores around a month before my real mocks. Soo yeahh
Wow, yours genuinely look amazing wtf. People give me 0 hope man my almost all stayed the same or went down. Its so peak bc I don't have any 9's n i got only 2 8's in my mocks (literally everything else is 6s and a 5 which im so mad about). But I hope the real thing goes good for you! Atm im trying out new revision methods to see if they make any impact n let's see how that goes as I'm so mad since my friends who only revised the night and morning before did bettter than I did and I started revising cores around a month before my real mocks. Soo yeahh
For my November mocks I also only got 2 8s without 9s.You can probs improve loads if you find the right revision method.I’ve also heard loads of people who revised the night before and did better,thats pretty bad.
(edited 1 month ago)
Have you got an offer yet,cause this morning I got one for 6.0
Reply 9
Have you got an offer yet,cause this morning I got one for 6.0
Yep, I did- Rejected. Not appealing for an offer though, I think they will completely deny my appeal as I don't have a valid reason why I should be let in. And I was now slightly leaning towards declining because they don't offer 4 A Levels. I think they denied because even though I did meet the grade requirements, I'm not Catholic and the sheer amount of people who applied that are getting better grades than me is a much higher proportion. So yeah. Well done for getting an offer though!
Yep, I did- Rejected. Not appealing for an offer though, I think they will completely deny my appeal as I don't have a valid reason why I should be let in. And I was now slightly leaning towards declining because they don't offer 4 A Levels. I think they denied because even though I did meet the grade requirements, I'm not Catholic and the sheer amount of people who applied that are getting better grades than me is a much higher proportion. So yeah. Well done for getting an offer though!
Thats a shame,have you thought of going on results day?I thought you had a very good chance with your grades.
Reply 11
Thats a shame,have you thought of going on results day?I thought you had a very good chance with your grades.
I might go there on results day, maybe not, depends on what happens closer to the time to be honest. Are you thinking of saying yes to the offer?
I might go there on results day, maybe not, depends on what happens closer to the time to be honest. Are you thinking of saying yes to the offer?
Yes,I already have accepted it,very excited to go there.Ngl,this is the only I actually want to go and maybe Woodhouse,cause Parmiter’s felt like some cult on open day.
Reply 13
Yes,I already have accepted it,very excited to go there.Ngl,this is the only I actually want to go and maybe Woodhouse,cause Parmiter’s felt like some cult on open day.

i think i'll stay at wggs (as long as i get my conditional) and parmiters is my back up lmao
i think i'll stay at wggs (as long as i get my conditional) and parmiters is my back up lmao

Somehow I got rejected from Parmiter’s even though I didn’t enter any grades.So they probs rejected me cause they want to.I got into my main choice but rejected from the backup of my backup.
Reply 15
For the religious statement, just write something sweet and short about how you're looking forward to meeting new people, and are aware that Harrow is very diverse etc. and maybe that you know st Doms is a catholic school and you'll be happy to learn about that ( because you do have to attend a few liturgies a year, and do core RE )

For the teacher reference, they just want a good reference. I really don't think there's any secret bias. Just choose a teacher who knows you well.
Original post by amazz
For the religious statement, just write something sweet and short about how you're looking forward to meeting new people, and are aware that Harrow is very diverse etc. and maybe that you know st Doms is a catholic school and you'll be happy to learn about that ( because you do have to attend a few liturgies a year, and do core RE )
For the teacher reference, they just want a good reference. I really don't think there's any secret bias. Just choose a teacher who knows you well.

Bro you do realise she already got rejected and she applied 2 months ago
Reply 17
Bro you do realise she already got rejected and she applied 2 months ago

HELP 😭 but yeah i did- advice was good but now irrelevant
Reply 18
Somehow I got rejected from Parmiter’s even though I didn’t enter any grades.So they probs rejected me cause they want to.I got into my main choice but rejected from the backup of my backup.

Ohh yeah me too, They said no spaces in the subjects I wanted to do. So i achieved the grades but didn't get the choices i wanted. Loads of people who aren't internal got rejected from there. I'd assume they're giving priority to internals. So now i only have WGGS!! Still haven't sent anything confirming our places and subjects tho....
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Ohh yeah me too, They said no spaces in the subjects I wanted to do. So i achieved the grades but didn't get the choices i wanted. Loads of people who aren't internal got rejected from there. I'd assume they're giving priority to internals. So now i only have WGGS!! Still haven't sent anything confirming our places and subjects tho....

You should go on results day,who wants to wear uniform for sixth form

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending