The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Noticing all a trend - loads of people found the Close Reading either easy or ok - so Id imagine the pass mark will be raised quite a bit then :frown:

I did The Cone Gatherers for a question which had an important time and place setting and did Visiting Hour for an emotion of loss.

Not sure if I wrote the question number in the margin for Essay 2 - but it begins " 'Visiting Hour' by Norman MacCaig is a poem which explores the theme of loss" or something like that - so surely they can find what ive done.

Damn I hope I did write it in the margin but yet we'll never know lol.
C274
I'm thinking the exact same thing about your question. I was so tempted to do that question based on my isolation essay but I didn't think I'd be able to work it, so went for turning point.

So that's two Revelation questions I missed...damnit :|

Ah good, that's reassuring. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't done something stupid and completely misunderstood the point of the question. Hope everyone thought that the exam went well.
C274
So that's two Revelation questions I missed...damnit :|

:frown:
I started writing "revelation" for the contrast question, but then I realises I only knew a few things to write so changed to childhood :p: Hopefully its a pass :s-smilie:
Reply 23
The understanding questions were great ^ ^

My essays were too top heavy lool I gave myself about 20mins for my second essay :s
Yeah I did pick out that "grotesquely unfair" and said how grotesque connoted disgust, something ugly, something you couldn't bare to think about etc. and how that related to the severity of the unfairness if we were denied the right to fly and stuff along those lines. I basically said it was apowerful word because of the images/feelings it evoked and how this emphasised the writer's points etc.

I think that CR paper was really straightforward, I just spent most of the time trying to think of my own words to write with so I wasn't just copying the writer :P. The analysis questions weren't too hard either, you could choose what you analysed which was nice.
Reply 25
I think I have doe something stupid for the second essay. I done question 15 but I think i wrote it was question 12 in the margin. Im not to sure if I did.

If I did make this mistake will the markers assume it was meant to bequestion 15 because from the essay its obvious it was question 15.
bananaslug77
Yeah I did pick out that "grotesquely unfair"

Was that the imagery question?
Good to hear that you all seem reasonably confident.

desert
Damn I hope I did write it in the margin but yet we'll never know lol.

chelski786
If I did make this mistake will the markers assume it was meant to bequestion 15 because from the essay its obvious it was question 15.

I wrote the wrong number for one of my essays (changed my mind and forgot to update it) and got a band 1. I wouldn't worry, I think they'll exercise a reasonable degree of common sense. :-)
Reply 28
Is it just me or was the close reading fairly easy?
i don't know if i done it right but for a lot of the understanding questions i just put down 'the writers thoughts' or 'what he meant by...' in my own workds and didnt really quote much for those questions...Did anyone else do that?

Critical essay was alright :smile: i cringed a bit when i saw the poetry but one of my pems fitted perfectly into the emotion one..thankyou Iain Crichton Smith!
Reply 29
Ape Gone Insane
In one of the questions it was A/E, can't remember the question..did anyone quote "grotesquely unfair" then analyze that?

No, but I analysed it. :p:

Poetry questions were a breeze, but I've outright failed the one on prose: my choice was terrible, the structure was weak, analysis was weak and I didn't even conclude it.

Thank FSM for appeals!
NinjaBread
Was that the imagery question?

Yeah it was :smile: I think there was another image you could have analysed - the metaphor of the arena and the audience taking a deep breath or something, but I thought that was too complicated and my hand was sore by that point so I went for the easy option.

:smile:
Reply 31
desert
Noticing all a trend - loads of people found the Close Reading either easy or ok - so Id imagine the pass mark will be raised quite a bit then :frown:

That's a good point... :frown:
Reply 32
I think the pass mark will increase this year. Im guessing around 68% for an A.
Reply 33
Glad that's over!!

I thought the close reading went really well, and it was on a topic which I am quite interested in which is always good, although initially I had no idea which one I was going to say I preferred for the last question. I ended up going with the second one for the more personal tone, although to be honest the second one did get on my nerves a bit :p:

As for the critical essays, could have gone worse, could have gone better. I did the question on obsession for Macbeth and the question on love for The Great Gatsby.

If the cut offs stay the same this year, I reckon I managed a B. Here's hoping!
That question in which you all commented on about "grotesquely unfair" was about language. Q7 and was Analysis/Evaluation. I basically said how "innovate and engineer" links back effectivley to the penultimate paragraph, creating a hopeful tone - we cold innovate our way out of the last so called "catastrophe" (by being better at getting food supplys) and said how that creates a relativley hopeful tone that we can get through this without having to restrict people's ways of life.
bananaslug77
Yeah it was :smile: I think there was another image you could have analysed - the metaphor of the arena and the audience taking a deep breath or something, but I thought that was too complicated and my hand was sore by that point so I went for the easy option.

Ahh ok thanks :biggrin:
I wasn't sure what the image was but Im sure I did quote that grotesquely but whether or not I explained it properly :s-smilie:
fingers crossed my mockingbird essay will pull my overall mark up
chelski786
I think the pass mark will increase this year. Im guessing around 68% for an A.

Looking on the SQA website, I've never seen it go above 70%. It was like 63% for 3 years running then 65%, so I can't imagine it going over the 70 mark.

Im beginning to think my analysis was poor - like I said - the word choice of "x" shows his disapporving tone - but not really how :frown: - I wrote loads as well - its always the same with english and me - I never really know how i've done then I begin to think its really poor.

All I want is a C - PLEEEEEASSSSSE :smile:
Ape Gone Insane
No. The unfair one was the use of language from passage 1.

And the scarred imagery one involving the sharp intake of breath was passage 2 involving the imagery question.

Both were A/E.

For the one on the second passage (Q9c), I analysed "scarred by routes." I always seem to do the uncommon thing in Close Reading. :biggrin:

By the way if anyone wants to know any specific questions, I have a copy of both papers so feel free to ask. Can't scan them unfortunatley.
Reply 39
I have the papers if anyone needs a question lol

Close reading was good

I'm an absolute idiot though perfect questions came up for Lear and Tess and I'm absolutley sure that I messed it up and didn't answer the question because my ideas are absolutley off the wall haha

Like the one about love betrayal I managed to get preconceptions and socitey to illustrate how angel rejected and therfore berayed tess and that shows that love can be based on societies views

oh god :|

Latest

Trending

Trending