The Student Room Group
Reply 1
mwest
:eek3: :eek: :confused:
Knowing that I have never done physics in my life except from looking at light waves through a curved piece of glass in second year. I have taken physics at higher level this year whilst doing 2 AH in chem and bio . . :o: am i high ? or something.
well any physicists out there that can tell me with what i need to know even before beginning this course ? thanks

Im crashing it too! You are not alone. Can i just ask, because I am in such a dilemma right now subject wise, if you took another subject? Right now im doing bio and chemistry AH, higher physics and AH maths. Im not sure if I've made the right decision :frown: Ill probably curl up in a corner and cry..
Reply 2
i did int 2 and higher physics, got an A at int 2 so i'd say i was quite good at it.
basically, i'd advise you to do as many past papers as possible.
i started them after completing unit 1 and it really helped. it consolidates what you've done in class so makes you feel better about the whole course.
furthermore DO NOT worry about uncertainties, you'll understand them about half way through the course, and in the exam, you only really get asked about random uncertainties which are easy to understand and the formula is given in the data book.
good luck!
x
Reply 3
Emzzzz:)x
Im crashing it too! You are not alone. Can i just ask, because I am in such a dilemma right now subject wise, if you took another subject? Right now im doing bio and chemistry AH, higher physics and AH maths. Im not sure if I've made the right decision :frown: Ill probably curl up in a corner and cry..

Emzzz : Well I am sitting AH chem and Bio and crashing physics this year lol was going to take maths and said wow that is too big a year and I dont know if it was wise to crash physics.

Emilyy : yeah well i dont know if i have the physics head yet, we started uncertainties today and to be honest i grasped the idea of them and hope im hoping it was on the right lines i got them well thanks and good luck to you both aswell.
Are you taking just 2 AHs and a higher? Hmmm... We've only had 2 periods of practical so far and I can just tell I'm not going to like the rest of AH chemistry. If I find I can't put up with Mr. Simpson's unhelpfulness ("It's not MY experiment" :s-smilie: :p: ), I might consider dropping it after Summer, the most viable option being to crash higher physics - (how sweet would it be dropping his class for an "inferior" science :biggrin:).
Reply 5
I'm crashing it too and have been assured by people who just did the higher that I'll regret it. Oh well!
Reply 6
Theres no reason why you couldn't pass crashing higher physics.
If you know how to manipulate equations (which are given to you) and if you can remember the odd explanation then higher physics will be a breeze.

Just read, read and read over the notes - how to pass higher physics is ok for notes and you should pass the subject.
I'm crashing it this year too, although I'm in fifth year (well, going into fifth year), not sixth year like most people on this thread I think. I've been given an SG textbook, revision notes and past papers for every unit. So I can catch up "over the summer". Like I've nothing better to do! But talking to people who do the subject, they say the most important thing is to learn the basic equations that you need to know for SG, which are in the back of my revision notes book. Like acceleration, % efficiency, force, focal length etc. And I think I'll read through the revision notes too, if I get the time and energy to! Maybe see if you can get a hold of a set off the physics department? I think they'll be pretty useful, these are P&N ones but I'm sure there are lots of different ones that basically summarise the SG course. I think there's probably a lot that will never come up again at higher though. And I've sort of started the higher course in the meantime in class, graphs of motion is all really, apparently the easy bit. Once I got my head around all the new phrases (saying speed is apparently forbidden!) it seems straightforwards enough, but like you, the last I done of physics was light rays through glass! And the colour spectrum. That was fun... Have you started the higher course at all then? I'm sure you'll do fine, I thought I was a bit crazy for doing it and still do, but we'll see how it goes! Out of interest, what are you planning to do after school?
I'd ask for a SG textbook and familiarise yourself with the basics.
Reply 9
I did Int 2 last year (predicted A) and feels like I'm crashing it because I have such an awful teacher...

But if you have a good teacher then you should be fine. I know a lot of people that crashed it and they did fine :smile:
im crashing physics this year :smile:
i quite like it, but probably because i hate AH biology
and i havent started higher psychology, oh dear (swapped to this from AH Chem)

im not looking forward to most of unit 2, some kind of bridge and MOSFETS, but we have a song for mosfets, so shouldnt be too terrrible :smile:
HannahLithgow43
im crashing physics this year :smile:
i quite like it, but probably because i hate AH biology
and i havent started higher psychology, oh dear (swapped to this from AH Chem)

im not looking forward to most of unit 2, some kind of bridge and MOSFETS, but we have a song for mosfets, so shouldnt be too terrrible :smile:

That sounds a bit like me lol I'm crashing physics, hating Unit 2 of biology (though unit 1 looks good), and I originally did AH chem but switched (not to psychology though). Well my friends have said that the MOSFETS bit is hard to understand, but the only question thats asked about them in the exam is either a confusing one or a really really easy one (like just identifying its symbol or something). My teacher was saying today that there is a lot of SG stuff you're supposed to just know for Unit 2, so I'll have to read up a lot on it :s-smilie:

btw, the person who started the thread isn't doing H Physics anymore :p:
Reply 12
Many people are crashing higher physics!.... It's the most popular one to crash.... probably because in 2nd year you think its boring but then find as you come to an end of 4th you find you realy need it, so you can get to where you want to go.

