The Student Room Group

How much of a big deal is 3 years at Sixth Form/College?

...In terms of UCAS applications?

I'm not even sure if I should, the only reason is since I'm confident I'll get AA and then C in English literature -_-

Another reason is since I'm doing so called 'soft' subjects (Applied Business & ICT) - My school has no alternatives such as economics & computing.

I've been looking at certain courses at universities and two in particular; Bsc Information management for business (UCL) and Business Management (KCL) have really gained my interest. Warwick’s BA Law and Business also seems interesting.

Problem is even if I somehow got AAB in AS and as a result got AAB predictions for A2, due to my A level choices I'd probably not receive an offer from any of them...

I was thinking of dropping literature next year and picking up AS maths and maybe 1 more AS. I would then gain the two A2 Levels by the second year and go on to the 3rd year to complete Maths and the other A level to the full A2 stage.

Another alternative would be to apply to somewhere like Aston (which is fairly good anyway) for business management (ABB/ABB) or their Computing for Business course (BBB/BBC).

In summary my question is:

Should I stay an extra year to try and apply to a 'better' university?

Scroll to see replies

I went for 3 years. It was terrible as 1st was GCSEs if it's better subjects it's worth it though!
If you think that that will enhance your chances of getting into a better uni, I think you should go for it. They may look a little more favourably if you have spent your time doing extra a levels to enhance your learning.
go for it

it won't effect your chances as much as not going to sixth form :wink:

you may well still get a place at a top university, even Oxbridge

I wrote something like... "It eventually clicked that academic work was for me, it was my way of expression and success in life, something which, amongst my friends at high-school, was not so apparent. Despite all the dier warnings of my parents and teachers, I laughed in their face".. but it wasn't quite so patently written, I think I mentioned a lack of foresight and an increased awareness for the change I can make to society through academia (lol).

just go for it, it doesn't matter you took an extra year (shows dedication infact)....

gd luck
Reply 4
rhyme master
go for it

it won't effect your chances as much as not going to sixth form :wink:

you may well still get a place at a top university, even Oxbridge

I wrote something like... "It eventually clicked that academic work was for me, it was my way of expression and success in life, something which, amongst my friends at high-school, was not so apparent. Despite all the dier warnings of my parents and teachers, I laughed in their face".. but it wasn't quite so patently written, I think I mentioned a lack of foresight and an increased awareness for the change I can make to society through academia (lol).

just go for it, it doesn't matter you took an extra year (shows dedication infact)....

gd luck

Hm thanks :biggrin:
Reply 5
Astral16
I think you should contact the unis you are interested in and ask for advice. If you didn't have the opportunity to take the 'harder' versions of your subjects they might be willing to take that into account. They will also be able to advise on which subjects they would really prefer, so that if you do decide to go for a third year to add to your A levels you can ensure that it really is worth your while. In principle, the fact that you will be doing a third year for different subjects shouldn't be the problem taking a third year for resits might be at some unis.
I'm taking 3 years now, and as someone else has said make sure you contact the university first, because some will not let you do that (which is what they said to me) but most are ok with it, and some see it as an advantage, as long as you have a good reason and explain it!
Reply 7
Does anybody know if Cambridge are okay with this?
Thank you for the useful information by the way.
Reply 8
I did a third year to increase my uni prospectus ... and it got my a Durham offer :biggrin: ... might have got me an oxbridge offer if I actually applied to them lol

If you are going to do a third year. Do as many subjects to A2 as you can... I am going to finish with 7 A2's and an AEA in physics.
Reply 9
For the more competitive unis it will work against you, but that's not to say you don't stand a chance. I know people at my uni who resat A-levels and they're doing just fine.
Reply 10
What happens if you resit some modules in your Alevels and complete another alevel within the third year to increase your grades from say ABC to AABB?
Reply 11
jabed786
What happens if you resit some modules in your Alevels and complete another alevel within the third year to increase your grades from say ABC to AABB?

The world blows up.

What do you mean what happens?
Reply 12
Astral16
The world blows up.

What do you mean what happens?

I mean, would good unis (redbrick and above) look down upon the applicant for taking 3 years and doing the resits+picking up another alevel.
Only dumb people do 3 years at College.

I could have done my A levels in 1 year really. Only 18 exams
fgbrbrdb
Reply 15
holmes221
Im in the same position as the schools timetables wouldnt allow me to do the subject combination i wanted to, so chose (without being aware) too many soft subjects. Out of interest do you think that your school swayed you towards those subjects with the timetables and such? and not telling you about the fact that those universities you mentioned prefer more traditional subjects?

I knew nothing about 'soft' subjects till I came on TSR. School didn't inform me about anything.
Reply 16
Astral16
I knew nothing about 'soft' subjects till I came on TSR. School didn't inform me about anything.

This was the same for me...annoying isn't it?
I am now maybe taking three years simply because I want History and a language :rolleyes:
Astral16

Do you by chance go to a state school?
Reply 18
holmes221
Do you by chance go to a state school?

Yeah I do.
Reply 19
jabed786

just do more subjects/more work to cover up for the fact that your resitting

Federer Rulz
Only dumb people do 3 years at College.

I could have done my A levels in 1 year really. Only 18 exams

or people who were indecisive about what uni course they wanted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending