The Student Room Group

Newham Collegiate Sixth form

does anyone go NCS? if so please let me know any tips on how to get in, it’s my dream sixth form :/ but i’m not quite sure if i’ll live up to the expectations
Reply 1
Original post by jazmin768
does anyone go NCS? if so please let me know any tips on how to get in, it’s my dream sixth form :/ but i’m not quite sure if i’ll live up to the expectations

Hi Jazmin,

I currently go to the NCS and I’m in year 12 doing biology, chemistry and philosophy.

To give you tips to get in, it’s mostly about the grades.

1) Firstly, check the website of NCS to find out what the grade boundaries are for the subjects you want to take. (Ideally you would want an 8 or 9 in the subject you want to take).

2) Understand what grades you need to get for other subjects in order to get in. For example, to enter you need a minimum grade 7 for maths and english.

3) Understand that you would need a minimum 62 points in your top 8 GCSE grades in order to get in.

Information about the grades is here and on the website:

https://sixthform.london/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/NCS-Entry-Requirements-21-22.pdf

I’m assuming you are doing your GCSE this year.

If NCS are accepting people on the day of the GCSE results, where you have to physically go to the sixth form this year, you want to make sure you go early, because there will be a very big line.

If however, they are accepting people online, then that’s different and might include a personal statement.

Again, check how NCS are recruiting people this year on their website.

To answer your second part, the jump from GCSE to A level is big, but not impossible. If you start working hard early, you will be ahead and will be doing good.

Working hard means:

Being organised
Doing homework properly
Focusing in class
Revising

It’s not possible to ‘always’ do these things, but the more you do it, the more advantage you have.

Living up to the expectation won’t be too hard if you get in. In a few months you will get into a routine and the learning and stuff will seem normal for you.

Hopefully I answered some of your questions.

Reply if you have any other questions you want me to clarify.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Jaan_7
Hi Jazmin,

I currently go to the NCS and I’m in year 12 doing biology, chemistry and philosophy.

1) Firstly, check the website of NCS to find out what the grade boundaries are for the subjects you want to take. (Ideally you would want an 8 or 9 in the subject you want to take).

2) Understand what grades you need to get for other subjects in order to get in. For example, to enter you need a minimum grade 7 for maths and english.

3) Understand that you would need a minimum 62 points in your top 8 GCSE grades in order to get in.

https://sixthform.london/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/NCS-Entry-Requirements-21-22.pdf

If NCS are accepting people on the day of the GCSE results, where you have to physically go to the sixth form this year, you want to make sure you go early, because there will be a very big line.

If however, they are accepting people online, then that’s different and might include a personal statement.

To answer your second part, the jump from GCSE to A level is big, but not impossible. If you start working hard early, you will be ahead and will be doing good.

Working hard means:

Being organised
Doing homework properly
Focusing in class
Revising

It’s not possible to ‘always’ do these things, but the more you do it, the more advantage you have.

Living up to the expectation won’t be too hard if you get in. In a few months you will get into a routine and the learning and stuff will seem normal for you.

YOOOO you go NCS too? Finally I found someone else on this website niiicceeee I’m year 12 too btw
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Huzam001
YOOOO you go NCS too? Finally I found someone else on this website niiicceeee I’m year 12 too btw

Yeah 😂😂

what’s your name ??
Original post by Jaan_7
Yeah 😂😂

what’s your name ??

Lol no way I’m saying my name here.

Why don’t you pm me we can talk there?
Reply 5
Original post by Jaan_7
Hi Jazmin,

Working hard means:

Being organised
Doing homework properly
Focusing in class
Revising

thank you so much for the help, overall have you liked your experience there so far?
Reply 6
Original post by jazmin768
thank you so much for the help, overall have you liked your experience there so far?

No worries, sorry for the late reply.

It’s overall good. With every sixth form journey, there are always ups and downs.

People assume it’s hard to cope with the competitive atmosphere at ncs, but to be honest if you got the grades and got in, you will most likely keep up, and it will feel normal and not competitive at all (only exams will).

If you work hard from the very beginning and stay organised and on top of things from the start, then you can cruise along the whole year without too much stress.
Original post by Jaan_7
Hi Jazmin,

Working hard means:

Being organised
Doing homework properly
Focusing in class
Revising

Hi I'm thinking of applying to NCS however my mock grades are 1 grade lower than the required grade. For example, I need an 8 in maths to study biology and chemistry, however in my mock I received a 7. Is it worth me applying?
Reply 8
Original post by Hussain_ab
Hi I'm thinking of applying to NCS however my mock grades are 1 grade lower than the required grade. For example, I need an 8 in maths to study biology and chemistry, however in my mock I received a 7. Is it worth me applying?

Hi Hussain,

As we know, NCS is highly competitive and many students apply each year round. That's why they have such high entry requirements.

Usually, if you don't meet the entry requirements for the subjects you want to study, chances are you probably won't get through because of the amount of candidates that are applying.

I guess it's up to you whether you want to apply with your predicted grades to NCS. Make sure you apply to colleges with entry requirements that you meet as well. Check out LAE, Brampton and seven kings, these are also really good sixth forms.

I usually emphasise this a lot, it's mostly about the effort the student puts in rather than the college. So make sure you focus and work well in whichever college you go to next year !
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
Hey, i’m applying to the NCS this year. i really want to know about the classroom sizes/ common room/ if there’s lockers because i attended open day and they didn’t mention anything of the sort. Also, how quickly did you make friends/ are the teachers good? Is it really competitive? If you HAD to complain about something about the school what would it be and what’s the atmosphere like? Please someone who goes to The NCS respond- i’m really in two minds about this sixth form 😅
Hi, I saw on their entry requirements for 2023 that you must do ebacc subjects? I only chose comp sci, french and sociology so does this mean I can't go there??
Reply 11
Original post by Maisha_465
Hi, I saw on their entry requirements for 2023 that you must do ebacc subjects? I only chose comp sci, french and sociology so does this mean I can't go there??

nah you ll be fine as long as u have the grades
Reply 12
Would NCS accept someone with a grade 7 in bio chem and maths? The entry requirement says minimum 8-9 but I was 1 mark away from an 8 in chem and 2 marks away from an 8 in maths and 7 marks away from an 8 bio. I am getting them remarked but I'm just afraid it might take long and enrolment has started but I haven't heard anything from them yet.
Reply 13
Original post by Zafirah2
Would NCS accept someone with a grade 7 in bio chem and maths? The entry requirement says minimum 8-9 but I was 1 mark away from an 8 in chem and 2 marks away from an 8 in maths and 7 marks away from an 8 bio. I am getting them remarked but I'm just afraid it might take long and enrolment has started but I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Hi

If you don't meet the grades then unfortunately it will be very unlikely that you will be able to do those subjects. It's because ncs is really competitive and so they only take in those who have the grades. I'd say you rather do the subjects you wanna do and go to a sixth form that offers you what you want
Hello, I have completed my Mathematics IGCSE with a grade of 9, and I will be taking the rest of my GCSE exams in 2024. Will it be an issue to apply with my Mathematics IGCSE qualification?
Reply 15
Email the school to find out or check their website
Reply 16
Original post by sakibbhuiyan
Hello, I have completed my Mathematics IGCSE with a grade of 9, and I will be taking the rest of my GCSE exams in 2024. Will it be an issue to apply with my Mathematics IGCSE qualification?

Email the school to find out or check their website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending