The Student Room Group

The effect of temperature on enzyme activity

Hopefully someone out there has done this experiment?? I'm doing an on-line course all alone, and I'm lost on this one. This experiment is done with beef liver, and hydrogen peroxide. I need to do the following objectives:

1. Demonstrate the fact that as the temp. of the environment is changed, the rate of an enzymatic reaction changes also.

2. Critically analyze the results of the investigation.

Has anyone done that, and can you please tell me what you learned from it? Thanks soooooo much!!!!
Reply 1
guera88
Hopefully someone out there has done this experiment?? I'm doing an on-line course all alone, and I'm lost on this one. This experiment is done with beef liver, and hydrogen peroxide. I need to do the following objectives:

1. Demonstrate the fact that as the temp. of the environment is changed, the rate of an enzymatic reaction changes also.

Has anyone done that, and can you please tell me what you learned from it? Thanks soooooo much!!!!

I'm not quite sure if you're looking for experimental details or results or discussion or what, so I'll just give a very brief outline. The liver contains the enzyme 'catalase' which catalyses the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide: 2H2O2(aq) -> O2(g) + 2H2O(l). Though a crude method, the liver could be incubated with an excess of H2O2 and the volume of oxygen released in a given amount of time measured, allowing one to calculate a rate of reaction. Repeat at different temperatures then plot the results as temperature vs rate of reaction to produce a graph not dissimilar to this http://faculty.clintoncc.suny.edu/faculty/Michael.Gregory/files/Bio%20101/Bio%20101%20Lectures/Energy/energy10.gif. The results could then be explained by taking into account collision theory and catalase protein stability. There are cellular considerations also as liver (!!!) was used instead of purified catalase, but this isn't central.
Reply 2
Thanks for the info. Yes, I'm looking for a discussion about the lab. I already did the lab and I have the results based on temps. of 5 degrees C, 10 , 25, 30, 35 and 50 (all degress celcius). I need to explain how any incorrect hypotheses have to modified for a future experiement? And Explain the biology behind the effect of temp. on enzyme function. Also, how can this all be applied to my personal/professional life?

Any help with this would be great, great, great!
Thanks!
Reply 3
It can be applied in your personal life if you look at hypothermia...if your body's temperature drops much below 37 your enzymes stop working and you're in trouble!!!
guera88

I've done something similar. Remember that with enzymes and temperature, there is almost always an optimal peak, so if the temp is above or below that for it to happen, then the enzyme won't work as efficiently or something like that. Lol, sorry it was last year for me, just doing psych now :redface:

DB_x

Latest

Trending

Trending