The Student Room Group

OCR LATIN AS (New Syllabus)

Hello, I'm currently attempting to Latin A-level outside of school with a little bit of help from my GCSE Latin teacher. Although I love it, I am finding it quite difficult, especially the Cicero, having no notes to go by really. I would really appreciate it if any of you could share any notes/knowledge you may have, or just give me some guidance before I go into the exam (maybe any useful books/websites?)
Or just use this thread to talk about Latin AS in general :smile:

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
Reply 1
Oh, wow, found one of the few people who do latin at AS. xD

Are you looking for information such as literary devices?
Right now I'm going through 3 chapters per day to get the translation down as well as I can on top of the chapters I have already gone over. I do that for both the Ovid and the Cicero.
Personally I find the Cicero easier than the Ovid. :P However I can see how it can be challenging. Did you do the whole translation yourself?

I use the Hollis book for Ovid and the Gould and Whiteley book for Cicero, although the Hollis book isn't great for Ovid admittedly..I would definately advise the Gould and Whiteley book though!
Reply 2
I too am doing Latin AS on June 3rd (my last exam :woo:!)

I find Cicero by far the hardest (possibly more difficult than language)

I'm going through, learning my translation and background and literary devices...also practising 10 mark questions (the ones at the end of the test which you have to write in the stupidly short time of 10 minutes about the whole of the text (e.g. all of Cicero In Catilinam 1 or Ovid Metamorphoses VIII).

Vocabulary is a nightmare...so much to learn

O tempora o mores!
Reply 3
i've been through in catilinam and i think i've kind of got it now, once you get into it it's actually quite easy to write about and stuff and the translation gets easier every time..
i haven't gone through the ovid as much though, i'm kind of worrying as i have no notes or analysis of the text, i don't really know what sort of things i should know, any ideas?

the cicero unseen is a killer!
i'm actually dreading wednesday, i'm hoping for a miracle :smile:

my whole life has been taken over by latin, it's kind of sad
Reply 4
anyone doing the prose composition bit instead of harder translation??
cicero is slowly killing me
have history day before so bit panicy as not done enough latin
Reply 5
i don't know what to do about the unseen cicero, i'm panicking a lot now.. definitely not done enough work
can any of you think of any moments of humour in ovid? apparently the whole Icarus and Daedalus thing is meant to be funny, but i don't find that humorous in any way.. i think it's so sad!
other than that, the only funny thing i can think of is the stupidity of Scylla

i thought i was confident about the language but i attempted a passage of Caesar this morning and i found it absolutely impossible! i could not be less prepared seriously
Reply 6
aaa111
i don't know what to do about the unseen cicero, i'm panicking a lot now.. definitely not done enough work
can any of you think of any moments of humour in ovid? apparently the whole Icarus and Daedalus thing is meant to be funny, but i don't find that humorous in any way.. i think it's so sad!
other than that, the only funny thing i can think of is the stupidity of Scylla

i thought i was confident about the language but i attempted a passage of Caesar this morning and i found it absolutely impossible! i could not be less prepared seriously

It's quite funny when Icarus flaps his 'bare arms in the air'- its quite a comical image.

Also it's mildly funny that Ariadne is described as 'she who was complaining much' = ovid doesn't give us a big long speech because he's just had us listening to Scylla wittering on for about an age.

Scylla's indecisiveness and contradictory stuff she says 'may the hoped for marriage amount to nothing rather than I may be made capable of betrayl' then what does she do? She betrays her father and fatherland
bonus fortuna! How were your exams? I had four friends who did the latin exam but three of them gave in a cheque to cancel their exam last minute and basically gave up a year of Latin AS . . . our whole school only has one person sitting the exam . . . he's under such pressure . . .

Latest