The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
"Briton".

As for what made him great: a rose-tinted view of wars and a shedload of propaganda. Frankly I just don't see him as that great at all.
Reply 2
I don't know, frankly he's overrated, I can think of much better people for that position.
Being the wartime Prime Minsiter, I'm guessing had a huge influence.
Reply 4
He was the leader when Britain won a very important war. The win was of epic proportions.
Democracy
I don't know, frankly he's overrated, I can think of much better people for that position.

Shakespeare. :yep:
Reply 6
Pretty ironic, since he lost the first election after the war.

To be honest, there aren't a huge amount of contenders for that title.
With a poll that reeks of nationalism as much as "The Greatest Briton of all time" it's no surprise that a wartime leader won.
Reply 8
Not the Greatest but Great.
Guys
I recently published a book about Churchill in America, called Churchill's Secret Skills which took a few years of research.
Before I started I had a the same view of Churchill as most people, he was the wartime leader that made great speeches etc.
I don't have the complete grasp of British History that would allow me to definitively state that Churchill was the greatest Briton of all time, and it is true that there have been a great many to compete with.
What I am fairly certain of is that without Churchill we would have succumbed to Nazi tyranny and would all have German as a first language.
As dramatic as it sounds it really is that black and white. It is therefore not surprising that most people would classify him as the greatest Briton.

Binden Shovel - Not a student - middle aged bloke thankfully still in a job
Reply 10
He is probably the greatest Briton of all time. From what I know of him he metaphorically punched Hitler in the face during the run-up to and duration of WW2 - constantly denouncing him in parliament and convincing people that just because he was holding back the tide of Communism from Russia didn't mean he was a good man :/. Without Churchill it is likely the policy of appeasement would have continued in one form or the other until as a previous poster said "we'd all be speaking German". Yeah Churchill was a warmonger and made some controversial and heartless decisions but that was the world in which he found himself so you can't really blame him for that. Churchill made it quite clear from the moment he took office that no amount of wooing would make Britain support the Nazis and no amount of bombs would make Britain surrender.
/rant :P
Reply 11
Democracy

Sorry to inform you, but Vladimir Lenin and Joseph Stalin were not British - sorry to burst your bubble there, Democracy.
He was the greatest hero in Britain's history, of many notable achievements across all disciplines. Of course, he is most well known for his brilliant and daring acts of bravery in World War II. Not only did he save Singapore from the evil hordes of the Rising Sun in a brave standoff that would have broken an ordinary man, but he single handedly cracked the Nazi codes and used them to save Coventry, leading a vastly outnumbered Spitfire squadron to fend off Goering's evil Luftwaffle. However, his most famous, bold, daring, and truly British act of all was when he infiltrated Berlin and kicked Hitler in the ********, putting an end to 12 years of bad taste, pedophilia, and swastikas. He was promptly made King for his GODLIKE endeavours and services to the British Empire, but alas, he was assassinated by KGB spies soon after his coronation.
The Greatest Briton ever, even the greatest man who ever lived. Brings a tear of pride to the eye.
beckyyy
Sorry to inform you, but Vladimir Lenin and Joseph Stalin were not British - sorry to burst your bubble there, Democracy.

Congratulations, if I supported Marxism Leninism or Stalinism that would have been shockingly insulting to me :rolleyes: Don't you have anyone else to bother?
Reply 14
He was crap.

Went to war when Poland was invaded only to sell Poland out to the Russians six years later anyway - and bankrupted the country in the process.

Churchill was a first class tit.
Well, whether or not you dislike him - he was there during several significant events in British History - Boer War etc
Howard
He was crap.

Went to war when Poland was invaded only to sell Poland out to the Russians six years later anyway - and bankrupted the country in the process.

Churchill was a first class tit.

Sorry this is an old thread and all. But that was Chamberlain not Churchill. Now go and learn some history.
He had a spine, good speeches and was respectable. He didn't pretend to be something he wasn't and he spoke his mind.
Reply 18
His greatness was more a spoil of war than actual greatness in my opinion.
Reply 19
adamrules247
Sorry this is an old thread and all. But that was Chamberlain not Churchill. Now go and learn some history.

Well, you're half right. Chamberlain went to war but Churchill did sell out Poland to the Russians and did practically bancrupt the country.

So, go and read the other half of your text book.

Latest

Trending

Trending