The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
***Hannah***
You might just scrape it.

Yes I know! But I am surely not gonna lose 29 marks O___O I think I lost about 15 xD
O well resetting it next year :biggrin:
Haruhi
Yes I know! But I am surely not gonna lose 29 marks O___O I think I lost about 15 xD
O well resetting it next year :biggrin:

Losing 15 will be an A lol...:rolleyes:

Why resit?
ahh bugger, I wrote "the energy stored in the stretched cord as elastic strain energy, which is the same as the work done to stretch it", but its not - because some energy is lost, as the unloading curve shows. I will probably lose the marks, for the wrong part of my answer
Reply 183
***Hannah***
Cool.

I wrote that...:smile:

i think i put energy stored :confused:
MarcusTheEskimo
Or just use n=3 and you get a sinx value greater than 1, which never happens.

Phew! Thanks for posting that - i did the same and thought i may have made a mistake because no-one was mentioning it :awesome:
Reply 185
***Hannah***
Losing 15 will be an A lol...:rolleyes:

Why resit?

Thats me... I say I lost 15 and I end up losing 50. lol @ me trying to get my hopes up xD

I literally just revised the night before so yea... total failure.
adamavfc
i think i put energy stored :confused:

Initially I thought my answer was wrong and yours was correct.

But then somebody told me I was right and gave me an explanation and I trusted them.

Ask who ever told me it's Work Done in this thread...
Reply 187
***Hannah***
Cool.

I wrote that...:smile:

I wrote the its the Elastic potential energy, F1/2 Delta L. It's kinda the same as work done, would i get the mark?

As for the significant figures, you lose 1 mark for the whole paper if SF aren't used and 12 marks for no units. According to my teacher.
Ahmed_7
I wrote the its the Elastic potential energy, F1/2 Delta L. It's kinda the same as work done, would i get the mark?

As for the significant figures, you lose 1 mark for the whole paper if SF aren't used and 12 marks for no units. According to my teacher.

So even if like 5 of them are not 3 s.f I only lose 1 mark?

That's quite good...:smile:

And I am not sure, you could possibly get a mark for Epot, again depends on the examiner and if the mark scheme says allow this and allow that.
how many sig figs did you put for the time to reach the top of the liquid, where it said specifically you will be marked for sig figs??

I put 2, as all the data in the question was to 2 sf
Mr Nonsense
how many sig figs did you put for the time to reach the top of the liquid, where it said specifically you will be marked for sig figs??

I put 2, as all the data in the question was to 2 sf

On some I put a suitable number on some I left the answer like 43969547.1...:confused:
For the phase difference I used 2pid/lambda

That equalled 2x0.5pi/0.4

Which equals 2.5pi or 450 degrees.

Is that correct?
Oh and for the area under the curve - I put the stored elastic energy, but that sounds wrong.
MarcusTheEskimo
For the phase difference I used 2pid/lambda

That equalled 2x0.5pi/0.4

Which equals 2.5pi or 450 degrees.

Is that correct?

Nope sorry it was pii/2 or 90 degrees.
MarcusTheEskimo
Oh and for the area under the curve - I put the stored elastic energy, but that sounds wrong.

I put work done and somebody on here said that's correct.

I'm not sure of the answer, it could be both of them.
***Hannah***
I put work done and somebody on here said that's correct.

I'm not sure of the answer, it could be both of them.

I did it both ways, and you get the same answer either way.

In fact, the work done is a better method :yep:
how many marks do you think you can afford to lose on this paper and still get 120 UMS?
Reply 197
It would probably say: Work done. (accept elastic potential)

Unless they are totally different things?
Mr Nonsense
how many marks do you think you can afford to lose on this paper and still get 120 UMS?

Maybe 1-2.

I think an A will be anything from 50-53.
Ahmed_7
It would probably say: Work done. (accept elastic potential)

Unless they are totally different things?

Hmm, I'm not sure.
I put elastic potential energy stored in the coil, but now think that is wrong. Because the fact that the unloading curve is below the loading curve, this suggests that not all the work done to stretch it, is recovered when it is unloaded. i.e. some is lost as friction.

How do you think they'll mark mine: "the elastic strain energy stored in the stretched coil which is the work done to stretch it" ??

Latest

Trending

Trending