The people who will find it easyer to crash will be the ones who have done credit maths and technological studies.
Guybrush_Threepwood
That sounds a bit like me lol I'm crashing physics, hating Unit 2 of biology (though unit 1 looks good), and I originally did AH chem but switched (not to psychology though). Well my friends have said that the MOSFETS bit is hard to understand, but the only question thats asked about them in the exam is either a confusing one or a really really easy one (like just identifying its symbol or something). My teacher was saying today that there is a lot of SG stuff you're supposed to just know for Unit 2, so I'll have to read up a lot on it :s-smilie:

btw, the person who started the thread isn't doing H Physics anymore :p:

yeah, i dont like environmental biology, (i did human last year) so is a bit of a struggle to get intrested in it :confused:

yeah, my friend was saying that, but then again, she failed all prelims and got a B in the exam :smile:

what did you do last year?
im sure well be fine :biggrin:
ment to be easier than higher maths, so thats good :smile:

aww, why did you drop it? wat you drop it for? what you doing at uni?

well, good luck to us both :p:

x
ces8000
Many people are crashing higher physics!.... It's the most popular one to crash.... probably because in 2nd year you think its boring but then find as you come to an end of 4th you find you realy need it, so you can get to where you want to go.

The people who will find it easyer to crash will be the ones who have done credit maths and technological studies.

you dont really need it for much :s-smilie::s-smilie:
just if you want to continue it with it at uni, or do something like mechanics or need it to make up your grades.
i want to go into the pharmaceutical industry, and dont need it at all, just thought it would be better to do than advanced maths.

:p:
HannahLithgow43
yeah, i dont like environmental biology, (i did human last year) so is a bit of a struggle to get intrested in it :confused:

yeah, my friend was saying that, but then again, she failed all prelims and got a B in the exam :smile:

what did you do last year?
im sure well be fine :biggrin:
ment to be easier than higher maths, so thats good :smile:

aww, why did you drop it? wat you drop it for? what you doing at uni?

well, good luck to us both :p:

x

I wish my school had offered higher Human bio :frown: though just plain bio wasn't all that bad i guess lol

My physics teacher has said that (and she's teaching for a while) there have only been a couple of people in the past to crash H physics and none of them did particularly well - though there has been a massive increase of people crashing this year (probably about 3 or 4 :p:), and she's happy that i'm doing good at it :smile:

Last year I did maths music computing chemistry and biology. This year its AH biology AH computing and H physics. What about you?
I think already having a good grade in higher maths helps with physics since you have the logical/mathematical mindset needed.

Just sent my UCAS application away yesterday - applied for various computing and biology related courses. You?

Good luck to us both indeed :biggrin:
Reply 16
I'm Crashing higher physics too, along with AH Biology and Chemistry.
I enjoyed physics unit 1, but not looking forward to unit 2!! One day into it and the circuits are flying straight over my head!! Any other crashers finding unit 2 difficult?? :s-smilie: :s-smilie:
E-S-O
I'm Crashing higher physics too, along with AH Biology and Chemistry.
I enjoyed physics unit 1, but not looking forward to unit 2!! One day into it and the circuits are flying straight over my head!! Any other crashers finding unit 2 difficult?? :s-smilie: :s-smilie:

Well for the first day of Unit 2 our teacher was off so we just had to do some revision - even just the SG stuff was confusing :s-smilie: but when she's actually here to explain it, it should be better. One thing I do like is that all our notes are yellow now (makes a change from the pink notes for Unit 1 :p:
Reply 18
Guybrush_Threepwood
Well for the first day of Unit 2 our teacher was off so we just had to do some revision - even just the SG stuff was confusing :s-smilie: but when she's actually here to explain it, it should be better. One thing I do like is that all our notes are yellow now (makes a change from the pink notes for Unit 1 :p:

Our notes have went from yellow to pink!! :biggrin: and already I wish they were yellow again!!! :s-smilie: :biggrin:
E-S-O
Our notes have went from yellow to pink!! :biggrin: and already I wish they were yellow again!!! :s-smilie: :biggrin:

:p: :yep: :biggrin:
Well apparently our Unit 3 notes are green, so come on Unit 3!! :cool:
Well also, I've already done some of the radiation stuff that's in Unit 3 (from Unit 3 of Higher Chem :smile: ).

Latest

Trending

Trending